Extremely Bad die off, possibly my own fault?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Extremely Bad die off, possibly my own fault?

This topic contains 49 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author

Smitty99
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 227

So I have been experiencing candida symptoms since end of March. It wasn’t until I started getting bad headaches after eating meals that I realized I needed to do something. I believe strongly my candida overgrowth stemmed from black mold I found in my bedroom that was on the bottom of my brand new memory foam mattress. Like an idiot I had the mattress on a basement floor while waiting to afford a proper bed frame. When I finally did put it on the bed frame it was soaked. I dried it out but after waking up at the end of march with a really bad sore throat, I realized something was wrong. 2 weeks later I found the mold and by that time the Candida was really hitting me hard with bad headaches as well. My sore throat is still with me which I can only assume is related to the exposure to the black mold.

I have been coming to this forum for weeks reading and reading as much info as I could but I just recently stumbled upon the protocol today and realized I may have done something a little stupid.

So I started the Candida diet last week and have been very strict on myself and what I am eating until actually today when I ate some smoked salmon not realizing it wasn’t on the candida diet. oops. Anyways I had been taking antifungals all the while and even before and not noticing any die off at all. I was feeling pretty crappy but it’s been the crappiness from the candida and not the die off. Well that all changed last night. I took an antifungal after following the diet for 6 or 7 days and all hell broke loose. First it started with lower back pain and then leg pains in my muscles. My head went completely bizerk too, dizziness as well as intense nausea. I could feel my pains inside my stomach and immediately started drinking as much water as I could cause I realized this was immense die off. Also doubled up on milk thistle as well last night to hopefully help my liver. It was ungodly hell.

All today I have been thinking about what the hell happened and then it dawned on me and the information I was reading.

I assume the reason you don’t advise to take antifungals right away is #1 they won’t do very much because the yeast is still at its strongest and they need to be weakened before antifungals can do their job and #2 You advise waiting 2 weeks of the candida diet for some of the die off to naturally occur on its own thus not over stressing your body and alleviating some of the harsh die off.

Am I correct in thinking this and should I stop my antifungals for another 7-10 days to allow the yeast to die on its own while on the diet? I’m just scared to go through another night like that as I know it had to of been just as nightmarish for my organs.

Thanks

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

There are people with a lot more experience who will be along to answer you, however from my point of view you ought to listen to your body. You’re not doing yourself any favours beating yourself into a hole. That is not the route to good health. I did that for a long while and I am still not recovered from it as my organs took such a serious beating. Do yourself a favour and back off the antifungals for the time being.

Also, people will want to know what foods you are eating. Can you give us a better idea of your typical day?

Smitty99

Cheesey;43348 wrote: There are people with a lot more experience who will be along to answer you, however from my point of view you ought to listen to your body. You’re not doing yourself any favours beating yourself into a hole. That is not the route to good health. I did that for a long while and I am still not recovered from it as my organs took such a serious beating. Do yourself a favour and back off the antifungals for the time being.

Also, people will want to know what foods you are eating. Can you give us a better idea of your typical day?

thanks for your reply!

My normal day consists of a pretty simple menu since I’m worried about eating any sugar or carbs.

I am really only eating two meals. In the morning to mid afternoon I am eating 2 eggs cooked with olive oil and seasoned with sea salt and pepper with a few sticks of celery.

For dinner I have a simple salad with lettuce cucumbers and mini tomatoes and for seasoning I use either olive oil with acv or a dressing with 0 sugar and 0 carbs and a piece of chicken.

For vitamins I have been taking a multivitamin, fish oil supplement, chlorophyll in liquid form with d3.

For antifungals I have been taking olive leaf extract pills and occasionally niacin which was actually what I tried last night. It was like a nuclear bomb was set off. Extreme muscle aches and nausea. I have however ordered now foods candida cleanse and molybodeum (spell?) that able recommended to help your organs during die off. still waiting to get those though. I had been taking the niacin for a couple weeks prior to the candida cleanse but honestly felt little to no die off symptoms until a week into the candida diet. I realize the reasoning for that now. The yeast was too strong in the beginning to be susceptible to the supplement but now that it is getting weaker, it is.

My initial symptoms of bad headaches at night before i went to bed after eating dinner have gone after eliminating the sugar but were almost immediately replaced by incredible sinus pressure and a brain fog/ dull ache in my head.

My other concern other than the antifungals is constipation lately. I wanted to incorporate more bran/fiber but am finding it difficult as cereals is almost out of the question as they all contain sugar and carbs. I’ve been relying pretty heavily on cascara sagrada pills lately which is probably not the most healthy thing even if it’s natural.

Today has been better. My intense muscle aches in my legs and back are a lot better and my nausea isn’t nearly as bad. I have a little heartburn but I think it’s from my bad decision of eating smoked salmon today. My digestive system couldn’t be more delicate right now.

Last night felt like I was drunk with incredible pain, nausea and pains in my stomach. I realize I did something very wrong and hope to get information to explain further why that happened and how I could stop it from happening again. I’m ok with experiencing die off as I know that is part of my sentence.. lol but that was just way too much stress for my body and organs.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I assume the reason you don’t advise to take antifungals right away is #1 they won’t do very much because the yeast is still at its strongest and they need to be weakened before antifungals can do their job and #2 You advise waiting 2 weeks of the candida diet for some of the die off to naturally occur on its own thus not over stressing your body and alleviating some of the harsh die off.

You’re exactly right; and you’re a perfect example of what can happen when you start something too early on the protocol.

Read this post on curbing the effect of the die-off toxins. Die-off Toxin Effect.

You can of course add Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate to your regimen right away if it’s available for you to purchase. If you can obtain the Molybdenum, you should take it for another week while you’re on the strict diet.

The die-off toxins are causing your constipation, and you need to do everything you can to stop the constipation because the toxins need to be out of your body, and this is not allowing that to occur naturally. Please read this post:
    Constipation Remedies

According to your diet, you may find that the ‘stricter’ diet is of more benefit. There is a diet which most members are using but it isn’t on the forum. If you’d like to have this diet, just let me know and I’ll send the link in a private message to your inbox.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Sounds like you are experiencing die off symptoms. You need to detox from the toxins. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. We can recommend a variety of fiber sources.

-raster

Smitty99

Able900;43360 wrote:

You’re exactly right; and you’re a perfect example of what can happen when you start something too early on the protocol.

Read this post on curbing the effect of the die-off toxins. Die-off Toxin Effect.

You can of course add Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate to your regimen right away if it’s available for you to purchase. If you can obtain the Molybdenum, you should take it for another week while you’re on the strict diet.

The die-off toxins are causing your constipation, and you need to do everything you can to stop the constipation because the toxins need to be out of your body, and this is not allowing that to occur naturally. Please read this post:
    Constipation Remedies

According to your diet, you may find that the ‘stricter’ diet is of more benefit. There is a diet which most members are using but it isn’t on the forum. If you’d like to have this diet, just let me know and I’ll send the link in a private message to your inbox.

Able

Thank you for your reply Able!

I am going to try staying away from antifuungals for the next week and a half and work on making sure I relieve my constipation issues and than bring the antifungals in. Hopefully that will alleviate some of my die off and I will have the molybdenum by then.

Thanks again.

Smitty99

raster;43367 wrote: Sounds like you are experiencing die off symptoms. You need to detox from the toxins. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help. We can recommend a variety of fiber sources.

-raster

Which fiber sources do you recommend? I am going to try a couple things on Able’s constipation write up like the full glass of water in the morning and olive oil after eating something but everything else seems like it may be difficult to obtain.

Thanks!

P.S since this die off started, I noticed my throat has gotten worse and very sore and tight and I am sneezing like crazy. Is that normal die off?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Sore throat is somewhat normal from my experience and may be tied to your pancreas. There is a good tea out there called throat coat tea and this really helps the throat from my experience more than anything else. It also helps reduce inflammation and heal the gut.

Why do you want to eat olive oil?

For fiber, I would look at buckwheat, oat bran, and teff. You can make breads out of these flours (oat bran and buckwheat can be cooked as a flour or a oatmeal like dish by themselves). Buckwheat comes in 3 forms I know about, the flour, the raw groats (sorta like rice), and cream of buckwheat (sorta like oatmeal).

Sneezing may be and indication of allergies.

-raster

Smitty99

raster;43382 wrote: Sore throat is somewhat normal from my experience and may be tied to your pancreas. There is a good tea out there called throat coat tea and this really helps the throat from my experience more than anything else. It also helps reduce inflammation and heal the gut.

Why do you want to eat olive oil?

For fiber, I would look at buckwheat, oat bran, and teff. You can make breads out of these flours (oat bran and buckwheat can be cooked as a flour or a oatmeal like dish by themselves). Buckwheat comes in 3 forms I know about, the flour, the raw groats (sorta like rice), and cream of buckwheat (sorta like oatmeal).

Sneezing may be and indication of allergies.

-raster

Thanks for the information, I will try that.

The olive oil came from able’s constipation post
    “Olive Oil: Take two teaspoons after each meal and snack followed by a cup of very warm water”

I’m wondering, if I do have a candida infection in my throat and that is what’s causing the soreness. Will the natural way be enough to get rid of it? I’d really like to avoid drugs if all possible.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hi, Smitty.

Check your inbox for the diet information.

Smitty99

Able900;43385 wrote: Hi, Smitty.

Check your inbox for the diet information.

Thank you so much Able for the diet information. I’m going to follow it starting tomorrow.

Since this past week I haven’t been following it perfectly. I am going to restart my cleanse tomorrow according to the protocol as day 1 because I have been consuming chicken and fish.

I will stick with just the vegetables on the list and organic eggs.

Realistically, how many months into the diet should I be feeling well enough roughly to start exercising again in your experience? Right now the things that are stopping me is shortness of breath, dizziness and sore throat which could be a thrush problem.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Realistically, how many months into the diet should I be feeling well enough roughly to start exercising again in your experience? Right now the things that are stopping me is shortness of breath, dizziness and sore throat which could be a thrush problem.

If you still have mold near you, the sore throat sounds pretty likely to be connected to that. As for working out, I would recommend you don’t prioritize it for now. Your body needs that energy for healing. Taking short or slow walks is nice and can help with constipation, but it was a good two and a half or three months for me before I felt like doing much activity beyond normal daily requirements (for work, housework, etc). Depending on how your body responds to treatment, that timeline could vary pretty dramatically.

Smitty99

shayfo;43395 wrote:

If you still have mold near you, the sore throat sounds pretty likely to be connected to that. As for working out, I would recommend you don’t prioritize it for now. Your body needs that energy for healing. Taking short or slow walks is nice and can help with constipation, but it was a good two and a half or three months for me before I felt like doing much activity beyond normal daily requirements (for work, housework, etc). Depending on how your body responds to treatment, that timeline could vary pretty dramatically.

Thank you for your reply.

I did get rid of the mold I would say about 3 weeks ago. It was in my mattress. I immediately went and bought a new mattress and box spring the next day and sprayed organic mold killer everywhere and let my room air out for a couple days with windows open.

It just kills me to feel this way and it’s so frustrating that it happened out of the blue. One day I felt fine and was working out and the next day I had a sore throat and thrush and symptoms gradually got worse and worse. I guess I had symptoms before that which I didn’t attribute to the infection. I was having a hard time breathing during my workouts for quite some time but just figured I needed to get into better shape. Now I’m wondering if it was the candida compromising that. I’ve also had extremely cold feet and hands for almost a year but figured it was just bad circulation.

The thing that scares me the most is there seems to be more people battling the disease than people who have fully gotten over it. But maybe that’s because when people get over it, they move on with their lives and coming back and discussing it online just brings back painful memories. That makes me very thankful that Able and others are dedicating their time to helping us. Also its much appreciative to the people who are at different stages sharing their experience.

I still feel like I’m at the bottom of the mountain with no end in sight. I need to convince myself that things are getting better. I do feel like crap throughout the entire day but at least I am not getting severe headaches after eating anymore. Probably because I’ve cut out 99 percent of sugar in my diet but still. Good indication that I’m on the right track at least.

The other thing that really confuses me is doctors always tell me that yeast infections only happen in people with compromised immune systems. But I never ever get sick. I can’t even remember the last time I had a cold let alone the flu. It just frustrates me even more and makes me feel like why me.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

The thing that scares me the most is there seems to be more people battling the disease than people who have fully gotten over it. But maybe that’s because when people get over it, they move on with their lives and coming back and discussing it online just brings back painful memories. That makes me very thankful that Able and others are dedicating their time to helping us. Also its much appreciative to the people who are at different stages sharing their experience.

I still feel like I’m at the bottom of the mountain with no end in sight. I need to convince myself that things are getting better. I do feel like crap throughout the entire day but at least I am not getting severe headaches after eating anymore. Probably because I’ve cut out 99 percent of sugar in my diet but still. Good indication that I’m on the right track at least.

Most people who stick around the forum do so because they’re still struggling. I personally am symptom-free at slightly over five months on Able’s strict diet and (most of) his protocol, and I am now sloooooowly reintroducing foods. I actually ditched the forum for the better part of the last two months, because it’s easy for me to get sucked into endless hours on the Internet, but I’ve been coming back to write periodic updates of my progress and to skim what people are discussing. I suppose it would be more encouraging if people who are doing well posted more often. It’s easy to only discuss the unpleasant, you know?

The first month or two of the treatment is the most discouraging, in my opinion. Die-off sucks, and being tired sucks, and not seeing immediate results sucks. And changing your diet and lifestyle is hard! But if I can convince you of ANYTHING, I would choose this: don’t cheat! I think a lot of folks on the forum downplay the role of eating “cheat” foods in their struggles. This isn’t a weight-loss diet — you can’t eat “just one” bad meal a week and have the same progress. The candida doesn’t take a day off from trying to feed itself. I’ve been really steadfast in following the strict diet, and I think my results speak for themselves. I was a mess when I started the diet in December, and now I feel better than I have in my entire life. Everyone is different, of course, but I don’t believe I’m a fluke. Forum user alexalgebra started the diet on the same date as me, and has also been following things to the letter, and he’s had incredible progress, as well. (If anyone is interested, I will also point out that neither of us eats any meat at all.)

Good luck, Smitty! Don’t cheat, practice acceptance for where you are at any given moment, and cultivate patience for your body’s processes.

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

What shayfo said!

Also, I have had a sore throat on and off during my entire treatment. If I take 3000mg of vit c a day, I don’t have it. I think it’s just an immune response because your body is doing so much fighting, healing, and repairing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Extremely Bad die off, possibly my own fault?’ is closed to new replies.