failed kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions failed kefir

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Emsmith 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Emsmith
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 137

I got some water kefir grains locally and here’s what I used…
    6 cups tap water that sat out over night,
    6 tbsp organic sugar
    3 tbsp kefir grains
    1/8 tsp baking soda

Used only plastic/glass, let sit for 2 1/2 days due to cold weather. Strained grains, added little ginger and lime slice. Opened this morning after 18hrs and no fizz and does not taste great. What am I missing? The grains look cloudy where I thought they were clear previously.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You need to let them sit at a temperature over 70 degrees F, this is atleast how the milk kefir works…my goat’s milk kefir failed last year due to temperature, it is critically important.

-raster

Emsmith
    Participant

hmm, house is set @ 70, used the oven once or twice, and let it sit 2 1/2 days, i’ve got another batch going i’ll try 3 days

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

I think you have too much sugar to grains, and I don’t know what’s up with the baking soda?

My water kefir is going insane and I have so much I don’t know what to do with it! I think this recipe is golden. Oh, also if you are just rehydrating dried grains, toss the first batch (or two) out until they are happy in their new home.

Here’s what I do (copied from the info sheet i give out to people that buy kefir grains off me):

So you want to make your own water kefir…

Awesome! You rock! Here is what I have found to be the best “recipe” for plain water kefir. The grains are happy, healthy, and plentiful when this is followed:

1. Get a jar or other suitable container for your kefir (it needs to have a lid that can close) and fill it about 70% of the way with spring or filtered water.

2. Add about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of organic dark brown sugar and 1 tbsp of organic molasses. (Yes, you need both for optimal results! They feed on the sugar, but molasses is like a vitamin boost for them.)

3. Mix the sugar and molasses into the water so it’s all dissolved. The water will be a murky brown color.

4. Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of kefir grains. Find someplace warm to put the jar and don’t screw the lid on quite all the way.

5. After two days, it should definitely have a fermented (slightly alcoholic) smell. At this point, it sort of tastes like an alcoholic sarsaparilla. You can drink it like this, or if you want to flavor it further or eliminate more sugar, you can do a secondary ferment.

6. Either way, strain out the grains and repeat from step 1 with them.

7. To do a secondary ferment, you can add in flavors, such as a piece of fruit, extra sugar, or herbs (there are many different recipes that can be found online). If you want to reduce the sugar and not add extra flavorings, just leave it be. Tighten the lid and let it sit for an additional 24-48 hours.

8. At any point, if you don’t want it to ferment further, put your water kefir in the refrigerator. Grains can also be stored in the fridge if you need to take a break for up to several weeks – just be sure to store them in a sugar water solution!

9. Enjoy your water kefir! It should be slightly bubbly, slightly sweet, and slightly alcoholic tasting when it’s done (although it only contains a very, very small percentage of alcohol and will not get you drunk, no worries!)

anidstylie
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 12

First mistake tap water. You probally killed them with the chlorine. Use distilled water. Also they need the temp as mentioned. ALso use organic raw sugar. NEVER BROWN in case you do know they cannot break it down. Also why on earth are you using baking soda? Second get milk water has nothing compaired to milk.

anidstylie
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 12

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

anidstylie;35039 wrote: First mistake tap water. You probally killed them with the chlorine. Use distilled water. Also they need the temp as mentioned. ALso use organic raw sugar. NEVER BROWN in case you do know they cannot break it down. Also why on earth are you using baking soda? Second get milk water has nothing compaired to milk.

Mine are doing amazing on organic brown sugar.

Jersey
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 13

I just made my first batch of Kefir. My house is usually in the 60’s. So I rested the sealed pitcher of milk on a heated blanket, with a thermometer. It stayed right in the mid to high 70’s the whole time. Left it for 24 hours. It definitely thickened- actually a bit thicker than I would have liked. No big deal. But it’s not very sour, like the Kefir I buy from the store. Any thoughts on this? Is it still good ?

1533jd
    Topics: 46
    Replies: 112

Im a bit confused about temperature for Kefir. Do you want to store it at 70+ farenheit? I’ve now put it from the kitchen into the storage cupboard with the boiler in. So I guess you can gather it will be fairly warm in there…is that ideal?

Thanks
    JD

Emsmith
    Participant

anidstylie;35039 wrote: First mistake tap water. You probally killed them with the chlorine. Use distilled water. Also they need the temp as mentioned. ALso use organic raw sugar. NEVER BROWN in case you do know they cannot break it down. Also why on earth are you using baking soda? Second get milk water has nothing compaired to milk.

The tap water sat out overnight, chlorine evaporates. The baking soda was in a video to use if you don’t have mineral water.

Now that it’s been refrigerated seems to taste a bit better, just flat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘failed kefir’ is closed to new replies.