fasting for candida?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions fasting for candida?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  cj 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

cj
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Im new here, so I apologize if this has been covered previously.

I recently had my first set of amalgam fillings removed, which set off a healing crisis for me, and reactivated my multiple chemical sensitivity symptoms. As in the past I immediately went onto a detox diet. I was very sick this time, and after a while of the diet I began to have allergic reactions to everything I ate. This is when i came across information on leaky gut, and made the assumption that my detox was killing a candida overgrowth, and thus my problems.

I resumed a normal diet, and the food allergies abated. To test this theory i then started to use oil or oregano, and again developed food allergies, due to more die off i would assume.

So here is my question. If eating makes me sick when on a candida cleanse, why not just use the old fasting technique. Fasting was one of the most common treatments prior to WWII, and involves nothing more than abstaining from food, and drinking only water, while under the care of a physician. Would this not allow the fungal overgrowth to die off, while not aggravating an immune response? Once the fast was completed, then early introduction of probiotics would in theory help to rebuild proper gut flora.

I know its almost impossible to find a doctor these days who will prescribe, much less supervise a long term fast, but after reading stories about people losing everything searching for treatment, isnt this an option that might be explored?

Thoughts or suggestions? I go to see my MD/Naturopath next week, and I want to request this. Any feedback would be gratefully accepted.

My background: I have had problems for years ranging from chronic fatigue to multiple chemical sensitivities, and now a candida overgrowth. I have found that these three problems are all tied together for me. In order to get past my brain fog and chronic fatigue I have had to completely redesign my living space to get rid of all chemicals and synthetics. My diet is very strict, and i try to follow these principles:

1. High quality purified water (with chemical removal)
    2. Zero chemical additives in food
    3. Minimize processed foods
    4. Vegan when possible (99%)
    5. Organic (use EPL dirty dozen list)
    6. Gluten free
    7. Local (Ayuervedic and Chinese medicine say eat from your climate)

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

CJ,

I have done many water fasts and read a couple of books on the subject as well. Water fasting is an amazing way to cleanse the body and I believe it is natures intended way for us to purify our bodies. However, there is considerable debate regarding whether it could rid the body of candida overgrowth. Most experts claim a fast of 30-40 days would be required and of course even then you won’t be sure to get rid of it. Most experts recommend a supervised fast if you are fasting beyond a few days. There is one well known fasting clinic in California.

There is also the issue of leaky gut. As we all know where there is smoke there is fire. If you have candida, you have a leaky gut. There is also much debate about whether the body can heal a leaky guy on it’s own. So even if you manage to eradicate most of the candida, if your gut is not healed the problem will begin again. There is also debate about some good bacteria being lost during the fast as well.

I did fasts of 6, 10, 18 day and numerous single day fasts over the last 1.5 years. If you have done some research on the subject then you realize the tremendous healing that can take place during a water fast. When the body is freed of work of digestion it can devote all of it’s energy on healing. It takes roughly 50% o0f the bodies energy to digest a single meal. So there is undeniable repair of different problems within your body that occur during a fast.

There is also a new debate in the Autism community that many cases of Autism may be the result of mothers feeding their infants with baby formula’s made in factories rather than their own breast milk. Breast milk contains Colostrum which heals the lining of the stomach. So it is believed that when we are born our stomach linings are not fully healed and nature intended the mother’s milk to help it heal for us.

I brought this up because the concept is the same. Most of got into this mess putting things like pharmaceutical poisons in our bodies. Nature never intended for us this to occur. It may be possible that our bodies can’t heal the lining of our stomachs on it’s own. You may need the glutathione from food sources, supplements, colostrum, etc. The broad point is fasting is beneficial, but think of it as a tool. You will likely need other things to help you beat this battle.

Any fasting you can do is beneficial to the body and the digestion system. So it can rest and repair itself. Even just skipping one meal helps. Lately I have been skipping dinner every night. So essentially, I fast for about 18 hours every day. I take only supplements and water during this time.

Floggi
    Replies: 425

cj;53224 wrote: Would [fasting] not allow the fungal overgrowth to die off, while not aggravating an immune response?

Fasting not only kills candida, it kills much more of the gut flora. You just end up killing a lot of bacteria, both the good and the bad.

It is often said that the bad bacteria are more resilient than the good ones. That’s why any space that becomes free after the good ones die, will quickly be colonized by the bad ones.

Thus, fasting is not necessarily a good idea.

cj;53224 wrote: 7. Local (Ayuervedic and Chinese medicine say eat from your climate)

Eating from your climate is fine if you happen to live in a climate that provides for a large variety of food year-round.

If you happen to live in a snowy climate, eating from your climate means you’ll have severe lack of vitamins during the winter months.

In any climate, eating only locally produced food may result in lack of minerals that don’t happen to be abundant in your surroundings.

kodaz2005;53487 wrote: There is also a new debate in the Autism community that many cases of Autism may be the result of mothers feeding their infants with baby formula’s made in factories rather than their own breast milk.

There may be a debate allright. This debate is not based on any evidence whatsoever. It’s purely speculative.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

Floggi;53489 wrote:

Would [fasting] not allow the fungal overgrowth to die off, while not aggravating an immune response?

Fasting not only kills candida, it kills much more of the gut flora. You just end up killing a lot of bacteria, both the good and the bad.

It is often said that the bad bacteria are more resilient than the good ones. That’s why any space that becomes free after the good ones die, will quickly be colonized by the bad ones.

Thus, fasting is not necessarily a good idea.

cj;53224 wrote: 7. Local (Ayuervedic and Chinese medicine say eat from your climate)

Eating from your climate is fine if you happen to live in a climate that provides for a large variety of food year-round.

If you happen to live in a snowy climate, eating from your climate means you’ll have severe lack of vitamins during the winter months.

In any climate, eating only locally produced food may result in lack of minerals that don’t happen to be abundant in your surroundings.

kodaz2005;53487 wrote: There is also a new debate in the Autism community that many cases of Autism may be the result of mothers feeding their infants with baby formula’s made in factories rather than their own breast milk.

There may be a debate allright. This debate is not based on any evidence whatsoever. It’s purely speculative.

One thing that really annoys me is when ignorant people like you post misinformation and don’t provide any factual based links to back up your off the wall comments. It’s currently a scientific theory that is being investigated by the medical community. In the future hopefully you will refrain from posting about a subject that clearly you know nothing about.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/11/131106202408.htmnt

Floggi

Correct. Thanks for supporting my position, though your choice of wording is somewhat remarkable.

It’s a theory indeed. An unproven theory. It is being investigated. The outcome is yet unknown, else it wouldn’t be investigated.

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

Kodaz, just so you know, Floggi is someone that works for Big Pharma and gets paid to infiltrate forums like this to mislead people. Anyone reading his posts should do pretty much the opposite of whatever he says.

Cj, since you had a reaction after having your first set of amalgams removed I’m going to ahead and say that mercury is almost certainly a problem for you. Have you heard of Andy Cutler and his chelation protocol? It’s by far the safest and most effective protocol focused on detoxing mercury IMO. I have to highly recommend you check out his book Amalgam Illness. I’m sure you will relate with what he has to say. Here’s an amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Amalgam-Illness-Diagnosis-Treatment-Better/dp/0967616808

If you want to preview the book before buying or simply don’t have the money here’s a torrent:
    http://kickass.to/andrew-hall-cutler-amalgam-illness-t6533350.html

Also, here’s an incredibly useful site with lots of information that should be pertinent to you: http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

Floggi

Of course I am not paid for anything. But whatever I say, some people just do anythink they can to shoot the messenger.

ThomasJoel2, one question: do you really think your kind of behaviour is acceptable?

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Water fasting does not work for people that have fungal candida. The fungal candida will start to produce enzymes that degrade tissue/cells for food. This is its natural instinct to survive/decompose matter. Someone who has mild yeast overgrowth might be able to get away with a water fast but it would be more to give the body a break from digestion or detoxify than it would be to downsize candida. Trying to starve candida can cause it to be more invasive and go fungal. Especially if someone has little good gut flora to keep candida in check/turning fungal.

cj
    Replies: 1

Thanks for the responses. I have no doubt there there are people cruising forums like this one, inserting damaging and incorrect ideas. Its nice to know that there are still individuals out there willing to post helpful and truthful information.

Just for the record, I was born and grew up in a mobile home. I suffered continual nasal infections, which resulted in six courses of antibiotics in my first 12 months, and later had my tonsils and adenoids removed. Luckily I could not tolerate formula, and was fed on raw cows milk from a farmer down the road. It seems that these two things are actually quite significant in terms of my health today.

My Doc did not respond well to the fasting idea, but did know quite a bit about leaky gut, candida, and the other topics that you guys put foreword. Anyone who thinks food like substances are a replacement for real food should give their heads a shake.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘fasting for candida?’ is closed to new replies.