Fast and easy flavor boost

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Fast and easy flavor boost

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Hope 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

carrotflowers
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 7

Hi there! I just wanted to post a quick food tip!

When I’m short on time, but bored of plain vegetables/grains, I sprinkle some garlic powder, and squeeze some lemon over my food, and voila! A whole new flavor! It definitely makes all this bland food more exciting. I just had it last night with steamed carrots, green beans and quinoa.

Also, I’ve been using “everyday seasoning” from Trader Joe’s. It has sea salt, pepper, coriander, mustard seed, etc. and makes it super easy to spice things up.

Anyone else have any?

SamanthaB
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

Yeah garlic and lemon is a favourite of mine as well. You can also add some paprika, cumin, etc for a more fajita style flavour.

Also, great snack, have you tried home made popcorn? Literally heat up popping corn in a pan with a lid with a bit of oil and then season with salt and pepper when done šŸ™‚

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

I didn’t think corn was allowed in Stage 1. I went back and checked and it’s not on the list of approved foods, but it’s also not on the list of foods to avoid. It’s gluten-free, but it also has a high glycemic index. So, I guess it could go either way (?). I’m doing a combo of this diet and one from a book, and corn is not allowed in the book version.

On the seasoning – I do a lot of Asian-inspired sauteeing with sesame oil, garlic, ginger, onion, and salt. Sometimes adding in sesame seeds, too. If you’re using soy, Bragg’s Amino is approved and is awesome in a combo with the flavors I’ve already mentioned.

I eat buckwheat grits with a little organic butter, garlic butter, salt, and chili powder. Very tasty šŸ™‚

Hope

oops! I meant “garlic SALT” ^^^ not garlic butter šŸ™‚

helmax
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 20

Hope wrote: I didn’t think corn was allowed in Stage 1. I went back and checked and it’s not on the list of approved foods…

I eat buckwheat grits with a little organic butter, garlic butter, salt, and chili powder. Very tasty šŸ™‚

Wow, Hope, those buckwheat grits sound great, I’ve got to get some. Can you tell me where you found yours? I’m hoping I can find them online, because I’m fairly certain I won’t find them in my area.

The only thing I know I would miss would be the buttery taste. Iā€™m not eating dairy period, and even organic butter is a dairy product, isn’t it?

About the corn, I completely agree with you, corn is a starch, pure and simple; I wouldn’t touch it with a 20 foot pole.

Thanks, Max

Hope

Sure, Max šŸ™‚ Here’s a link –Pocono Cream of Buckwheat

Gotta love good ol’ Amazon šŸ™‚ On the organic butter – lots of people who have fairly significant dairy allergies can still tolerate cow’s milk butter. I don’t use a ton of it. I use extra virgin olive oil and EV coconut oil more than any other fats, *but* sometimes that little pat of butter matters šŸ˜‰ This buckwheat cereal is one of the foods I choose to splurge and add butter to. I called it “grits” before because I eat it savory and it reminds me a little of regular grits (which I ***love*** with butter and cheese, but oh well!). The buckwheat grits are also good just spiced up with garlic and cayenne.

I checked again on the corn. It’s not mentioned in the lists themselves, but I did notice later that it *is* mentioned in the column beside the “foods to eat” and it includes corn along w/ other starchy vegetables that are to be avoided in Stage 1. I’m staying away from all corn ingredients, even the hidden ones like maltodextrin and preservatives for now. Although, now that I’m typing this, my alcohol-free vanilla is in a vegetable glycerin base, and I’ll bet that has corn in it. Man. Corn allergies have got to be one of the worst to work around!

Anyway, hope you like the buckwheat stuff! šŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Fast and easy flavor boost’ is closed to new replies.