Do you have to take anti fungal medication?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Do you have to take anti fungal medication?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  hothook 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

debthebee
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 24

Hi, I’m not sure if anyone will be able to help with this question but I’m currently in my 3rd week of the diet, soon to move on to phase 2 where you are supposed to start taking anti fungal medication.

I went to see my doctor today and he said he doesn’t know much about Candida nor does he know of how it can be tested for and therefore is not happy about prescribing me any medication. Unfortunately Nystatin is not available without a prescription so it looks like I can’t get it. I’m really angry – it’s not my fault he doesn’t know anything about the condition – and if I wait to be referred to a gastroenterologist (who also might know little on the subject) it will probably be months down the line. I’m hoping to only do this diet as it is on this site…not for months on end.

Does anyone know if not taking an anti fungal will hinder my progress?

Oh_Wicked_Waiting
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

I would think it depends on the severity of the infection. If you go to a Doctor that has AIDS or cancer patients they would be familar with Candida. As it is typical for patients with lowered immunity. I went to several Doctors who looked at my split and throughly coated tongue and prescribed antibiotics! Finally found a Doctor who know right away what it was, what a relief. Good luck to you!

debthebee

I’m not sure where you are based but where I am it’s very difficult to find out which doctors know what. We have General Practitioners as a first port of call and it’s pretty much a gamble as to what they do and don’t know, but in my experience they seem to know very little apart from the things that most people know. Their only use seems to be to prescribe medication for general infections. The doctor suggested he refer me on to a gastroenterologist but I’m not sure that would be the right thing and it would take months for me to get an appointment, by which time I will have completed the diet.

I guess I’ll have to try the natural anti fungals and see how that goes.

hothook
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8

Hi, my doctor took a swab from my mouth as a test. I was pleasantly surprised as I expected to be told I had IBS and sent off to eat some bran!!! However she didn’t mention that but also did a blood test for coeliac disease, which seems quite sensible.
    As for medication, I’ve read that taking anti fungals can actually hinder healing from natural sources so have decided to explore that avenue first, even though my symptoms are reasonably severe. I’m lucky enough to work in a health food shop so know lots of customers who work as herbalists, homeopaths etc so have had the benefit of their free advice and the general consensus seems to be to steer clear of medication.

jereseib
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 32

Just go out and buy some natural anti-fungals. They work just as well without the drug side effects plus you dont need a prescription either. It doesnt surprise me about that doctor. Most doctors will have no clue what you are talking about when you mention candida.

kaye
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 12

hi debthebee

ive been seeing a naturapath and he has prescribed all natural anti fungals as it helps kill off the candida quicker as well as you starving them.im taking oil of oregano as its the strongest, im also taking physillium husks , gentle iron, selenium, vitamin c, EPA, hydrochloric acid tabs as us candida sufferers have a terrible digestive system, very high dose acidophillis .im drinking lots of camomile tea as this is a antifungal also,ive been on these supplemnts for four weeks now . hope this helps 🙂

debthebee

Thanks for your replies.

I’ve read that depending on the strain of Candida some natural anti fungals won’t work. I was considering getting proper testing done but it’s a lot of money. However, I also don’t want to waste money on buying every type of anti fungal and then have to throw it out if it doesn’t work. It’s really quite confusing.

hothook
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 8

Hi, I’ve discovered a product called candida clear which contains magnesium, caprylic acid, black walnut, pau d’arco and oregano oil. I’m also taking a separate magnesium supplement as it only contains 10% of rda and a couple of spoonfuls a day of coconut oil for extra caprylic acid.
    Like you I was unsure which to go for so this seemed like a good balance but since I’ve only started taking it in the last couple of days I’ve yet to decide if it’s doing good. If it doesn’t work for me then I’ll try goldenseal. I didn’t opt for this in the first instance because I’d read it can be quite harsh.
    Coupled with lots of garlic, ginger, onion and the other natural “food fighters” I’m finding that even after just a week my joint pain, thrush and gas symptoms seem to be better. I’ve also been taking echinacea and milk thistle.
    Hope this helps x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Do you have to take anti fungal medication?’ is closed to new replies.