Different color for forums and topics with new posts?

Home The Candida Forum Announcements & Technical Support Different color for forums and topics with new posts?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rabelais 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

Hi Anna,

Some other site where I’m active also has several forums, each of them containing several topics, just like this one. But that other site has a feature which I value highly: if a forum contains a new post that I haven’t read yet, that forum displays in red. If I enter the forum, the threads that contain new posts that I haven’t read yet show in red.

Does the new forum software allow for a similar setting?

Rabelais

anna
    Keymaster
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 184

OK, its taken me a while but I think I’ve got this sorted out. You should see a NEW image next to forums that contain unread topics, and next to the unread topics too.

There’s also a ‘Mark all as read’ button at the top right of the screen.

Let me know if this helps!

“In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties.” - Henri Amiel

Rabelais
    Blocked

It works great. This really makes the forum much more easy to use.

Thanks!

Rabelais

anna
    Keymaster

Thanks, but actually I’ve noticed that it seems to have some bugs. The ‘NEW’ tags aren’t clearing consistently, so it looks like something hasn’t been read when it actually has.

There’s another solution though. Look at the bottom of the right sidebar and you’ll see a ‘New posts since last visit’ link. This should be much more reliable. I’m going to disable the ‘NEW’ tags, and let’s try this for a few days instead.

“In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties.” - Henri Amiel

Rabelais
    Blocked

That’s a real pity!

The NEW tags worked perfectly for me. The “New posts since last visit” doesn’t (or maybe not yet). Clicking that link revealed no new posts, even though your post in this thread certainly was new, as was a post about grain-free flax bread.

Perhaps I need to log off and on before the new setting takes effect. I’ll let you know.

Rabelais

anna
    Keymaster

OK, let’s try this for a few days. If its not working, then perhaps we can get a developer to look at sorting out the NEW functionality.

I added a ‘Topics by freshness’ link too, which should also be useful. This shows a list of threads arranged by the last time they were updated.

anna
    Keymaster

Hi Rabelais

We’re still struggling to get this working. The other method didn’t seem to work much better. For now, I’ve switched both off and we will continue to look for a solution.

In the meantime, you can click on the ‘Recently updated topics’ link in the sidebar to see the posts which have been active recently. They are ordered by Freshness, i.e. by the time of the last reply, so this should help a lot.

Best,
    Anna

Rabelais
    Blocked

Thanks, anna, for the updates.

It’s a pity the simple (for the user, that is) solution doesn’t work. It would be really helpful to immediately see which threads have new posts since my last login by means of a different color or a “new” sign or something – frankly, I thought this was standard functionality in all forum software because it is so helpful for the user.

Anyway, the current solution of having a “Recently updated topics” link does the trick quite nicely.

Rabelais

anna
    Keymaster

Hi Rabelais

I noticed that you tried to use an <i> tag to make italics. This has been deprecated now and you should use <em> instead. You can add these automatically by selecting the text you want to italicize and clicking on the ‘I’ link above the text box. Hope that helps!

Best,
    Anna

Rabelais
    Blocked

Hi Anna,

Thanks for notifying.

I did see that one of my posts didn’t look right. I guess I sometimes mix up the methods for formatting that are used on various forums – I’m also active on a different forum where <i> is allowed and <em> is not.

I’ll try to remember to use <em> and <strong> instead of <i> and <b> when posting on this forum – but knowing myself and my memory, I may make the same mistake again, unfortunately.

Rabelais

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Different color for forums and topics with new posts?’ is closed to new replies.