Eating enough?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Eating enough?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jollina 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

ATTCmelissa
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 15

I wanted to write and ask how other people on the diet figured out how much protein, carbs etc to have while on the diet. Is there a figure somewhere that would tell me what I need? I’m 5’8 137 lbs.
    I am eating 6 eggs daily and am wondering if I need more protein to keep from losing muscle mass. I’m a mother of 2 young kids so I go alot.
    I also read in one post that not eating enought can severely affect your mood, but someone told me that I was eating too much protein once. So I’m just looking for some clarification.
    I have been depressed lately which makes it hard for me to eat, or desire to eat, even though I know I need to feed my body to keep it working.
    Thanks for the feedback.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

If you’ve read anything I’ve said, it’s based on Paul Jaminet’s calculations of the body’s need for glucose. He estimates 600 total calories from carbohydrate and protein, with at least 200 calories coming from each, will meet glucose needs and preserve lean mass. You’d need to add roughly 100 calories per hour of moderate exercise. Total calories will depend on weight, metabolic rate, activity level etc. 

An example might be 5 eggs, 600ml of kefir, 100g of oat bran, 200g of Greek yoghurt, some onion and turnip for roughly 75g, or 300 calories, each of protein and digestible carbohydrate. Non-starchy vegetables aren’t reliable for carbs because they’re largely bacteria fodder. In this scenario, you’d need to get 1400 calories, or whatever allows you to get what you require, from fat, but you could up either of the other macros to a ratio that suits you.

The effect of diet on brain chemistry is incredibly complicated and individualised. I only recently learnt that amino acids can affect it, so getting all your protein from one source may not agree with you. Glycine, found in large amounts in gelatine, may help, and can be purchased in an easily dissolvable form, e.g. Great Lakes. 

Meeting the 200 calorie carb target will also keep you out of ketosis, which reduces your body’s need for cortisol (a stress hormone). It also makes life easier for your thyroid, which should lower anxiety and increase energy, appetite, libido etc. Keeping your thyroid in top shape is actually incredibly helpful in recovering. If you suspect any weaknesses, get it checked out.

ATTCmelissa

Javizy wrote: He estimates 600 total calories from carbohydrate and protein, with at least 200 calories coming from each, will meet glucose needs and preserve lean mass. You’d need to add roughly 100 calories per hour of moderate exercise. Total calories will depend on weight, metabolic rate, activity level etc. 

Does this mean 600 calories from protein and 600 calories from carbohydrate or 600 total for both or 300 each?

An example might be 5 eggs, 600ml of kefir, 100g of oat bran, 200g of Greek yoghurt, some onion and turnip for roughly 75g, or 300 calories, each of protein and digestible carbohydrate. Non-starchy vegetables aren’t reliable for carbs because they’re largely bacteria fodder. In this scenario, you’d need to get 1400 calories, or whatever allows you to get what you require, from fat, but you could up either of the other macros to a ratio that suits you.

So you are saying these things would give me that correct amounts for one day?
    What are the starchy vegetables that we can eat on this diet?

Glycine, found in large amounts in gelatine, may help, and can be purchased in an easily dissolvable form, e.g. Great Lakes. 

Is Gelatin safe on the diet?

Meeting the 200 calorie carb target will also keep you out of ketosis, which reduces your body’s need for cortisol (a stress hormone). It also makes life easier for your thyroid, which should lower anxiety and increase energy, appetite, libido etc. Keeping your thyroid in top shape is actually incredibly helpful in recovering. If you suspect any weaknesses, get it checked out.

Does this mean I need 200 total calories from carbs every day?

I am really confused on how to figure out what to get from what sources, since our options are so limited on this diet.

Javizy

600 total calories, with 200 the lower limit for both. So, 400 protein, 200 carbs; 300 protein, 300 carbs etc. 600 is just a lower bound and isn’t something you need to stick to religiously. 

There are digestible carbs in Greek yoghurt, turnip, rutabaga, parsnip, olives and the suggested brans/flours/grains. I may be forgetting something, but you should be able to work out 200 or more calories from these sources.

I think gelatine would be fine. It doesn’t contain the amino acids that can be harmful in large amounts (homocysteine and methionine) that are in eggs, dairy and muscle meats, and the glycine can be therapeutic. You can make bone broth if you don’t like the idea of powdered gelatine. It’s said to be good for digestion, and is rich in minerals. 

The diet takes a bit of getting used to, but it’s worth trying to work out how to properly nourish yourself early on. Many members don’t seem to get on well with ketosis, others suffer from obvious hypothyroid symptoms, and somebody mentioned being diagnosed with a protein deficiency today. Focusing on what you should be eating rather than what you have to avoid might be helpful.

ATTCmelissa

Is there a list somewhere that tells you what it in each food. I’d like to make sure that I’m getting my body what it needs from the food.
    Like how much carbohydrate is in a turnip for instance since there is no nutrition facts listed on it.
    And if you get 600 calories per day from carbohydrates and protein, where do the other calories come from?
    Do you count the calories it gives you total lets say and egg has 70 calories does all 70 of those calories count or only the 6g of protein listed on the nutrition facts.
    I think this is a great idea, it just seems so confusing and new. I’d like to learn more, please keep sharing!

Javizy

A lot of foods tell you on the pack and you can check a database here http://nutritiondata.self.com/ Setting the quantity to 100g allows you to see the percentage of fat, protein and carbs. If you don’t know already carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories per gram. 

Like I said, the rest of the calories come from fat. The candida diet is a high-fat, low-carb diet and in some incarnations ketogenic. Most of the foods you get carbs/protein from are high in fat (eggs have 100 fat cals each, Greek yoghurt is 10% fat), and with added coconut oil as an anti-fungal, you shouldn’t struggle for calories.

It sounds complicated, but after a while you get a feel for it. You could try counting calories for a week or so, and then you’ll probably find you don’t need to.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

When I eat meals, I try my best to eat enough to become “very full” almost like its thanksgiving or something (I guess a similar holiday for others outside US would be xmas). This typically involves eating 3-4 course meals. Since I am chewing my food so thoroughly, eating meals typically takes a very long time for me. This typically makes me feel “bloated” until my next BM. I don’t mind because I am so skinny.

So the way I look at it is you should eat until you feel like your gonna burst, lol.

-raster

ATTCmelissa

Ok I think it is starting the settle in, so what you are saying is if my egg has 6 g of protein, I would multiply 6 X 4 to come up with 24 calories that would be counted toward the amount of at least 200 as you recommended before.

My teff has 7g of protein I would take 7X4 and get 28 calories from protein and it has 37 carbohydrates so 37X4 would be 148 calories from from carbohydrates

So if I added them together I would now have 52 calories from protein and 148 calories from carbs.
    If I were doing 200 calories from protein I would need 148 more for that day and I would need 400 calories from carbs in this case and I would need 252 more to get a grand total of 600 calories!
    Is this it, do I get it?

Javizy

Yeah, that’s basically it. You could also think in grams if it’s easier. 600 calories = 150g. Minimum 50g (200 calories) each. Remember fat is more than double in terms of calories though. You might want to start at the lower end of the carb spectrum and see how you react, although Jaminet, who I mentioned earlier suggests 100g as a good target due to increased glucose usage by the immune response against candida.

ATTCmelissa

Javizy,
    Thanks for the info, I figured out I’m not eating near enough protein. That’s probably what’s affecting my mood.
    People had been commenting on how bony looking I was. Thanks for your help.

jollina
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

Inaccurate concept is that our system only utilizes protein in its complete state and we must eat all the amino acids at once to supply sufficient protein for our system to use metabolically.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Eating enough?’ is closed to new replies.