Double checking store cupboard…

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Double checking store cupboard…

This topic contains 18 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lucylu 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi all,

I’ve been on the stage 1 diet v strictly since the end of October and am 99% symptom free now. Apart from the lingering scarring of an non-candida rash, I have no evidence of the condition at this point (woohoo!).

I’ve been ignoring a whole section of my store cupboard for fear of ingesting hidden ingredients – and have stuck with the “better to be safe than sorry” mentality. While I’m happy to (and intend to) remain strictly on the diet for another while, I’m hoping to widen my choices & flavours a little (but remain within the stage 1 allowed foods).

So I just wanted to check a few things. Obviously anything I try will be in a small quantity and then i won’t try anything else for another 3 days….

Coconut milk (can) vs coconut cream (block) – both organic, are they the same and can I try some now?
    Tahini – I think I read on another thread that this was ok – mine is 100% unhulled organic sesame seeds
    Black & green olives (in brine)
    Garam Masala – cant see anything besides the obvious spices, no preservatives or fillers
    Medium Curry Powder – like above, just a mix of spices, nothing funny
    Thai lemon grass (freeze dried)
    Anchovy Fillets in Olive Oil

Also – I can’t find your thread on Xylitol – every other Candida site just positives but I’m sure you’re not a fan? Why? I just can’t get the other sweeteners you discuss over here and it’s nice to have something to sweeten some rhubarb or greek yoghurt. I don’t have a sweet tooth so I’d only use tiny amounts a few times a week.

Over to you! (You’ll be wishing I’d stayed away… have loads of new queries coming your way!!)

Thanks a mill…

Lx

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Lucylu wrote: Also – I can’t find your thread on Xylitol – every other Candida site just positives but I’m sure you’re not a fan? Why? I just can’t get the other sweeteners you discuss over here and it’s nice to have something to sweeten some rhubarb or greek yoghurt. I don’t have a sweet tooth so I’d only use tiny amounts a few times a week.

Lucy, the reason I’m not a fan of Xylitol is because it’s a sugar alcohol whereas Stevia is derived from the stevia plant. The only danger from Stevia would be the possibility of an unwanted additive placed into a Stevia product; but this can be taken care of easily by simply reading the list of ingredients.

I still can’t understand why Stevia isn’t allowed to be marketed in some countries as it’s safer than many other sweeteners (I’m not asking for an explanation by the way as I’ve read several of those). Stevia is also sold under the brand name of Truvia. Anyway, with this in mind I understand that you have no other choice as far as sweeteners, so all you can do is to test the Xylitol, just please be careful.

Foods you asked about:

Coconut milk (can) vs coconut cream (block) – both organic, are they the same and can I try some now?

Reply: This is definitely a food that can be tested, and unless you have a special problem with it, I would bet it’ll be a fine addition to your diet.

Tahini – I think I read on another thread that this was ok – mine is 100% unhulled organic sesame seeds.

Reply: Tahini is another great addition to the diet if you have no reactions.

Reply: Yes, as long as they’re not stored in distilled vinegar (some of this information is for the benefit of newer members as I’m certain you are already aware).

Garam Masala – cant see anything besides the obvious spices, no preservatives or fillers

Reply: Definitely worth a test.

Medium Curry Powder – like above, just a mix of spices, nothing funny.

Reply: Absolutely.

Reply: Lemongrass is actually an antifungal, so definitely yes.

Reply: If you can stand to put these things in your mouth, lady, you go right ahead (hey, don’t you judge my taste in … food? Is it really? lol).

Quote: “Over to you! (You’ll be wishing I’d stayed away… !!)”

Reply: No way, keep ’em coming.

Good luck on the ‘new diet (especially the anchovy).

Able

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I was gonna ask about anchovies. I’ve never actually tasted them though. I like sardine, salmon, tuna and cod but I can’t stand mackerel. What do you think Lucy? I’ve been meaning to test herring, bass and other fish too.

Lucylu

Thanks Able, A fount of knowledge as always (though I find your comments about anchovy downright offensive!!)

Javizy – Anchovy is an acquired taste and to be used in very small amounts. Very salty & very fishy. I’m not sure yet how I’m going to integrate them. I’ve used them in the past mashed into garlic butter and spread on roast lamb. And they’re delicious (whatever Able says!) on pizza with hard boiled egg & black olives. Obviously neither of these options are relevant to us at the moment… I’ll blow the dust off my cookbooks and get back to you with a couple of ideas.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Hmm, I’ll probably steer clear for now then. I saw an elaborate salad recipe on TV using anchovies. Maybe you could try something like that.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Lucylu wrote: Hi all,

I’ve been on the stage 1 diet v strictly since the end of October and am 99% symptom free now. Apart from the lingering scarring of an non-candida rash, I have no evidence of the condition at this point (woohoo!).

I’ve been ignoring a whole section of my store cupboard for fear of ingesting hidden ingredients – and have stuck with the “better to be safe than sorry” mentality. While I’m happy to (and intend to) remain strictly on the diet for another while, I’m hoping to widen my choices & flavours a little (but remain within the stage 1 allowed foods).

So I just wanted to check a few things. Obviously anything I try will be in a small quantity and then i won’t try anything else for another 3 days….

Tahini – I think I read on another thread that this was ok – mine is 100% unhulled organic sesame seeds
    Medium Curry Powder – like above, just a mix of spices, nothing funny

Also – I can’t find your thread on Xylitol – every other Candida site just positives but I’m sure you’re not a fan? Why? I just can’t get the other sweeteners you discuss over here and it’s nice to have something to sweeten some rhubarb or greek yoghurt. I don’t have a sweet tooth so I’d only use tiny amounts a few times a week.

Over to you! (You’ll be wishing I’d stayed away… have loads of new queries coming your way!!)

Thanks a mill…

Lx

Xylitol is a powerful bactericidal used to treat SIBO sometimes. It is logic you want to preserve and recover the intestinal ecology when treating candida. Taking something that can destroy the antagonistic flora or don’t allow it to recover isn’t a good business. The same can be said about Oragano Oil, GSE, Garlic, etc.
    You can use this natural antifungals starting a protocol but there will be a moment where you need to give chance to the flora re-growth. This is the time to switch to S. Boulardi, or any other specific antifungal such as Nystatin, etc.
    Jorge.

Lucylu

Jorge… sorry, but I don’t understand what you’re saying. Could you say it a simpler way please?

Thanks,

Lucy

Able900
    Spectator

Lucylu wrote: Jorge… sorry, but I don’t understand what you’re saying. Could you say it a simpler way please?

Lucy, maybe I can explain what Jorge is telling you.

Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, and alcohol is capable of diminishing the production and action of the beneficial intestinal flora and can even destroy the bacteria by destabilizing the bacterial walls. This is why people with Candida feel the reactions and symptoms increase after drinking alcohol. So Jorge is saying that the Xylitol may also be able to do these things, of course, depending on the product such as chewing gum containing Xylitol, this would be on a smaller scale than actually drinking a glass of alcohol.

Jorge has included that you can say the same about oregano oil, GSE, and garlic as far as having antibacterial properties. In other words, you can use these natural antifungals during the first part of the protocol, but once the infestation population has diminished to a large degree and is under control, and the symptoms also have lessened considerably, then it’s time to allow a complete re-growth period for the flora to reestablish itself in the intestines; this means stopping or lowering the amounts of antifungals.

He believes that, at that time switching to Saccharomyces boulardii as your probiotic source is a good idea, although I’m not sure why he chose that particular time since S. boulardii cannot colonize in the human intestines, even though it has the same ability to destroy Candida just as the natural human bacteria can.

More information about S. boulardii:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1825_Saccharomyces-boulardii-S-Boulardii.aspx

Hoped that helped.
    Able

Lucylu

OK, cool. Thanks Able. Do you agree with him in terms of reducing the antifungals? I’m just finishing off a tub of oil of oregano and garlic capsules… about half way through Caprylic acid. I was thinking of finishing with the 3 of them once the tubs are gone. I’ve been taking caprylic since week 2 (think am about week 10 now) with 2 x 1wk gaps during that time when I ran out and am up to 9 caps a day. I was thinking I’m probably ammune to it by now?

I have some SF722 arriving in a couple of days as well as Mega Flora. Whats the max dose I should work up to on both of those?

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Lucy.

1) Do you agree with him in terms of reducing the antifungals?

Reply: Yes I do, but very slowly, just the same as when you were adding the antifungals or new foods.

2) I’m just finishing off a tub of oil of oregano and garlic capsules… about half way through Caprylic acid. I was thinking of finishing with the 3 of them once the tubs are gone. I’ve been taking caprylic since week 2 (think am about week 10 now) with 2 x 1wk gaps during that time when I ran out and am up to 9 caps a day. I was thinking I’m probably ammune to it by now?

Reply: I would drop the amount of the oil of oregano quicker than the others until you’re taking no more, doesn’t matter if you don’t finish the container.
    You can just slack off on the Caprylic acid until you’ve finished the container.
    Do as you wish with the garlic, stop now or stop when the container has been used.
    If you’re using coconut oil still (which I hope you are), I would continue using this indefinitely as it is a healthy addition to anyone’s diet. Depending on the amount you’ve been taking, you may not need to use quite as much, but I would definitely leave it in my diet.

3) I have some SF722 arriving in a couple of days as well as Mega Flora. Whats the max dose I should work up to on both of those?

Reply: I never took the SF722 myself, but Raster got up to 6 capsules a day, don’t know if he’s still taking that amount or not, but he was taking 2 capsules with each meal.
    As far as the MegaFlora is concerned, just curious, what’s the billion count of the one you have? I was up to 160 billion a day by the time I stopped having all reactions to the infestation. Even though most people scoff at this “ridiculous” amount, after weeks of research, I believed I would have to go to that amount at least – or more to obtain the healing I wanted in my own timeline. Whatever you decide, keep in mind that I’m six feet tall and today I weighed in at 170, so if you’re not that size (pardon me, I meant to type SINCE you’re not that size), you may not wish to take that large a dose.

At least 2 or 3 times a week you should try to ingest a strong natural antifungal. This could be raw garlic, jalapeno peppers (I eat these everyday), red cabbage or red cabbage juice, rutabagas, and of course, coconut oil. Having at least 2 or 3 of the foods a week in addition to daily coconut oil would be good, more would be perfect.

Able

Lucylu

Thanks Able,

Caprylic – I found another tub in the cupboard so will continue on the 9 a day for another while

Coconut Oil – just bought 4 large tubs today, it was 50% off so I stocked up. Full intentions of continuing on this for life. I love it on my toast under eggs and also for roast veggies. Delicious. I’ll stop taking it raw on crackers though at this stage.

Oil of Oregano – will faze them out an not replace

Garlic – have finished to tub. I didn’t buy them specifically as preferd to take fresh (both raw & roasted) but I found it in the cupboard and thought I may as well take it.

SF722 – should arrive tomorrow. I think I ordered 2 tubs as well as some more cod liver oil, more Vit D & super strength vit C… so will be well stocked for a while.

Probiotic – I’m not sure how much I’m taking as it’s a powder but I’m taking a “rediculous” dose as well. Have worked up gradually. Should I start at the minimum dose with the next one and work up or start higher seeing as my bodies used to it now? I’m still having a full tub of Kefir as well.

Thanks,

L

Able900
    Spectator

Hey there, Lucy.

As far as the amount of probiotics to take; I hate to say this again, but it really does depend on the amount you’ve been taking. You don’t want to take less, but then again, you don’t want to increase the dose by a huge amount all at one time either. I guess there’s no information on the label about the number of CFU per dose or how many strains it contains?

Did you purchase the 50-billion count MegaFlora? If so, and if you still don’t know the amount you’ve been taking, to be safe I’d start with 50-billion once a day and in 4 or 5 days you can add another capsule – unless you’re bothered by the dose the first four days.

Good job with the kefir.

Able

Lucylu

Able – I finished the tub yesterday – the probiotic was 120 billion & 12 strains. It was powder and they said to take 1/4 tea spoon once a day. So I started on 1/2 as I’d been taking double doses of a weaker one… have built up to a full tea spoon twice a day. I ordered 3 tubs by accident and it didn’t come in ice so i reckoned the content was dropping so I’d take it all fast! I know, my usual “shoot from the hip” thinking! I bought Udo’s 8 to keep me going for a few days because I’m not sure one the new one will arrive – I hoped it would be here by now. I can’t remember what the potency of the Mega Flora is but it’s described as “1 x MegaFlora, Optimal Potency Probiotic Formula (90 Capsules) (MGF-10228)” on my invoice and I’ve asked them to pack in ice if possible. I’ll compare the strengths when I get it and take an educated guess on what to start on.

CT
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 63

Lucylu, I’m not sure if Ireland has the same supermarkets as England but if you are still having problems finding stevia it can be found in Sainsbury’s and Waitrose under the brand name tru via. There are also other supermarkets available if you look on the website http://truvia.co.uk/about/where_to_buy/. However, double check online if the supermarket does stock it because I looked in Tesco and they didn’t have it.

Lucylu

Thanks ct… we don’t have sainsburys or waitrose here but if you can find it there I might as a friend in the UK to buy it for me and post over. Brilliant thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Double checking store cupboard…’ is closed to new replies.