Do I Have Candida Overgrowth?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Do I Have Candida Overgrowth?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  dvjorge 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

K5750s
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 1

I have been entertaining the idea that I may have candida overgrowth for quite a while now. I’ve been having chronic vaginal yeast infections and athletes foot, a thin white coating on my tongue, depression, headaches, severe PMS and mood swings and ovarian cysts for the past year or two. I am very good at listening to my body and feel like a candida infection is a real possibility but my doctor doesn’t seem to think candida really exists. For a while I’ve been going back and fourth between believing my doctor and believing that I have candida, until last month when I threw out the notion that candida was possible and went on a dairy, sugar and carb binge, eating cheese, bread and chocolate and drinking milk every day. I felt great while I was eating all those things but a couple weeks later, upon my first day of ovulation I fell apart emotionally and physically. I got depressed again, had heavy PMS and mood swings, acne, headaches, had an ovarian cyst rupture and got a vaginal yeast infection. I now really think candida is my problem. Is there an explanation to why I felt really great while eating dairy, carbs and sugar? How likely do you think it is that all my symptoms are candida related? Is there any sort of self test I can do to confirm it or any telltale signs? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

A lot of your symptoms are of candida overgrowth but the ovarian cysts can be a symptom of parasites per my naturopath. My wife has ovarian cysts and needs to kill the parasites in her body via a special (strict) diet and supplements. She cannot afford it yet and doesn’t have the willpower.

A few telltale symptoms of candida overgrowth include white tongue (a healthy tongue should be pink) and itchy anus. Athletes foot and yeast infections are related to candida/yeast.

-raster

yeastygut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 34

Raster, what are the parasites you are speaking of? Last spring I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), and went on the strict diet for candida shortly after. I have not ovulated in over two years (I am twenty-one), and had decided that my body must have been so taxed by the candida overgrowth and my hormones had been so thrown off that my body could no longer handle a regular menstrual cycle. Does any of this make sense? I have been on the diet for almost five months, with some difficulties along the away figuring out which foods I can and cannot eat, but even now that I am on a relatively strict diet plan I do not feel significantly different from before I began the diet. And of course I have still not ovulated, which is worrisome for a variety of reasons, one of which being that without that monthly flush of the uterus the lining builds up and can make one more susceptible to ovarian cancer. I would love to know if anyone else is dealing with this same problem, and if it is candida related.

raster
    Participant

Here is a little info about parasites:

https://humaworm.com/parasitetypes.html

-raster

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

K5750s;29349 wrote: I have been entertaining the idea that I may have candida overgrowth for quite a while now. I’ve been having chronic vaginal yeast infections and athletes foot, a thin white coating on my tongue, depression, headaches, severe PMS and mood swings and ovarian cysts for the past year or two. I am very good at listening to my body and feel like a candida infection is a real possibility but my doctor doesn’t seem to think candida really exists. For a while I’ve been going back and fourth between believing my doctor and believing that I have candida, until last month when I threw out the notion that candida was possible and went on a dairy, sugar and carb binge, eating cheese, bread and chocolate and drinking milk every day. I felt great while I was eating all those things but a couple weeks later, upon my first day of ovulation I fell apart emotionally and physically. I got depressed again, had heavy PMS and mood swings, acne, headaches, had an ovarian cyst rupture and got a vaginal yeast infection. I now really think candida is my problem. Is there an explanation to why I felt really great while eating dairy, carbs and sugar? How likely do you think it is that all my symptoms are candida related? Is there any sort of self test I can do to confirm it or any telltale signs? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I am surprised that your Dr doesn’t believe candida really exist. What kind of Dr is that one??
    There are thousands of medical papers and articles about all the fungus species.
    Do you know what this syndrome is ??

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm24948_Understanding-Candida-Related-Complex.aspx#post24948

Jorge.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

K5750s;29349 wrote: My doctor doesn’t seem to think candida really exists.

Candida is very common with any illness requiring long term heavy antibiotics such as TB, Lymes, HIV, etc. which is well documented. Even though my GP dx’d candida they didn’t even know there were tests to prove such even when I mentioned there were. Recently, printing this blood test information out and showing them a download of the similar test from the lab he uses resulted in an immediate ordering of the test. Go figure: suppose not many Dr’s are willing to do even the simple research about candida.

K5750s;29349 wrote:
    For a while I’ve been going back and fourth between believing my doctor and believing that I have candida, until last month when I threw out the notion that candida was possible and went on a dairy, sugar and carb binge, eating cheese, bread and chocolate and drinking milk every day. I felt great while I was eating all those things but a couple weeks later, upon my first day of ovulation I fell apart emotionally and physically. I got depressed again, had heavy PMS and mood swings, acne, headaches, had an ovarian cyst rupture and got a vaginal yeast infection. I now really think candida is my problem. Is there an explanation to why I felt really great while eating dairy, carbs and sugar? How likely do you think it is that all my symptoms are candida related? Is there any sort of self test I can do to confirm it or any telltale signs? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The spit test is unreliable but, the blood test will show what’s going on withIN the body, not just the GI tract which the stool test shows.

Can fully relate to swaying back and forth about thinking candida is real as it’s such a complicated subject that western medicine doesn’t really address properly and it’s mind boggling shifting through all the mis information on the topic. Seems every site has their own opinion about a candida diet: even this forum has the sites diet list versus this forum’s stricter diet. Once you dive further into this subject and co-factor conditions you probably realize this is genuine and can be mind bogglingly complicated to unravel the enigma. Though, it can be done – we all need to remember that.

I embrace thinking about candida as a symptom rather than a stand alone illness: it’s an opportunistic organism leveraging whatever body imbalances there are and then causing other imbalances itself. For instance, once candida turns fungal as in Candida Related Complex which we discuss here, it bores through the intestinal pores to enter the blood stream. The immune system mounts an immune response to the mycotoxins in the blood (they also burden the liver). In addition, the large intestinal pores allow large molecule food particles to pass through (called leaky gut) which the body also mounts immune responses to these ‘invaders’ with every meal. The double whammy of immune responses taxes the adrenal/thyroid axis since they regulate the immune system. This also effects metabolism since the HPA axis regulates metabolism and a slow metabolism is favorable to candida by allowing food to ferment within the gut. A series of negative feedback loops if you will.

Think many histamine/allergic responses are due to leaky gut and not true food allergies since it’s due to the large molecule food particles rather than the food itself.

Also, many vit/min deficiencies are commonly involved (if not caused by candida related dysbiosis) which are critical to the endocrine function. Iodine, iron, vit C, trace minerals, etc…. are very helpful in supporting adrenal/thyroid function. This could be why you experienced some hormonal issues since the endocrine regulates many body systems through various hormones including the stress response. Going to low carb/sugar is ideal in treating candida but, a sudden shift might put the body into a stress response to no carbs called ketosis which creates another negative feedback loop draining adrenal/thyroid reserves even more. Besides, if vit/min reserves are low at treatment onset and not being properly supplemented a heavily restricted diet can deplete them further. I know I got much sicker and developed all sorts of never experienced before worrisome symptoms due to trying to ‘not feed candida’. Let’s face it, candida feeds on everything and it seems to me, getting too scared about food and starving yourself is only giving candida another edge. Besides, the stress of being afraid of food works against a healing path.

I tend to think many so called candida symptoms are really symptoms of these other underlying conditions rather than just due to candida: such as allergy responses, low body temps, etc….

I’m NO EXPERT- only another sufferer whose trying to piece together their own healing path forward and trying to shorten peoples learning curves where possible. The more we share our individual understandings/research the more valuable the collective consciousness becomes. Much of the above negative feedback loops and underlying conditions are taken into consideration and built into this forum’s protocol: albeit subtly at times.

Blessings and hope I didn’t confuse you too much. Hang in there and keep trying.

Ms T
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 22

Hello.

Another woman here posted about a history of amenorrhea, and I’m sure there are others out there, so you aren’t alone. Whether Candidaisis is the cause per se, I happen to think there is some relationship there.

I mean, if you think about it, at the most basic level everything we do on this planet really comes down to fulfilling two goals: eating and reproducing. And there is so much they don’t know about women’s health — what causes uterine fibroids, endometriosis, amenorrhea, PCOS, etc. Western medicine is so used to viewing systems as silos — reproductive, digestive, etc. They even separate out issues like chronic yeast infections and BV from issues like fibroids and PCOS. Ayurvedic medicine, on the other hand, is based on the idea that if you have good digestion, you have your health.

I myself am trying to resolve chronic BV, which two doctors amazingly enough dismissed and two others told me was related to my uterine fibroid, which is actually relatively small. Yes, they tell women with fibroids that excessive discharge is the result of something called “weeping uterus.” Good God. I developed anemia as a result of the fibroid, and was put on prescription iron, which of course, probably fed the Candida. My sugar, carb, and dairy cravings were off the charts. At this point, in addition to taking antifungals, probiotics, and altering my diet, I have started using vaginal probiotics in a suppository form. If I find them helpful, I will post more.

(Just as an aside, after I started the Candida diet, I skipped a period. I’m guessing the die-off and toxins released into my body may have had something to do with that.)

Anyway, all of this is anecdotal, completely unscientific, etc., but I wanted to support you in your thinking that the amenorrhea may be part of a larger systemic issue.

flailingWcandi

Ms T;29362 wrote: I developed anemia as a result of the fibroid, and was put on prescription iron, which of course, probably fed the Candida.

There is a connection between anemia and candida and, I have suffered from both for many years. Not sure if candida causes anemia or leverages anemia but, they are connected. Don’t know how a body is supposed to fight any state of disease while anemic. I’d be more concerned with iron supplementation slowing Gi motility than iron feeding candida: the body needs iron.

Let’s face it, everything feeds candida.

K5750s
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 1

Update:

I got my regular blood test results back yesterday and my doctor said my blood work was stellar. My thyroid is normal, my cholesterol is great, my electrolytes are normal and all my blood count tests were normal, except for my lymphocytes were very slightly elevated at 46% (normal range 20-44%). My doctor said my blood work was completely normal and indicates that I do not have any infections and she did not seem concerned with my elevated lymphocytes whatsoever. Does all of this mean that I do not have a candida overgrowth? That would be great news but if I am so healthy, why do I feel so crappy all the time? Could my doctor be missing something and could my lymphocyte level indicate a yeast overgrowth or other infection? I know for a fact I have a vaginal yeast infection and athletes foot as I write so how did the blood tests miss that? I wish my doctor could explain these things to me but she doesn’t seem to really care for explanation. I wish I could afford to go to a naturopath but the one near my is almost $600 for the initial visit.

raster
    Participant

He didn’t test for candida; you need to do the candida immune complex test through genova diagnostics which will reveal the level of hormone levels found in your blood. There are other tests such as stool tests that indicates levels of yeast.

-raster

flailingWcandi

raster;29383 wrote: He didn’t test for candida; you need to do the candida immune complex test through genova diagnostics which will reveal the level of hormone levels found in your blood. There are other tests such as stool tests that indicates levels of yeast.

-raster

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/testingforcandida.htm

“Blood Test

An Anti-Candida Antibodies, or Candida Immune Complexes test. There are 3 antibodies that should be tested to measure your immune system’s response to Candida – IgG, IgA, and IgM. High levels of these antibodies indicate that an overgrowth of Candida is present. This is the most reliable test for Candidiasis that you can find.”

candida immune complex / genova diagnostics. This test doesn’t test thyroid hormones TsH, T3, T4, RT3, RT4 and hypothyroid could be more accurate as the cause of low body temps, rather than candida IgG, IgA and IgM which is more of the body’s antigen response to candidasis withIN the body. A GI effects complete panel would more accurately show what’s going on withIN the GI tract. At least that’s my current understanding.

Blessings.

dvjorge
    Participant

“Blood Test

An Anti-Candida Antibodies, or Candida Immune Complexes test. There are 3 antibodies that should be tested to measure your immune system’s response to Candida – IgG, IgA, and IgM. High levels of these antibodies indicate that an overgrowth of Candida is present. This is the most reliable test for Candidiasis that you can find.”

____________________________________________________________________________________________
    My contribution:

Anti-candida antibodies isn’t a precise test to diagnose CRC. So, the affirmation on the top isn’t correct.
    I have posted about the tests several times wishing the administrator sticks it to the useful list. It is a common question in the forum that should have an informative link.

The problem with the antibodies is the humoral immune response is more linked to systemic candidiasis than mucosal overgrowth. CRC is a MUCOSAL overgrowth, no a systemic disease.

Cell-mediated immunity is the MAIN immune response to avoid tissue colonization by candida even when some level of humoral response is implicated.

Take home this message:

There are only two kind of tests that really offer a good diagnosis for CRC.

Candida Immune Complexes in blood and a delayed dermal hyposensitivity test.

Of both, the Immune Complexes is the most specific for CRC.

The interesting part is the complexes. When an intestinal overgrowth occurs, fragments of the candida cell wall get the bloodstream. These fragments act as antigens, and immediately active IGG antibodies BIND to them. When this happens, an immune complex is created.
    This phenomenon only occur when the person has an active intestinal yeast overgrowth.

This test was designed to diagnose Candida Related Complex.

The other is an skin test where a patch with candida albicans antigen is set up on your skin.
    You need to wait 48 hours to read the result. If the result is positive, you have an active immunity against candida, very unlike if you have this syndrome.

If the result is negative, it shows you have NOT immunity against candida confirming the growth on your mucus membranes and tissues.

I hope this help. There is nothing more to my knowledge that be specific for CRC.

Jorge.

flailingWcandi

My recent candida antigen blood test came back today positive with the following results:

Candida Immune Complexes in blood – by LABCORP

Candida Antibodies IgG, IGa, IgM

Candida Antibodies IgG
    <30 compared to a range of 0-29

Candida Anibodies IgM
    <10 compared to a range of 0-9

Candida Antibodies IgA
    33 HIGH compared to a range of 0-9

All three were flagged with a code “o2” meaning reason for dr to note concern.

“Results for this test are for research purposes only by the assay’s manufacturer. The performance characteristics of this product have not been established. Results should not be used as a diagnostic procedure without confirmation of the diagnosis by another medically established diagnostic product or procedure.”

My suspicion has always been systemic and the above seems to prove as such as, if it’s in my blood it is most likely in addition to a MUCOSAL overgrowth within the GI.

Any with input: dvjorge?

Blessings.

PS –

Anti-candida antibodies isn’t a precise test to diagnose CRC. So, the affirmation on the top isn’t correct.

The candida blood test information was copied and pasted directly from thecandidadiet candida test post on the main site.

dvjorge
    Participant

flailingWcandi;29399 wrote: My recentlycandida antigen blood test came back today positive with the following results:

Candida Immune Complexes in blood – by LABCORP

Candida Antibodies IgG, IGa, IgM

Candida Antibodies IgG
    <30 compared to a range of 0-29

Candida Anibodies IgM
    <10 compared to a range of 0-9

Candida Antibodies IgA
    33 HIGH compared to a range of 0-9

All three were flagged with a code “o2” meaning reason for dr to note concern.

“Results for this test are for research purposes only by the assay’s manufacturer. The performance characteristics of this product have not been established. Results should not be used as a diagnostic procedure without confirmation of the diagnosis by another medically established diagnostic product or procedure.”

My suspicion has always been systemic and the above seems to prove as such as, if it’s in my blood it is most likely in addition to a MUCOSAL overgrowth within the GI.

Any with input: dvjorge?

Blessings.

It bet ALL that it isn’t in your blood. It isn’t systemic. It only happens in severe immune compromised patients, and they have only hours to get ER and get IV antifungals. Even in that way, many cases don’t survive.
    The immune response to candida is complex. There is a rise in the antibody levels even when the humoral response isn’t the most implicated.

Jorge.

dvjorge
    Participant

See why your IGA is high :

Immunoglobulin A (IgA) is an antibody that plays a critical role in mucosal immunity. More IgA is produced in mucosal linings than all other types of antibody combined;[1] between three and five grams are secreted into the intestinal lumen each day.[2] This accumulates to 75% of the total immunoglobulin produced in the entire body.

As you see MUCOSAL is your problem, no systemic!!!

Keep away the idea candida is in your blood, please. Get a good sleep tonight !!!

Jorge.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Do I Have Candida Overgrowth?’ is closed to new replies.