Feeling rough – could it be the Teff flour?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Feeling rough – could it be the Teff flour?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  AngelaL 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

AngelaL
    Participant
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 55

I tried teff for the first time yesterday – and today and I now feel dreadful – weak, sick suffering from diarrhea. Has anyone else had a similar reaction? Sadly though I like the taste and texture, it looks like something I’ll be giving a miss in the future …

Paperstars
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 47

I didn’t have quite the same reaction to you, but I didn’t tolerate Teff flour either as one of the gluten-free flours, including Sorghum and Quinoa which are all popular non-gluten flours. I was quite sad to find it that way too since it did seem add a nice texture and have gluten-like properties making the batter sticky when I was making pancakes. But I find adding a little rice-bran helps with that though it seems to alter the pancakes texture and the way they are cooked in a non-desirable way…but it’s still edible 🙂

I personally find I tend to not be able to tolerate some of the allowed food items on the Candida diet and yet be able to tolerate some of the restricted items, like rice and milk perfectly fine.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

I liked the teff, too, but it doesn’t agree with me either. I can actually do quinoa, sorghum, and millet the best for me.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

Different from everyone else as well probably.

AngelaL
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback. I normally stick to coconut flour and almond meal – I’ve tried buckwheat flour and though I don’t have any problems with it I don’t like the end results. It’s a shame about the teff but it made me feel so ill and kicked off my IBS to the extent that I probably won’t try it again.

Having said that I used to have the same reaction to flaxseed but now I’m fine with it – as long as I soak it overnight.

Paperstars
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 47

Another flour (kind of) I’m considering is hemp protein. At least where I am, hemp flour seems to be more expensive than the protein powder usually used for bodybuilders for some reason but it can still be used to bake a bunch of goodies like breads. There was a thread on it actually.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst3385_Hemp-Protein-Bread.aspx

You could look into that as an alternative.

AngelaL
    Participant

Paperstars;58023 wrote: Another flour (kind of) I’m considering is hemp protein. At least where I am, hemp flour seems to be more expensive than the protein powder usually used for bodybuilders for some reason but it can still be used to bake a bunch of goodies like breads. There was a thread on it actually.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst3385_Hemp-Protein-Bread.aspx

You could look into that as an alternative.

I do have hemp seeds and I have purchased hemp protein powder in the past but I don’t think I’ve ever seen hemp flour for sale in my local health food shop – I assume it’s just hemp seeds that have been milled more finely. Hemp protein powder would probably work as well – I’ve always used Almond meal instead of almond flour and that works just fine for me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Feeling rough – could it be the Teff flour?’ is closed to new replies.