DNA available for Methylation treatment, Need Help

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions DNA available for Methylation treatment, Need Help

This topic contains 21 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  impossible 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

I just received my Raw DNA from 23andMe. Of course I’m lost as to how to translate it.

Impossible or anyone else with solid knowledge could you please help.

The data is all categorized into numbered groups. So first I need to know which group of data is needed.

They are numbered 1-22 There is also X, Y & MT.

I tried to post a pic of the grouped numberings, but unfortunately this site doesn’t allow upload from your desktop.

Thanks!

kodaz2005

Well I got the info needed for methylation. There doesn’t seem to be a way to upload the image on this site. Can anyone help with my methylation treatment needed? thanks!!

Gene & Variation rsID Alleles Result

COMT V158M rs4680 GG -/-
    COMT H62H rs4633 CC -/-
    COMT P199P rs769224 GG -/-
    VDR Bsm rs1544410 CC -/-
    VDR Taq rs731236 AA +/+
    MAO-A R297R rs6323 TT +/+
    ACAT1-02 rs3741049 GG -/-
    MTHFR C677T rs1801133 AG +/-
    MTHFR 03 P39P rs2066470 GG -/-
    MTHFR A1298C rs1801131 TT -/-
    MTR A2756G rs1805087 AG +/-
    MTRR A66G rs1801394 AG +/-
    MTRR H595Y rs10380 __ no call
    MTRR K350A rs162036 AA -/-
    MTRR R415T rs2287780 __ no call
    MTRR A664A rs1802059 AG +/-
    BHMT-02 rs567754 CC -/-
    BHMT-04 rs617219 __ no call
    BHMT-08 rs651852 CC -/-
    AHCY-01 rs819147 TT -/-
    AHCY-02 rs819134 __ no call
    AHCY-19 rs819171 TT -/-
    CBS C699T rs234706 AA +/+
    CBS A360A rs1801181 GG -/-
    CBS N212N rs2298758 __ no call
    SHMT1 C1420T rs1979277 __ no call

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

I’ll get on it tmrw. Im checking out for the rest of the day, its valentines makeup day 🙂

kodaz2005

impossible;54355 wrote: I’ll get on it tmrw. Im checking out for the rest of the day, its valentines makeup day 🙂

Thanks so much impossible. I’m anxious to hear your breakdown!

impossible

You are likely to benefit from methyation support. Despite the fact that you have some of the serious mutations, your comt and vdr taq status mean you should tolerate methylated substances quite well.

You have one, sometimes major, first priority mutation. The cbs 699 mutation is an upregulation, this means that your body pulls homocysteine into the transsulfuration pathway at an increased rate. This further slows down the methyl cycle and unfortunately can create more bad things like hydrogen sulfide and ammonia. Alot of people are intolerant of sulfur containing foods for this reason, one of the most prolific symptoms is brain fog. It puts more stress on the suox enzyme which can deplete molybdenum as well, as molybdenum is the rate limiting compound in the production of that enzyme. Unfortunately, a cbs upregulation also draws cysteine away from glutathione production. Low glutathione is a big, if not the largest, contributor to a state of toxicity and immune dysregulation in the body. Ramping up the methyl cycle creates more homocysteine, which can lead to more sulfur metabolites and make this problem worse or create one if it is not properly addressed. A sulfur free diet (i dont necessarily agree with removing meat from the diet in the way some people say to), a small amount of molybdenum to help the suox enzyme convert the bad sulfur compounds into good ones, and some yucca root to help mop up excess ammonia is the typical protocol. This should be done before addressing the methyl cycle.

MTHFR 677 is the gene most associated with methyl cycle inhibition and all that comes with it. A heterozygous mutation means about a 35% loss of enzyme function. Your body does not convert folate into the form required to generate SAMe (the bodies major methyl donor) as well as someone without this mutation. Methylfolate supplementation will bypass this mutation and is the best and easiest way to deal with this mutation.

Methyl B12 is the substance that is required to turn homocysteine into methionine (the precursor to SAMe). Methyl b12 is also required for other things in the body, such as nerve myelination (quite important). The MTRR gene encodes the information to produce the enzyme that methylates b12. Gene locations 66 AND 664 are the 2 most associated with lowered production of this enzyme, which slows down the methyl cycle. You are heterozygous for both. The MTR mutation is an upregulation and basically means you use the smaller amount of methyl b12 you are creating at a faster rate to turn homocysteine into methionine. This leaves less b12 for other functions. This can be bypassed by taking methyl b12.

From heartfixer on MAO-A:

Monoamine Oxidase A breaks down serotonin, a neurotransmitter that is generated from the dietary amino acid tryptophan, in a BH4 requiring reaction. Many anti-depressant drugs, including the SSRIs (Serotonin Selective Reuptake Inhibitors) work by blocking the breakdown of serotonin. Defects in serotonin metabolism have been associated with mood and neurological disorders. How best to address the MAO A R297R abnormality is not clear to me. As serotonin metabolism is adversely affected, individuals with the R297R defect should avoid large doses of high tryptophan foods (see appendix). High doses of St. John’s Wort, often taken to address depression, could lead to mood swings as serotonin levels fluctuate. Dr. Yasko recommends frequent dosing in small amounts of St. John’s Wort, 5HTP (a tryptophan metabolite), and the Mood S RNA formula if serotonin support is needed.

If it is an issue for you, there is some more information about this mutation on the web. Phoenixrising is a good website to get a better idea, though sometimes conflicting views can create confusion.

My personal recommendations:
    Address the cbs mutation first. In some people that makes a world of difference. Also, adding turmeric supplementation can help increase the flow of cysteine into the production of glutathione according to Yasko. I suggest starting low and slow with methylfolate and methyl b12, like 50 or 100 mcgs of each, and work your way up. I would think that using b12/folate at a 2 to 1 ratio would be a good place to start. Adding a few hundred mgs of TMG will help pull homocysteine away from the transulfuration pathway, definitely add that in if you experience a benefit from cbs protocol, though its not a bad idea anyways. Some people experience start up symptoms, which are a usually general feeling of being upregulated or anxious. With an MAO-A mutation, your problems most likely would be related to that. In most it tapers off, but in some it can get gradually worse. Taking 50-100 mg of time release niacin will quench this. Study Dr Lynch, I tend to agree with his latest ideas on supplementing the methyl cycle. The need for potassium can increase dramatically when starting a methyl protocol. When it runs low it can create symptoms of muscle cramps/spasms, anxiety, ibs etc. Low potassium is called hypokalemia, some people can require up to or even more than 1000 mgs to quench those symptoms. Though, not all people get them. Also, starting a methylation protocol can make inflammation/sensitivities much worse, so these things should be under control before embarking on your methyl journey. As always, I recommend being under the supervision of a professional, the more experience they have with this, the better.

Keep us updated 🙂 Good luck!

kodaz2005

Thanks for the detailed response Impossible. I had been reading about the Sulfur and I’m now planning to get tested for either Sulfur or Ammonia to determine where exactly I am at. After trying to determine what foods contain sulfur, it seems nearly impossible to remove all of them. Any thoughts about a low sulfur diet, by removing the high % offenders like brussel sprouts, broccoli etc? Factoring in a Leaky Gut diet, Candida diet and anti-sulfur diet, that leaves almost no foods.

You specifically mention to get inflammation under control before addressing a methylation treatment. I seem to get inflammation in my gut in the area of the “leaky gut” from almost any and every food I eat. I have tried nearly everything to stop it including fresh turmeric, lots of Omega 3 foods, etc. I guess I’m at a loss for what to do. I just read the Yucca root you recommended is great for reducing inflammation, but turmeric is supposed to be the best, which didn’t seem to resolve it for me. Regarding the Yucca root, would dried work or is fresh essential to the process?

impossible

Mild cases, such as myself, respond favorably to a not eating very much sulfur foods. If I overdo it for even a couple days I still get foggy though. Some people dont get better unless they eliminate all of them. I know it can be tough, but it can be so worth it if you need it. Heartfixer has a good writeup on forbidden cbs foods. Perhaps someone following following a strict diet (I dont anymore, dont have to) and the cbs diet can chime in. I plan on getting the cbs thread going, Ive been putzing around looking things up and reading some studies and articles when I get the chance, if it works out it should be a good thread. Im seeing ALOT of people here with cbs mut’s and active sulfur intolerance. Yucca root capsules are what everyone uses as far as I know.

What are your leaky gut/inflammation symptoms? Perhaps an elimination diet or IgG test would help out with that. Mild anti-inflammatories wont help much until the source of the inflammation is removed. Foods can be a big one. Lets work on the inflammation and cbs first. Lets work on getting your diet nailed down.

How good or bad are your candida symptoms?

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

kodaz2005

impossible;54433 wrote: Mild cases, such as myself, respond favorably to a not eating very much sulfur foods. If I overdo it for even a couple days I still get foggy though. Some people dont get better unless they eliminate all of them. I know it can be tough, but it can be so worth it if you need it. Heartfixer has a good writeup on forbidden cbs foods. Perhaps someone following following a strict diet (I dont anymore, dont have to) and the cbs diet can chime in. I plan on getting the cbs thread going, Ive been putzing around looking things up and reading some studies and articles when I get the chance, if it works out it should be a good thread. Im seeing ALOT of people here with cbs mut’s and active sulfur intolerance. Yucca root capsules are what everyone uses as far as I know.

What are your leaky gut/inflammation symptoms? Perhaps an elimination diet or IgG test would help out with that. Mild anti-inflammatories wont help much until the source of the inflammation is removed. Foods can be a big one. Lets work on the inflammation and cbs first. Lets work on getting your diet nailed down.

How good or bad are your candida symptoms?

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

Thanks for all of your insight Impossible. I have already begun removing all of the obvious sulfur offending foods while I research for the rest of the lower % foods to remove as well. As far as leaky gut symptoms, my lower stomach is visually inflamed. It does make me feel a little stiff. My joints pop and snap. I have a lack of energy or motivation from time to time. However, I’m unsure if that could be a byproduct of the Sulfur overload or maybe even Candida. I also deal with hormonal issues as well.

Your mindset to focus on the inflammation seems to be a good one. Hopefully the Sulfur foods could be the culprit. I’ll update again once I have had enough time on the new diet.

Bansaw
    Participant
    Topics: 50
    Replies: 106

Just a comment on a couple of things here.
    I got a Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy blood test and my levels were seriously down, and I have a similar VDR mutation to you.
    You might want to consider a Vitamin D test. My new [Methylation] doctor says antifunglas will also lower your vitamin D. It’s the first time I’ve heard that.
    And low vitamin D is not good news on many levels.

Another thing I was wondering was about a “sulfur” test.
    I took a heavy metals toxicity test, and (guess what) I was found to be high-ish on mercury and lead (and oddly, Tungsten).
    But the weird thing was, when I was taking DMSA for the test, I was warned by a few people including the doctor that I might not feel good while taking it. I was braced for that. Funny thing was, I actually felt pretty good! I was very surprised.
    Further reading seems to suggest that low-sulfur people tend to feel good during chelation. I am wondering how I find out if I am low or high sulfur,-what test is there?
    Anyone?

impossible

I was actually coming on here to mention having your vit D level checked. It would be a good idea.

Inflammation can be triggered by a myriad of things. The biggest things are infections and food. If your candida symptoms are minimal, look into food. Do you tend to feel best in the morning? The coming and going nature of it suggests food involvement too.

DMSA is a pretty potent anti-inflammatory, it has certain effects on the immune system that are different from other anti-inflammatories. It works in such a way that counteracts alot of the effects of chronic inflammation that people with problems like ours or cfs’ers/autistics have. It will make you feel better even if you have an active infection, which can be a bad thing. Thats why DMSA is known to “feed candida”.

A decent quick test for CBS/sulfur status. Get some sulfate test strips (I got mine from amazon) and check first thing in the morning. I use a cup and do a QUICK dip and check it immediately. I find I get the best results that way. Should be 400 or less. Sulfite strips can also be used, this will more or less check the function of the SUOX enzyme. If it is elevated at all, lower sulfur intake and increase molybdenum intake.

kodaz2005

Bansaw;54470 wrote: Just a comment on a couple of things here.
    I got a Vitamin D 25 Hydroxy blood test and my levels were seriously down, and I have a similar VDR mutation to you.
    You might want to consider a Vitamin D test. My new [Methylation] doctor says antifunglas will also lower your vitamin D. It’s the first time I’ve heard that.
    And low vitamin D is not good news on many levels.

Another thing I was wondering was about a “sulfur” test.
    I took a heavy metals toxicity test, and (guess what) I was found to be high-ish on mercury and lead (and oddly, Tungsten).
    But the weird thing was, when I was taking DMSA for the test, I was warned by a few people including the doctor that I might not feel good while taking it. I was braced for that. Funny thing was, I actually felt pretty good! I was very surprised.
    Further reading seems to suggest that low-sulfur people tend to feel good during chelation. I am wondering how I find out if I am low or high sulfur,-what test is there?
    Anyone?

Hi Bansaw,

I have tested my Vit D several times before and it was low. I have taking 10k iu of VitD daily. There is not much more I can do about it. Low Vit D levels of course aren’t good, but they are very common for leaky gut. Also, I had low Vit D levels before beginning diet changes and using anti-fungals. So your levels may have been low before starting anti-fungals.

I’m in the process of trying to locate a Methylation doctor that can help me. I also want to have the heavy metals test done.

kodaz2005

impossible;54475 wrote: I was actually coming on here to mention having your vit D level checked. It would be a good idea.

Inflammation can be triggered by a myriad of things. The biggest things are infections and food. If your candida symptoms are minimal, look into food. Do you tend to feel best in the morning? The coming and going nature of it suggests food involvement too.

DMSA is a pretty potent anti-inflammatory, it has certain effects on the immune system that are different from other anti-inflammatories. It works in such a way that counteracts alot of the effects of chronic inflammation that people with problems like ours or cfs’ers/autistics have. It will make you feel better even if you have an active infection, which can be a bad thing. Thats why DMSA is known to “feed candida”.

A decent quick test for CBS/sulfur status. Get some sulfate test strips (I got mine from amazon) and check first thing in the morning. I use a cup and do a QUICK dip and check it immediately. I find I get the best results that way. Should be 400 or less. Sulfite strips can also be used, this will more or less check the function of the SUOX enzyme. If it is elevated at all, lower sulfur intake and increase molybdenum intake.

So it appears DMSA is being used to chelate metals. It certainly seems risky if it feeds the Candida. I’ll have to read up on it. I was planning on ordering the Sulfur strips from Amazon as well. It really makes sense to know where my levels are at. If my body isn’t holding in Sulfur, maybe it wouldn’t be necessary to remove all Sulfur based foods. I was reading somewhere on a thread I believe on Phoenix RIsing, Dr Amy Yasko doesn’t recommend people necessarily remove all Sulfur foods if they are homogeneous CBS. The ability of many of the sulfur super foods could still be detoxing the body through other pathways. Of course you can’t have dangerous levels present.

kodaz2005

HI Impossible,

A couple of quick questions. I was doing some research today and I read about some people checking Sulfate levels and checking their Ammonia levels. I’ve ordered the sulfate test strips, but wouldn’t it be redundant to check for ammonia as well? If there are high levels of sulfate wouldn’t there be high levels of ammonia? In a perfect world I would check for both, but my funds are very limited so I certainly want to avoid unneeded expenses. Any opinion on this?

I’m trying to locate a doctor versed in methylation therapy. I checked Phoenix Rising, while they do have some doctor recommendations, none with experience in methylation. Any resources in this area?

Thanks in advance!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

DMSA likely feeds candida because candida consumes heavy metals…I would be very cautious with any chelation therapy and would consult a doctor about chelation if you are interested in it.

A common cause for inflammation is bodily pH. If you are acidic, this will cause inflammation, which then gives candida a home. Dehydration is one of the most common causes of inflammation and its difficult to remain properly hydrated from my experience.

-raster

kodaz2005

raster;54516 wrote: DMSA likely feeds candida because candida consumes heavy metals…I would be very cautious with any chelation therapy and would consult a doctor about chelation if you are interested in it.

A common cause for inflammation is bodily pH. If you are acidic, this will cause inflammation, which then gives candida a home. Dehydration is one of the most common causes of inflammation and its difficult to remain properly hydrated from my experience.

-raster

Thanks Raster. I’m not actually looking to do any of this at the moment. I’m looking to first address my CBS mutation and a determine if I have high sulfite levels.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘DNA available for Methylation treatment, Need Help’ is closed to new replies.