digestive enzymes help feed beneficial flora?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions digestive enzymes help feed beneficial flora?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  raster 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

andrewmezzo
    Topics: 26
    Replies: 17

Hi all, I am currently taking MultiZyme5700 by Standard process. The ingredients include Fig, defatted almonds, pancreatin, fatty acids, bromelain, lipase, cellulase, papain, and amylase. I am just wondering whether these ingredients also act as prebiotics for my probiotics?

Thanks!

Bansaw
    Participant
    Topics: 50
    Replies: 106

Just a heads up: my doc warned me about taking digestive enzymes, the same ones, every day, long term.
    He told me to rotate different ones every four days.

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

what’s wrong with the same ones over and over? my naturopath never mentioned this to me (my naturopath is the same as raster’s)

Bansaw
    Participant
    Topics: 50
    Replies: 106

yisucks;54693 wrote: what’s wrong with the same ones over and over? my naturopath never mentioned this to me (my naturopath is the same as raster’s)

My doc said it could form an intolerance. He recommended I get four: Pancreas Lamb, Beef and Pork from Allergy research group, and I got another regular one Source Naturals Essential Enzymes.

Vegan Catlady
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 626

I wanted to take enzymes until I figured out (maybe I am misunderstanding) that the good bacteria in the small intestine need the fiber for feeding/blooming, and the enzymes break them down instead.

I read about resistant starches, and how the fiber is necessary but enzymes dissolve the fiber…so I am very confused.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Enzymes in general bring great benefit and your doctor likely has different opinions vs. my doctor about enzymes and safety. All I know is that I have taken pro-gest 2+ years now and its worked quite well. I basically don’t really need it anymore because my digestion has improved so much. I still think they work quite well though. I do think people should look into rotating them but I think they are quite safe.

As far as enzymes acting as prebiotics, I don’t think it quite works that way because they don’t contain many prebiotics from my knowledge. However, in general, it should promote beneficial cellular growth via the actions it performs in the gut (namely breaking down the food you eat).

Enzymes break down the biofilms that protect the yeast and when combined with SF722 they become a pretty potent combination.

-raster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘digestive enzymes help feed beneficial flora?’ is closed to new replies.