Does oat bran contain gluten?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Does oat bran contain gluten?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  orka1998 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I purchased a different brand of oat bran and on the bag it says that it contains gluten. It looks same as the other one, perhaps a little finer grind than the previous. I did make it for breakfast and it tasted a little different, not so much like oatmeal. It says on the bag “instant” which I don’t get as it is same as the other one. Serving suggestions even says to eat it with yoghurt and fruit not mentioning cooking. It says it can be used to replace white flour.

I’m just confused.

Arijana

orka1998
    Participant

Bump!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Most oat brans will contain at least some gluten. The brand PrOatina is supposedly gluten-free. Amazon carries it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Oat-Bran-Pound/dp/B006WSP99G

orka1998
    Participant

Thanks Able!

Now, if I am not sensitive to gluten, what’s my risk eating this one? I am stretching the budget with this as it is and have responsibility to my kids so if I can eat this local one instead of paying for shipping, that would help a lot!

I kind of don’t want to give up on it since it really helps me get through my day. What’s your take on it?

Thanks again!

Arijana

Positivo
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 246

orka1998 wrote: Thanks Able!

Now, if I am not sensitive to gluten, what’s my risk eating this one? I am stretching the budget with this as it is and have responsibility to my kids so if I can eat this local one instead of paying for shipping, that would help a lot!

I kind of don’t want to give up on it since it really helps me get through my day. What’s your take on it?

Thanks again!

Arijana

I was wondering the same thing. I introduced oat bran this week and the label on mine doesn’t say gluten free. I hope this isn’t too big of a problem for us because I rely on it heavily as well. I’ve also read mixed things. One article says it does obtain gluten, while another says that people with celiac can eat it without a problem. I just don’t know.

orka1998
    Participant

Positivo wrote:
    I was wondering the same thing. I introduced oat bran this week and the label on mine doesn’t say gluten free. I hope this isn’t too big of a problem for us because I rely on it heavily as well. I’ve also read mixed things. One article says it does obtain gluten, while another says that people with celiac can eat it without a problem. I just don’t know.

Well one brand that I found doesn’t say anything, but this other one specifically says that it contains gluten. I don’t think I have celiac (test for gluten was negative) so I figured it’s low risk for me and I am eating it. Had no reactions so I guess it’s fine.

Arijana

Positivo
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 246

Orka,

I think ima pass from oatbran when I’m finished with what I have in stock. First mine properly isn’t gluten free which isnt best for candida but also I took an allergy test and I have a certain level of sensitivity to gluten. Not enough to be an intolerance or allergy according to my doctor. Secondly I’m afraid of eating too many carbs so that money can go to more veggies avocados or just cream of buckwheat. If you do find a gluten free oat bran that is affordable please share it with us. 🙂

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would like to mention that you don’t have to be completely strict with the diet. You can have bad foods with moderation, they won’t set you back most of the time very much at all.

However, I feel that its a best practice to eat certain foods in your recovery “when you are strong enough.” Everyone reaches these milestones at different times for different reasons, so I think its hard to say whether you can or cannot have it and if it’ll set you back very much.

I personally haven’t worried about gluten; I have been more worried about sugar, molds, starches, dairy, grains, acidic foods, etc. Molds are the biggest devil for me.

For instance eating 15 blueberries per day might give you more benefit than detriment. Blueberries have a lot of good properties and are relatively low in sugar. If Oat bran is similar to this, than I say go ahead with it. Its hard to find foods your body digests well and assimilates…

-raster

orka1998
    Participant

Positivo wrote: Orka,

I think ima pass from oatbran when I’m finished with what I have in stock. First mine properly isn’t gluten free which isnt best for candida but also I took an allergy test and I have a certain level of sensitivity to gluten. Not enough to be an intolerance or allergy according to my doctor. Secondly I’m afraid of eating too many carbs so that money can go to more veggies avocados or just cream of buckwheat. If you do find a gluten free oat bran that is affordable please share it with us. 🙂

Hi Positivo,

I am oversees in Bosnia so I doubt that I can help with more affordable oat bran that you can get 🙂 You have access to avocados and I don’t so oat bran is my only food that can offer more energy and prevent weight loss. I can’t tolerate coconut bread so I make it out of oat bran an buckwheat instead.

We all make do with what we can and have available. And in the end we all decie for ourselves. I tried things and made mistakes, but without trying I would never really know if it was a mistake or not, correct?

Best of luck to you!

Arijana

orka1998
    Participant

raster wrote: I would like to mention that you don’t have to be completely strict with the diet. You can have bad foods with moderation, they won’t set you back most of the time very much at all.

However, I feel that its a best practice to eat certain foods in your recovery “when you are strong enough.” Everyone reaches these milestones at different times for different reasons, so I think its hard to say whether you can or cannot have it and if it’ll set you back very much.

I personally haven’t worried about gluten; I have been more worried about sugar, molds, starches, dairy, grains, acidic foods, etc. Molds are the biggest devil for me.

For instance eating 15 blueberries per day might give you more benefit than detriment. Blueberries have a lot of good properties and are relatively low in sugar. If Oat bran is similar to this, than I say go ahead with it. Its hard to find foods your body digests well and assimilates…

-raster

I totally agree with you raster. I try to calculate it similarly as well. If I think I ate something that is not that strict (still sticking to the allowed list though) but I think it gives me more benefits than harm, I make up for it somewhere else. So if I eat a half of grapefruit which has a little more sugar than lemon, I reduce one or two doses of lemon, say give up yoghurt that day and have perhaps just a salad with eggs for another meal so that my sugar intake for the day is about the same. It’s an estimate for sure, but so is everything else. I try to be as strict as I can, but sometimes I just have to make do with what I have. So if it’s end of the month, usually I am low on cash so I must rely on quinoa, millet, buckwheat etc. to replace part of the vegetable meal as I cannot afford it. I occasionally have a small serving of the brown rice in such a period and split the veggies in two meals instead of one, but try not to have much else so it evens out in my opinion.

Arijana

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Does oat bran contain gluten?’ is closed to new replies.