Favorite Recipes

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Favorite Recipes

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  mrs.candida 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Emsmith
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 137

Hello all,
    I’ve tried new foods I’ve never even heard of before and enjoyed some of them, but I was hoping you guys could share a few of your favorite recipes. I love the cauli-rice. I’m gonna try rutabega fries for the first time tonight. Never knew sauerkraut was so easy to make. I’ve browsed the recipe section but it’s easier w/personal recommendations.

Also what’s wrong with Braggs liquid aminos?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I like the pumpkin pie muffin (bread) and raster’s buckwheat/teff/coconut/almond flour bread.
    Rutabega is pretty good stuff, I recently started eating it and its a great potato replacement.

I have a good buckwheat recipe I haven’t posted:
    -salt
    -olive oil
    -rosemary
    -basil
    -buckwheat

-raster

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

Coffee flavoured coconut cup cake recipe:

-50g of desiccated coconut
    -200g liquid egg whites
    -1 egg
    -30g of coconut flour
    -1/4 teaspoon
    -1 heaped teaspoons of stevia
    -2-3 teaspoons on roasted chicory coffee/drink
    -coconut oil in cake cases
    -5g of l-glutamine

Blend all ingredients together, place in 5-6 cake cases & put in pre-heated oven for 10-12 min, or just when the top seals.

Take out & put in freezer for 1-2 hours.

Really yummy.

Emsmith
    Participant

Can’t wait to try these! Thanks again, I find pinterest helpful sometimes. I recently saw a dehydrated kale chip recipe that uses nutritional yeast and soaked sunflower seeds. Haven’t tried it yet, but will let you know when I do. Haven’t been able to find dandelion or mustard greens and I have no clue was rhubarb and kohlrabi are but 2013 is the year to find out!!

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

i love kohlrabi. it’s in the same family as broccoli and cabbage. it tastes a little like broccoli stems and apples got together to make a really mild, crisp lovechild. i like it raw best, but i think it can be subbed for broccoli or radish pretty easily in cooked dishes.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

i’m also really curious to know what rhubarb is like when it’s not mixed with strawberries and sugar. word of caution, don’t eat rhubarb leaves! i’ve heard they’re pretty poisonous.

Emsmith
    Participant

Kohlrabi sounds great! Just cant seem to find it, saw this fermented kohlrabi pickle recipe on pinterest…

2-3 large kohlrabi bulbs
    2 Tbsp high-quality sea salt (Himalayan pink salt, Real Salt, or Maldon are excellent)
    2 Tbsp minced fresh dill
    1 Tbsp whole yellow mustard seeds
    2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed, sliced in half lengthwise
    optional: 1/2-1 tsp red pepper flakes
    1-1 1/2 c filtered water

1 1-qt. glass canning jar, sterilized with boiling water

Wash and peel kohlrabi well, then slice into long sticks about 1/4″ x 1/4″. Arrange sticks in jar, layering with dill and garlic. As you are putting them in jar, press down lightly with a wooden spoon, and continue filling until there is about 1″ between kohlrabi and top of jar.

Mix together salt, 1 cup of water, mustard seeds, and red pepper flakes, and pour over kohlrabi. Add additional water as necessary to cover kohlrabi and fill until there is 1” space at the top. Cover tightly.

Let jar sit out at room temperature (ideally, 65º -70º F) for 3-4 days in a dark place on a plate or in a small dish to catch any possible leaks.. Hotter temperatures will make things ferment more quickly, cooler temperatures will make for slower fermentation. you may notice hissing sounds coming from the jar – that’s a good thing! After 3 days, carefully open jar over the sink (pressure builds up and it may fizz when you open), and try a pickle. It will be very salty, and should taste tart, slightly sour and yeasty. If not sour enough for your tastes, put cover back on and let sit another day or two.

Transfer to cold storage after fermenting. Can be eaten immediately, or kept for up to 6 months in the refrigerator. The flavor gets better with age

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I have few suggestions that come from my own experience.

OK, first I suggest you try collard greens. We are supposed to eat a lot of green leafy vegetables but spinach and lettuce gets old quickly, swiss chard is way to common, I do not have access to kale or mustard greens, so several months ago (I’m on the diet for about a year now) I moved onto collard greens. It took me a while to figure out how I like them cooked, and after I googled the health benefits of this vegetable and realized it’s off the charts with detoxing, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, I realized it’s worth the trouble. One thing you must be careful about when preparing collard greens is do not overcook it! Slice leaves into 1/2 inch slices and stems into 1/4 inch pieces and steam for not longer than 5 minutes. After that you have few options of seasoning it. I like to throw it on EVOO, garlic, sea salt and crushed red pepper (slightly hot) and saute quickly on lower temp (not to disturb EVOO health benefits). By the way, this works for any green leafy vegetables as well and it’s so quick to prepare. As for spinach and swiss chard you don’t need to steam first though. Second way I liked it was with crushed fresh garlic and lemon or ACV and sea salt. Other spice that goes well with collard greens: thyme and mint.

I struggled with breakfast on this diet. I cannot make myself eat eggs and similar stuff at 6am. One thing that saved me was Raster’s bread. I played with it to find exact match to my taste and I make it with two cups buckwheat flour, one cup oatbran flour, 4 extra large eggs, tablespoon of baking powder, half a teaspoon of sea salt, EVOO or lard or butter (I change them up as it changes the consistency and taste of bread), and then one or all of the following (at first I did not tolerate any of the listed, but now I can eat all of it): coconut flakes, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, rosemary, sesame seeds. It makes a large loaf of bread that keeps in the fridge for a week, and it lasts me that long as I eat only two slices per day.

Next, I strongly suggest you try bone broth. Here is a really good recipe: http://www.wonderfulingredients.com/soups-on-sunday. This has so many health benefits: repairs intestinal barrier, rehydrates your body and replenishes all of the minerals. I feel as though this returns me back to life after I have it. I make a large batch about once per week, cook it about 18 hours, strain it, measure into portions in jars and store in fridge, then just heat it up in the microwave, add some sea salt and parsley, sometimes some other spices, and just drink a large mug of it after breakfast and as an afternoon drink/snack.

And as long as you have an open mind to try some of the worlds strangest vegetables, perhaps some bone broth, why not try to incorporate some organ meat into your diet and eat it on your “meat days” at least once a week. Just make sure you purchase organic and grass fed if you can. Here is a nice summary of why organ meat is strongly suggested to consume and it’s health benefits: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/04/why-everyone-should-be-eating-organ.html. I usually saute lots of onions on EVOO on low heat and then add cleaned up and sliced up liver to it and saute for a while, until it gets soft and water is gone and onions are turned into sauce (in original recipe slices are dipped into flour, I don’t do this on this diet so this is why I let onion make the sauce). Season it any way you like. Garlic goes great with it too. This is such a great and inexpensive way to add so much of the good nutrition into your diet. It’s way cheaper than meat but offers so much more. Play with it a little, find some great recipes and find a way you can eat it and get used to it.

And if you are willing to try the two suggestions before, then you may also want to try to make a pate out of those two. So remove whatever is left on the bones after making bone broth, including the marrow, then add the leftover sauted liver (including onions), add some fresh crushed garlic, sea salt and pepper to it and grind up in your blender or food processor until it turns into pate. You can eat it with the bread for breakfast.

Another struggle on this diet is drinks. One drink that really impressed me was fresh ginger/lemon tea. I could tolerate this drink when i could not drink simple chamomile tea. So what I do is this: Cut a 1 inch piece of ginger into thin slices (I peel it but they say you don’t have to), put a quart of water on the stove. In the mean time squeeze a juice of one lemon and pour it into the dish you plan to strain your tea into. When water starts boiling, add the sliced ginger root and one half of the squeezed lemon with skin (so opt for organic lemons for this) and turn off the stove. When it stops boiling, strain it into prepared dish. Remove the lemon skin, add about half a quart to 3/4 of water to the remaining ginger root, boil it and then add juice of half lemon to get a second slightly milder batch of ginger/lemon tea. You could also save the other half of squeezed lemon and add half of it to the second batch.

And finally, for those of you missing cookies in your life, this recipe http://www.lovefoodeat.com/vegan-pumpkin-oatmeal-cookies/ can effectively be converted into candida friendly (not stage 1 for sure, but when you are able to tolerate something more than detox food) by using oat bran and grind it up into powder and replace sugar with pure stevia. I made them and they were quite decent!

Arijana

Emsmith
    Participant

benc;31998 wrote: Coffee flavoured coconut cup cake recipe:

-50g of desiccated coconut
    -200g liquid egg whites
    -1 egg
    -30g of coconut flour
    -1/4 teaspoon
    -1 heaped teaspoons of stevia
    -2-3 teaspoons on roasted chicory coffee/drink
    -coconut oil in cake cases
    -5g of l-glutamine

Blend all ingredients together, place in 5-6 cake cases & put in pre-heated oven for 10-12 min, or just when the top seals.

Take out & put in freezer for 1-2 hours.

Really yummy.

Ok benc and I spoke… the 1/4 teaspoon is supposed to be baking soda…ended up forgetting this. I guessed on the oven temp @350. Now the chicory are you putting 2 tsp brewed chicory drink or straight chicory root? Bet it’d be good w/cinnamon

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Make Baked Rutabaga Fans!

Use a rutabaga instead of potato in this recipe:
    http://smellslikefoodinhere.blogspot.nl/2009/11/russet-baked-potato-fans-aka-hasselback.html

I use chopsticks for a knife guide, so I don’t cut through.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Favorite Recipes’ is closed to new replies.