Different strains of candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Different strains of candida

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  chocoholic 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

Does anyone have access to a list of all the different strains of candida?

Furthermore:

Which are the most common strains?
    Which are the most stubborn to get rid of?
    Is it possible to test for a particular strain?
    Do some antifungals work better against some strains than others?
    Does it make any difference what strain one is actually suffering from?

This is something that I’ve been thinking about lately, and would be grateful for any information or links that could be provided.

Thanks.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Does anyone have access to a list of all the different strains of candida?
    Which are the most common strains?

There are believed to be at least 154 different species in the family of Candida. Clinically speaking, the most well known are:
    C. Tropicalis (probably the most benign type of candida)
    C. Albicans (also called monilia and the most common type)
    C. Parapsilosis (significant agent for sepsis and tissue infections in immuno-compromised patients usually found in hospitals)
    C. Glabrata (prevalent among those who have a weakened or compromised immune system)
    C. Krusei (usually found in immunocompromised humans)

Which are the most stubborn to get rid of?

It’s my guess that Glabrata infections are the worse since they have the highest mortality rate.

Is it possible to test for a particular strain?

I’ve spoken with one particular female member who was diagnosed with Candida Glabrata, so it appears that this is possible at least to some degree.

Do some antifungals work better against some strains than others?

Yes.

Does it make any difference what strain one is actually suffering from?

Probably, but most sufferers never know this for absolute certain.

Able

chocoholic
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 17

I took a Doctors Data stool test which shows that I have the parapsilosis type and it tells me which antifungals and drugs will work and how well each will work. My test origninally showed rhodotorula glutinis/mucilaginosa which changed to candida after antifunal treatments.

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

Thanks for the responses.

So, it seems that if one is able to figure out which strain they are suffering from, they could theoretically have a better idea on how to tackle it. Such as which antifungals would be more effective etc…

Does anyone know the actual name of the test that can detect the specific strain one is suffering from? Is it a blood test? A stool test? A urine test?

chocoholic
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 17

I took the stool test with doctor’s data. It told me that grapefruit seed extract is better than oregano oil for my strain of candida. Also tea tannins, nystatin are good. Not sure how accurate and reliable this test is. Strangely I saw a Dr in NY who told me that he was not permitted to prescribe this test and could lose his license if he did tho he believed it was a reliable test.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Different strains of candida’ is closed to new replies.