Don't understand difference between Folic Acid, Folate, Folacin.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Don't understand difference between Folic Acid, Folate, Folacin.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  SingerCoach 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

SingerCoach
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 14

I see a lot of posts not to use Folic Acid, but nobody says why. Can someone please explain the difference between these 3 forms, and why one is to be used and the other(s) avoided? Thanks.

Daily does of my multi-vitamin from Super Nutrition states: “Folate (=Folic Acid & Folacin) 1000 mcg “

http://www.iherb.com/Super-Nutrition-Before-During-and-After-Menopause-Multiple-with-Iron-60-Packets-4-Tablets-Each/3237#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=women's%20multi%20vitamin%20menopause&rc=404&sr=null&ic=6

I feel REALLY good when i take it.

Also, could someone also explain why we shouldn’t take Magnesium Oxide as opposed to other forms of Magnesium. I have some left over that I would like to use up.

Thanks!

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

SingerCoach;58489 wrote: I feel REALLY good when i take it.

Also, could someone also explain why we shouldn’t take Magnesium Oxide as opposed to other forms of Magnesium. I have some left over that I would like to use up.

If you benefit from folic acid you might have a methylation problem. If you feel better while using it, continue to do so.
    Some people found out that magnesium can potentially feed candida and are now paranoid about it. My opinion is that small amount that magnesium potentially feeds candida is kind of irrelevant.
    Edit: I wasn’t aware of the fact that you are talking about magnesium oxide specifically. It irritates the intestinal lining and has a laxative effect. So it shouldn’t be used in the long term. Just use up the bottle by taking it once and a while.

SingerCoach

Thanks, ChosenOne. Yes, I suspected that I have a methylation problem after this happened: I went off Zoloft (which I’ve been on for a decade) during a recent bout with stomach flu. As I got better, I started taking L-Methionine for Candida, and realized I wasn’t having any Zoloft withdrawal. I looked up L-Methionine and read about Methylation. Spoke to my doctor about it. However, I am unclear how you test for Methylation issues — I couldn’t pinpoint it in any of my readings. When I told my doctor about my experience, her response was to test my Hysteine levels, which I know is important if you take L-Methionine, but that isn’t a test for Methlyation issues.

Can you tell me what the big issue is with taking Folic acid vs. Folate or Folacin?

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

Folic Acid is the unconverted form of folate, your body needs to convert it to 5-methyltetrahydrofolate before it is used. A large % of the population has trouble converting folic acid into that. This is known as a MTHFR defect. If you haven’t had any genetic testing done i would personally skip the folic acid and just take the methylated form of folate. Then you have nothing to worry about. Make sure you’re taking Methyl-B12 with it or you will get some nasty headaches eventually.

Here’s an old but simple chart:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-CeWeJUvqSh0/TlmcBnSlJ-I/AAAAAAAAAKg/ddJAcUTeM28/s1600/Untitleddrawing-2.jpg

Most people have trouble in one of the steps.

SingerCoach

You guys are amazing with all the research you have done!

I have a box of my multi-vits with folic acid — it’s an extremely high quality product (without being pharmaceutical grade), and I’ve used it on and off for years. I will use up what I have and watch out for headaches.

Here are in the supplement facts, in case you’re interested:

Supplement Facts
    Serving Size: 2 Packets of 4 Tablets Each
    Servings Per Container: 30 (2 packets per serving)

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value

Vitamin A (Vitamin A Palmitate) 5000 IU 100%
    Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 1500 mg 2500%
    Vitamin D (Vitamin D3) 1000 IU 250%
    Vitamin E (Natural Vitamin E Succinate) 800 IU 2000%
    Vitamin K (Phytonadione) 80 mcg 100%
    Thiamin (Vitamin B1) 86 mg 5733%
    Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) 66 mg 3882%
    Niacin (Low-flush, fast release Vitamin B3) 80 mg 400%
    Niacinamide (Non-flushing Vitamin B3) 60 mg 300%
    Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) 200 mg 10000%
    Folate (=Folic Acid & Folacin) 1000 mcg 250%
    Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12) 1000 mcg 16667%
    Biotin (d-biotin) 600 mcg 200%
    Pantothenic Acid (From Calcium Pantothenate) 150 mg 1500%
    Calcium (Carbonate & Citrate) 1500 mg 150%
    Iron (Iron Carbonyl—Precoated*) 18 mg 100%
    Iodine (From Kelp) 225 mcg 150%
    Magnesium (Oxide & Glycinate) 600 mg 150%
    Zinc (Oxide & Citrate) 30 mg 200%
    Selenium (Selenite) 250 mcg 357%
    Copper (Glycinate) 2 mg 100%
    Manganese (Sulfate & Citrate) 10 mg 500%
    Chromium (Complexed**) 250 mcg 208%
    Molybdenum (Trioxide) 150 mcg 200%
    Potassium (Chloride & Succinate) 99 mg 3%
    *Iron pre-coated to prevent interaction with Vitamin E, Calcium, Zinc, and other nutrients.
    **From Chromium polynicotinate (Nichrome) and Chromium picolinate (Chromax II).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Don't understand difference between Folic Acid, Folate, Folacin.’ is closed to new replies.