Doctor wants me to quit candida diet

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Doctor wants me to quit candida diet

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Headless Horse 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

pink cat
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hello,

I’m a woman in my twenties. I’ve been following the candida diet for about 7-8 months, and before that I had already cut sugar and high-carb foods from my diet. I started making these changes to my diet because of vaginal yeast infections / vaginal itching. After having been on this diet for months I’m still experiencing some itching nearly every day.

Last summer I went to see a doctor and she prescribed me some medicine to treat yeast infections. The medicine wasn’t of help so I started following the candida diet. This week I went to see the doctor again. She doesn’t think my problem is caused by yeast because I’ve already taken medicine for that and because I’m still experiencing symptoms despite following this diet. She told me to go back to my normal diet, except I should still avoid sugar and very high-carb foods. She wants me to reintroduce glutinous grains, too, and unless I do that they can’t test me for celiac disease. (Though I don’t think I have celiac because I’ve never noticed any stomach pain or diarrhea after having gluten. Actually I’ve only started to experience loose stools after starting this diet.) She also thinks I shouldn’t make such radical changes to my diet just because of genital problems.

I’ve been keeping my diet as strict as I possibly can. I’ve had e.g. some berries, carrots, and sugar-free chocolate (sweetened with xylitol) at reasonable amounts, and my toothpaste contains sorbitol, but other than that, I haven’t “cheated”. For the first few months I didn’t even have carrots or berries. I’m taking probiotics, vitamins, omega 7 oil, and a product called Candida Forte which contains inulin, grapefruit seed extract, dandelion root extract, Jerusalem artichoke powder, and psyllium.

So, as you can probably imagine, I feel like I’ve done a lot of work with my diet and I’m afraid of going back to normal. I’m afraid all my symptoms will worsen again and I’ll have to start from square one to get rid of them.

I don’t want to reintroduce everything at once, so I decided to start with some dairy products since I already have butter and probiotic yogurt in my diet. I bought some lactose-free cheese and had it yesterday and today morning. At first I didn’t notice anything but after having breakfast today, I started to feel like I have phlegm in my throat. Now I wonder if I’m imagining things… Could it be that I’m so scared of reintroducing foods that my brain makes up symptoms for me?

I would welcome any advice any of you might have.

Halzbaby
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

I don’t see any reason for ever adding gluten back into your diet regularly.Furthermore, if a doctor told me to add processed grains into my diet I wouldn’t listen to anything else they said.
    Otherwise, I would treat it like the elimination diet and add one thing back at a time for long enough to see if it’s the problem.

As far as the vagninal problems, what birth control are you using? Do you use tampons, or pads? If so, what type? I switched to reusable pads from the diva cup recently and haven’t used any paper products in years. There is a lot of strange things in disposable feminine products. My vaginal imbalance has mostly cleared up since I switched to letting the blood flow out like it wants to and not putting any chemicals in my vagina.
    As a side note– the problems worsened when I got a copper IUD significantly. I am now doing basal temp for birth control and this helps too.
    I am 27 and have experienced your same issues as you for over 10 years with it worsening over time. I am on the candida diet with a supplement similar to yours, but haven’t been quite as strict. My symptoms are beginning to clear up. I am doing a parasite cleanse afterwards and will continue to do a full-on yeast cleanse once a year from here on out.
    Hope some/any of that helps.

pink cat
    Participant

Thank you for your reply, Halzbaby! To be honest, I’m not sure if doctors here even believe in things like candida overgrowth. I’m just tired of trying to guess what’s wrong with me so I wanted a doctor’s opinion again. I also got a gynecologist’s appointment for April so hopefully I’ll get some answers soon.

As for birth control, I only use condoms (non-latex ones just to be safe). I use unscented cotton pads. I’ve heard good things about menstrual cups but I don’t think I’d be able to use one because even tampons are painful to use. I’ve yet to try reusable pads but perhaps I should give it a try.

It’s good to hear you’ve started to get rid of your problems, it gives me hope.

fiae
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 23

Hi Pink Cat,

I had a similar problem with my doctors (I changed over the years) and they would constantly prescribe me medications to help. I became immune to Diflucan after the second try, but Boric Acid helps. It helps so long as you keep using it, meaning it isn’t actually solving the problem. But if you’re looking for relief while working through the diet, I recommend Boric Acid.

I would also recommend seeing a Naturopathic doctor as not all traditional doctors are educated about Candida.

fiae
    Participant
    Replies: 23

One other note – one of the main reasons I lost faith in my traditional doctor was because she told me that “maybe I didn’t have a yeast infection” despite all of my physical symptoms that had lasted for 5 years – because my yeast strain had changed and wasn’t recognizable on the PAP test results.

She told me all of this with a silly little smirk on her face – incredible insensitive, especially considering the torturous years I had confided in her about. I have since seen other doctors who have confirmed that it is an internal overgrowth.

pink cat
    Participant

Hi fiae, thanks for your reply!
    I’m sorry to hear about your bad experience with your doctor. It seems like doctors really don’t take these kinds of problems seriously. If my problem persists, perhaps I’ll need to consider a naturopathic doctor, too. I’ll also keep boric acid in mind!

For now, reintroducing foods has been going well. I’ve had cheese, cream, pork, and some caffeine (decaf coffee, sugar free chocolate, and cocoa powder for baking). I haven’t noticed any changes in my symptoms. Mentally, I feel better. Even if I still can’t have sugar for some time, it’s good to know I can have at least some foods that used to be forbidden. I just hope I won’t suddenly get a flare-up.

ibeatthebeast
    Participant
    Replies: 14

I completely understand how you feel as I was in a similar situation to you. What I have found that has helped me enormously is making home made milk kefir from live kefir grains. All you do is find some high quality kefir grains online and order them, then once they arrive, you put them in a clear glass Mason jar and add 8 oz. fresh organic pasteurized whole milk (preferably unhomogenized if you can find it). Then you Cover it loosely with a lid, leave it out on your kitchen counter away from heat or sunlight, come back in 24-48 hrs, and it’s ready to be consumed! You just need to take a plastic strainer (this is critical), strain the kefir is the grains are separated, and then re-use the grains forever!!! I have done much research on the health benefits of homemade kefir and they cannot be denied. The amount of probiotic bacteria and friendly yeasts in homemade kefir far surpasses anything you could possibly buy in the store or in a probiotic capsule. We’re talking hundreds of billions to a few trillion bacteria and yeasts! I have seen a huge improvement in my candida ever since I started having homemade kefir daily. The strains of bacteria and yeast in kefir have also been proven to be able to kill candida and other pathogenic microbes in the gut and recolonize the gut with friendly bacteria. I swear by this regiment and will continue doing this forever! Try it and I promise you won’t regret it!!!

Headless Horse
    Participant
    Replies: 8

Doctors are some of the dumbest, most arrogant people I’ve ever spoken with. They have zero credibility when it comes to treating mental or physical health problems. I have more respect for garbage-men and strippers. Don’t trust doctors or treat them with anything but obnoxious condescension.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Doctor wants me to quit candida diet’ is closed to new replies.