Endless Candida

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Endless Candida

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Rabelais 4 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Gizmo
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 8

I’ve had what I assume is Candida for I’m guessing about 2 years. I didn’t really have any symptoms other than a general feeling of “crapness” and some brain fog / dizzyness until about a year ago. The first symptom of something being really odd was severe hangovers from small amounts of alcohol — like a 2-3 day hangover from 3 pints. Which for me is just not right.

This was put down to gastritis by the doctor, numerous blood tests showed nothing unusual, and I was given PPI stomach acid blockers. I took these PPI’s for a few months on and off, but they seemed to make no difference at all, I felt no improvement in my stomach. Eventually I ended up with quite bad acid reflux which stopped me being able to sleep as I’d wake up with a burning sensation and bad nausea which I had to sit upright to get rid of. A lot of Googling later lead me acid supplements rather than blockers, as I’d read that both low and high stomach acidity can cause acid reflux. I started taking apple cider vinegar with food, and magically (literally over night) the reflux was gone.

I moved on to HCL supplements rather than the vinegar and was generally improving for quite some time up until I was feeling pretty normal. Previously I was having difficulty even telling if I was hungry as my stomach just never felt right. Annoyingly at this point I ended up having an endoscopy which had been booked some time before, which, as you’d expect, showed nothing.

At this point I had a wisdom tooth infection and had some antibiotics to clear it, and about a week after finishing the antibiotics everything seemed to come back again and generally from this point got worse and worse. It got to the point I couldn’t really eat as food just sat in my stomach literally all day, I had no apatite and lost about a stone in weight. I found taking acid supplements at this point seemed to do pretty much nothing — I could take them until the bottom of my esophagus would actually hurt due to the acid levels when I swallowed and as it opened, but I could feel nothing in my stomach at all.

By random luck really I ended up being in this situation of very high stomach acid and driving somewhere with no water on me, so it ended up I held this very strong acid in my stomach for about 30 minutes or more and I found eventually I could feel some warmth in my stomach. So I tried this again a few times and eventually I assume it burned the candida from my stomach lining and returned my stomach to producing acid again. This gave me a very sore stomach, but also a fair fever for a couple of days as everything in my stomach was killed off. After that I felt better in many ways, but still quite unwell.

At this point I found out about resistant starch and started experimenting with that. This seemed to be the final thing that I needed to sort myself out and I was pretty much cured for a couple of months. No burping (which I seemed to get about every 10 minutes), no brain fog, good appetite, but a sore stomach.

I changed doctors (I had been many times during this whole time, being completely ignored every time) and had a chat with the new one. I decided to try some renitidine to sort the soreness in my stomach. This was a bad move I think in retrospect.

A few weeks ago its all come back again, so I’m now at the stage of trying to increase stomach acidity and kill off the crap in my stomach again, although as ever things are behaving differently. No matter what acid supplements I take, I basically feel no warmth in my stomach and no burning at the bottom of my esophagus, which leads me to believe this stuff is neutralising the acid as quickly as I can add it.

I’ve no idea if anyone else has had any experience like this, but it really is killing me, mentally and physically.

caterina81
    Topics: 3

Hiya,

How is your sea salt intake? I’ve been added salt to every meal to help increase my stomach acid. In the programme I am following you are meant to have a teaspoon of cracked sea salt a day. I try to find the best brand that doesn’t add anything or take anything away.

Also hows is you fat intake? Ive had to also up mine majorly (good fats virgin coconut oil and organic butter).

Best wishes
    Cat

Gizmo

I certainly think in the case of fungal overgrowth in the stomach, which I’m pretty sure is what I have (I cant explain all the symptoms in any other way!), the more stomach acid you can create the better. I have tried things like Swedish bitters and bitter melon supplements as both of these promote digestion. Although I think the point I took these my stomach was pretty much unable to produce acid I think. I don’t know if my stomach is so covered in this fungus that it stops acid production entirely, or if just there is enough there that the process of it metabolising is neutralising all the stomach acid. But for me acid supplements were the only way to get some more acid into my system.

I’ve tried coconut oil, but one thing to be wary of with oils is that they require quite a lot of acid to digest, so it does knock your acid levels. If you’re already swamped with candida this may not be helpful (lots of fat seems to make things worse for me).

I’m trying xylitol and have some anti-fungal stuff (Fluconazole) from the doctor, so I’ll see how that goes. This has been going on so long I’ll be amazed if it helps, but hopeful none-the-less.

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Replies: 268

I’m confused…

You are basically stating that it’s good to increase acidity when fighting candida.

Yet, today, Janek testified that he destroyed his candida by decreasing acidity…

It’s really confusing…

Rabelais

Gizmo

Candida thrives in an alkaline environment, so I really don’t understand this. It will depend on where the candida is of course. In my case my main issue seems to be candida in my stomach, which I think is a bit unusual, normally it’s the small intestine as this has a naturally low acidity (around ph 6 I think). Normally the acidity of the stomach acid kills candida, but in my case I think I must have low stomach acid, either through lifestyle, stress (which can both increase stomach acid levels so I read) or just some heredatory condition.

However one thing I remember reading basically said if the stomach acidity drops, the acidity of the small intestine is increased to compensate. So this may be the logic behind reducing stomach acid — however candida can multiply down to about ph 2, which is pretty acidic. However after being on PPI’s which stop stomach acid production completely, I believe this helped candida get a hold in my stomach and certainly didn’t seem to help me. I guess every case and indeed person is different in what works for them.

At the moment I’ve been re-reading about probiotics as resistant starch has been the most helpful thing I’ve found so far, however it does feed candida as well, so you have to be careful to get it right. I realised I was taking way to low a dose of probiotics before (10cfu per day) where I read it should be more like 200cfu. Just tonight I’ve tried taking about 150cfu and the results have been very good so far, so this is my latest favourite. If I can get things under control a bit more I will try re-adding resistant starch to my diet again to really outnumber the candida with bacteria.

Considering how many people there are out there suffering with this, it amazes me doctors still say they don’t believe it exists unless you are immune suppressed. The lack of support from modern medicine is just astounding and massively depressing.

Gizmo

I’ve had some more thoughts in baking soda…

NaHCO3 + HCL = NaCL + H2O + CO2

Is the reaction you get when you adding baking soda to hydrochloric acid. The interesting part of the output there is NaCL, or salt. Sodium chloride is an anti fungal, so I’m wondring if this created in the stomach was beneficial? Also, the other poster mentions drinking cider apple vinegar, this is quite acidic and something I use myself to acidify my stomach.

So there are a few things going on there, making the stomach less acidic may not be the key. In fact stomach acid levels will return quite quickly assuming your body is working well.

I must admit the amount of conflicting information out there really does make it difficult to know what on earth to try, but I think the key is to just experiment and figure out what works for you…

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Fungal candida thrives in a more alkaline environment.
    Candida in its yeast form is more suited for an acidic environment. When candida gets out of control(over-populated without good bacteria to keep it in check) it morphs back and forth and adapts to the PH conditions. The optimal conditions for your good bacteria(mostly in your colon) is slightly acidic..hence the term “acid”dophilus. Its not a good idea to be too acidic or too alkaline. Over alkalizing can cause ingestion/constipation or can buffer to much of the beneficial digestive acids. Being over acidic can lead to inflammation. It depends on the acid chemical/metabolite as some can cause more inflammation than others.

Gizmo

Very interesting, thanks! I’ll have to do some more reading on the different states of candida. I was certainly aware of the different states, but not what conditions they thrive in.

Also, the higher dose probiotics seem to have helped massively. I’ve just had the best nights sleep possibly ever.

Gizmo

Actually thinking about it, as candida metabolises it turns its environment more alkaline and then converts to its hyphal fungal state. So all you’re doing by decreasing acid is making it easier for the yeast to convert to its fungal state, which is the evil stuff you want to get rid of. So I’m still baffled by the reducing acidity idea.

Rabelais
    Blocked

I was just as baffled by the fact that two contradicting views appeared on this forum almost simultaneously. One view advised to increase acidity, while the other view advised to decrease acidity. The proponents of each of these views backed their advice by personal experience.

I found this contradiction worth pointing out.

I have no opinion of myself. That’s because I know that a healthy body regulates its own acidity. Therefore, it is not possible to change the acidity of the blood, the organs, or any other tissues.

It’s even not possible to speak of “the acidity” of a tissue. That’s because inter-cellular fluids and intra-cellular fluids all have their own specific acidity level. Acidity level even varies from one cell type to another.

Rabelais

Gizmo

We are talking about the acidity of the contents of an organ here, however. This is very easily changed. The presence of multiplying yeast will rapidly decrease acidity, the addition of acid will increase it.

The whole issue here however is people with a Candida overgrowth are by definition, not healthy, and regulating stomach acid etc becomes an issue due to an outside force.

One thing I can say so far is that strong probiotics seem good. Not sure if they’re decreasing my symptoms yet, but its certainly giving some good die off dizzyness etc. Could be useful to use these to weaken the fungus and then attack it with more acid. We’ll see in the coming days…. more acid on order.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

What most people should be doing is increasing acidity of digestive tract while increasing alkalinity in their body just to clarify…

If acidic body pH cured candida, then almost all of us would be cured of it before we even started the diet. No one really tests their pH but it should ideally be close to neutral.

-raster

Rabelais
    Blocked

Gizmo;60543 wrote: We are talking about the acidity of the contents of an organ here, however. This is very easily changed. The presence of multiplying yeast will rapidly decrease acidity, the addition of acid will increase it.

What do you mean when you speak about “the contents of an organ”? The acidity of “the contents of” the liver is very, very constant. The acidity of “the contents of” the heart is very, very constant too. So is the acidity of “the contents of” the brain.

I’m putting “the contents of” between quotation marks here. This is because the acidity of various liver cells (to give just one example) will be different, depending on the kind of liver cell. The fluid between the liver cells will have its own acidity as well.

Therefore, there simply is no such thing as “the acidity” of the liver. The liver has many acidities. All of those acidities are regulated to remain in very, very narrow ranges.

raster;60544 wrote: What most people should be doing is increasing acidity of digestive tract while increasing alkalinity in their body just to clarify…

Again, there’s no such thing as “the acidity” (or: “the alkalinity”) of the body. Each type of cell has its own specific acidity level.

The acidity of the digestive tract can vary, but only by a bit. Any small changes in digestive-tract acidity are compensated as soon as nutrients enter the bloodstream.

Rabelais

Gizmo

I thought I’d report I’ve been having good results using tumeric. I’ve read a lot of people have found it very good as well.

I’ve been using :

1 tsp tumeric
    1/4 tsp cinamon
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    1/4 tsp cayene pepper
    1g vitamin c tablet powdered

All mixed in a glass and dissolved in water.

I’ve read black pepper and vitamin c both increase the “bio availability” of the active compound in tumeric which is an antifungal. I’ve also read lots of medical investigations into the use of the active agent in tumeric as an antifungal as there are fungal strains resistant to nystatin and fluconazole. So there does indeed seem to be scientific rather than just anecdotal evidence to back this up.

I tried this mix every 2 hours on Sunday and got die off symptoms all day. It seems to kick in about 45 minutes after taking it. I reduced the dose a bit on Monday as I felt totally crap, but by the end of the day I started feeling much better. I then slept better as well, so I’ve upped the dose again and am getting less die-off and am generally feeling better.

So hopefully onto a winner here. Will report back again.

Oh, and I finish the day with 100 billion CFU probiotics and 3x “Probiotic 3” SBO probiotic. I had very good results with strong probiotics a couple of weeks back, but their effectiveness wore off quite quickly.

And of course keep on with acid supplements with meals too.

Gizmo

Rabelais;60547 wrote:
    What do you mean when you speak about “the contents of an organ”? The acidity of “the contents of” the liver is very, very constant.

My issue is candida in my stomach. You can very easily control the acidity of the stomach. Drink vinegar, for example, or take acid supplements to increase acidity, or if you wish to decrease acidity drink lots of water or take ant-acid medication either in the form of chalk (renne’s etc) or inhibitors like renitidine etc.

I agree past the stomach you cant do much. The pancreas releases an ant-acid substance as food goes into the small intestine to correct the PH for this part of the digestive tract.

The keys to get shot of a fungal infection are to make the environment as inhospitable as you can. So use antifungals and whatever other means you can to starve and kill the fungus.

I have some kefir seeds coming soon, so I’m hopeful that will also be good in upping my good bacteria levels.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Endless Candida’ is closed to new replies.