Does anyone have recurrent V. Yeast Infection as their main symptom?

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Does anyone have recurrent V. Yeast Infection as their main symptom?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  shell 7 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

shell
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 19

Hi

I have been reading over posts trying to figure out how far I should go with the candida cleansing and antifungal drugs etc.
    As I stated in my subject bar I suffer from recurrent v. yeast infections. It has been going on for a few years and I have been doing a variety of things to get rid of it. I live in Canada and my doctors have never heard of the tests mentioned on the web page. I have seen a naturalpath who put me on a candida diet but it was not very strict and really did nothing after a year on it. Then I went to see yet another medical doctor who told me that I needed diflucan. So I took it just a few times then started using bio identical progesterone cream. It worked! After a few months I relaxed on my diet, began eating sugar and drinking the odd beer/wine etc. Well needless to say, it came back. After Christmas it was far worse than ever. So I started seeing a “holistic” pharmacist who is convinced I have leaky gut and that I need to do a cleanse and then start a month of nystatin followed by a month of probiotics both internally and orally. I am willing to try this but does anyone know the likelihood of nystatin working and the yeast not becoming resistant?
    Thanks
    shell

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

I canst answer you question about nystatin but your doctors advice might be worth trying.

“Most women––as many as 75 percent––will have at least one diagnosis of vaginal yeast infection during their lifetimes.”

“About 5 to 8 percent of women develop recurrent vulvovaginal candidiasis (RVVC), defined as four or more symptomatic vaginal yeast infections during a 12-month period.”
    http://www.healthywomen.org/condition/yeast-infections

Its not a uncommon issue so Though many may not agree with how doctors treat it, it is something they treat often.

I would say, there is no quick fix to RVVC and you have to really dig in and change your approach to your diet. While your trying to decide what to do, you can start by eliminating as much sugar and processed foods as possible.

I am sorry I couldn’t answer you question nystatin, hopefully one of the more experienced folks here on the forum will get around to it soon enough.

The protocol outlined on this forum has proven successful for some folks and it certainly something you should consider. As you mentioned diflucan gave you a quick fix but not a long term one. That will take a dietary change and commitment.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

shell wrote: Hi

I have been reading over posts trying to figure out how far I should go with the candida cleansing and antifungal drugs etc.
    As I stated in my subject bar I suffer from recurrent v. yeast infections. It has been going on for a few years and I have been doing a variety of things to get rid of it. I live in Canada and my doctors have never heard of the tests mentioned on the web page. I have seen a naturalpath who put me on a candida diet but it was not very strict and really did nothing after a year on it. Then I went to see yet another medical doctor who told me that I needed diflucan. So I took it just a few times then started using bio identical progesterone cream. It worked! After a few months I relaxed on my diet, began eating sugar and drinking the odd beer/wine etc. Well needless to say, it came back. After Christmas it was far worse than ever. So I started seeing a “holistic” pharmacist who is convinced I have leaky gut and that I need to do a cleanse and then start a month of nystatin followed by a month of probiotics both internally and orally. I am willing to try this but does anyone know the likelihood of nystatin working and the yeast not becoming resistant?
    Thanks
    shell

Candida Albicans isn’t known to develop resistance to Nystatin. If the specie is affecting you is albicans, you may get good results with it.
    Jorge.

wishnhope
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 80

what is nystatin? Is it like a drug or a supplement? Do I need a prescription? Does it work like diflucan?

shell

Nystatin is an antifungal drug and I do need a prescription to get it but that may not be the same in other countries.

Lorelei
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 28

Hello Shell –

I am currently on a treatment plan with an MD (Yes, a real medical doctor!) who treats candida overgrowth. I have battled yeast infections on and off for the last 3 years. In 2010 I was on a 3 to 4 month treatment with Diflucan, but the candida came back after 6 months or so.

The treatment plan I am following is this:
    – Anti candida diet – the docs plan is not so stringent but I follow the protocol on the forum
    – 1 month of 200 mg of diflucan.I’ll be done with it tomorrow.
    – followed by 1 month of Nystatin – keeping the diet the whole time.

– I also received candida antigen drops that I take 3 x a day. (one small drop.) I did stop the drops for a week or so because my symptoms were coming back and sometimes the doc recommends to take a break from them.
    – A really good probiotic. I take 2 types of probiotics together, at night – 50 billion total.

I don’t know if the Nystatin will fix everything, but I can report back as I take it.
    With the diflucan and diet, I can say that I feel 50% better. But I did have two episodes of a near V. yeast infection breakout while taking the diflucan. (so I’m pretty sure there is resistance.)

I also continue to take natural antifungals. Right now I am taking sf722 3 times a day. When I start the Nystatin, I will switch back to oregano oil. I read somewhere in a study that the combination of Nystatin and Oregano oil is very powerful.

Good Luck

shell

thank you lorelei!

I am feeling a little nervous about the nystatin but I am still going to give it a try. My “holistic pharmacist” gave me the plan and I am going to trust him for now as he is the only professional in my area that seems to know what he is talking about. He is a regular pharmacist that has trained outside of his profession in women’s health. He is constantly away for medical conventions etc. and bringing back the info to our small town. The latest he told me is that I do not need a high count in my probiotics because they have discovered that it is more important what is in it and the percentages of each in relation to each other. Apparently in shipping many of the good bacteria cancel each other out and by the time you get them they are not what they say on the bottle. Even the ones kept cold. He is away again right now and will be back tomorrow so I will find out more from him then. I will post whatever I learn.
    shell

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Does anyone have recurrent V. Yeast Infection as their main symptom?’ is closed to new replies.