Diet/food question

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Diet/food question

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  BeccaJR 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

not4sakn
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 15

I did a search here before posting and it seems like no matter what you research there are mixed opinions about EVERYTHING!

I have read that no tomatoes, brown rice, quinoa, redskin potatoes etc… are allowed but then you click on another link and read a testimony from someone that has successfully beaten candida and did so by eating these things in moderation.

I really need to keep my calories up which is hard to do keeping carbs around 50g/day. I’ve started eating an avacado a day and also eat almond butter, drink almond milk, and raw almonds as snacks, all of which there are mixed reviews about.

My question is are these things really ok in moderation? Keeping fruits out of the picture for now and trying to keep carbs around 50g/day, can I have almond butter or even tomatoes in moderation along with the other things I mentioned above? Some have cured themselves allowing these into their diet and I realize all are different.

The thing with me is my symptoms are mostly neurological..headaches, neck pain, insomnia, heart palpitations in head, random/intermittent dizziness etc…no stomach issues at all so its really hard to pinpoint whats causing my issues.

Lastly, where can I find info on the phases and how long to stay at each level until slowly introducing foods back into my diet to find the culprit?

Thanks in advance.

Peter
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 17

Hi,
    to be honest i always eaten fresh tomatoes since i’m sick.
    I just remove the skin because i have problem to digest it but really no problem about tomatoes.
    Raw vegetables are always a good choice for candida cause also give you minerals that you lose when you stop eat fruits. You can integrate with minerals/vitamins supplement too like i do.
    Things apart are knowing right quantities that you asked for.
    About that i can say that it’s up of each one of us because our bodies, lifestyles, metabolisms are all different. I can tell you to consume 3000calories per day but might be few for you.
    I experimented almond for example but for me is not good. I go with hazelnuts and coconuts. Avocado too is good. I integrate a lot with olive oil in every meal i do. I consume 60/80gr. of it everyday because have few sature fats. For 100ml of olive oil 14G are sature instead for 100ml of coconut oil 86grams are sature! To keep carbs on a so low quantity (50gr) you need compensate with high calories foods. Could be useful contact a dietologist like i did. It’s true about what you’ve said many thigns seems are mixed up because reaction of people is different. For example you told about almond milk but i can’t drink it at all. That’s not mean you can’t too. You need test sometimes what works for you and adjust the diet accordingly. If you follow my advise and visit dietologist i’m sure you will find a better approach on the diet which is 70% of the cure in my opinion.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Well a lot of your food items should really be stage 3, or basically when you can safely control your infestation. You should be at stage 1 starting out…in the starvation phase! (starving the yeast not yourself)

For almond butter, I would only consume it if its raw almond butter (not roasted). I would only eat the nuts if you soak them in water first.

If you were to eat brown rice 1-2x per week, then this is generally low consumption and shouldn’t really do much harm. The problem is you’ll want to eat it every night eventually (from my experience) and it shouldn’t be one of those items you eat this much.

Same with tomatoes. If you eat a few slices on a sandwich or add a few cubes to your salad, no big deal. If you start eating tomato sauce on brown rice pasta 3 days per week…the yeast will feast!

Potatoes are maybe the worst out of all of these from my experience. I would save for only when eating out or special occasions.

For best results remove all of these from your diet for like 3-4 months and then start eating them, and the yeast will be largely starved out.

-raster

not4sakn
    Participant

Thanks for the replies.

Where can I find information on the different phases?

Also are there strict example meal plans I could refer to that will still allow me to meet my calorie goals daily?

Aiming for 2k minimum but even that seems tough with so much eliminated.

Peter
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 17

I can tell you how i did.
    For something around 3 months ive eaten without wholemeal carbs like rice or pasta. I just took 60 gr home made wholemeal bread in morning with soy milk.
    I’ve used beans and farro which is a very old variety of spelt and is poor in carbs. I don’t know if u can find in the US; here is an image of it:
    http://foodie-fitness.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/farro.jpg
    You see it looks like rice but it’s not rice. You can find also the flour of farro which is poor in carbs. like 36gr of carbs per 100gr of flour.
    After do faeces tests you should see if the infection decreased. Then you can gradually begin eat wholemeal food again but with moderation.
    Hope this helps

not4sakn;53332 wrote: Thanks for the replies.

Where can I find information on the different phases?

Also are there strict example meal plans I could refer to that will still allow me to meet my calorie goals daily?

Aiming for 2k minimum but even that seems tough with so much eliminated.

raster
    Participant

If you’re eating soy and rye, then it’ll be hard to get better from my experience.

Here’s some safe foods that I created in a list:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst9282_Raster-s-safe-food-list.aspx

-raster

not4sakn
    Participant

I’m not eating soy or rye. I’m actually gluten free as well. Not confirmed through testing, just taking it upon myself to try different things since doctors have been no help. I actually had a biopsy for celiac which was negative but that doesn’t mean I don’t have a gluten allergy or that I do. I’m simply eliminating things to see if I have a positive response.

The only things I’ve allowed myself to have that are questionable are raw almonds (I don’t rinse them) and almond butter from Trader Joe’s. Some say that prepackaged nut butters like this can eventually have mold the longer it sits. I believe you, Raster, mentioned this in another thread and suggested making your own at a place like Whole Foods where they have stations setup to grind your own fresh butter.

I workout 3-4 days/weeks and really need to maintain a certain amount of calories. I’ve eliminated all dairy, even my whey protein that I was making daily shakes with until recently. I drank these for extra calories even when gluten free. Now I cannot have that so I purchased hemp protein which taste like death! It’s horrible!!!

It’s only been about 4-5 days. I have no fruits at all even though some say granny smith apples are ok in moderation and no tomatoes. I eat atleast one avacado daily in a salad of spinach, broccoli, cucumber, and a lemon/garlic and olive oil dressing I found online. I have chicken with various dry herbs/seasonings, some red meat occasionally, or fish for dinner.

Breakfast is usually egg whites, uncured peppered turkey bacon from trader joes with no nitrates or anything added, and a glass of almond milk.

I’m struggling to put good meals together to reach 2k calories per day. My meals seem so bland. I thought going gluten free was a challenge but this takes it to a whole other level!

randel
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

what about Quinoa? I saw you asked about that in your question.. it’s on a lot of other lists, and I was excited about getting to eat that in addition to all these green vegetables (which are getting OLD already.) Would love rationale on why or why not to include that in the rotation! Also, I don’t see hummus mentioned anywhere but is that a good stage 2 or 3 product since it’s chickpeas? Would love to add that at some point.

not4sakn
    Participant

How long does each stage last? I’ve read about slowly introducing foods back into your diet but haven’t read anything on time frames.

raster
    Participant

The timeframe varies person to person. For me stage 1 lasted 6-12 months because I had a heavy infestation and was very serious. However I still smoked cigarrettes which was pretty dumb (I have now quit for 5 weeks now finally after all of this time!)

So plan on a few months…

Another thing to consider with the weight lifting is to reduce how much you do it. You need to focus on healing your immune system and not building muscle. You might get too drained continuing to do that on the diet…

For your protein needs I would look at RAW almond butter instead of roasted. The stuff in the containers does stay fresh and doesn’t build up mold, so don’t worry. I made a bad statement about that on some of my threads and I now think its fine in the container. Its still best to make it from the machines, but go with raw almond butter for all of the nutrition benefits.

I would also look at making smoothies to address your nutrition needs. Grind up some healthy stuff like kale and other veggies, nuts, etc. and its a good way to help give your digestive system a break.

One other thing to check out is teff flour. Teff is similar to wheat but has no gluten. It has great nutritional properties, its a hidden super food item basically. Tons of prebiotics and a few hundred strains of bacteria are found within it. You can even make kefir teff bread somehow.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1477_Introducing-a-new-baking-flour-TEFF-Flour.aspx

-raster

not4sakn
    Participant

Thanks!

So for 6-12 months you didn’t have any rice, potatoes, quinoa, or any type of grain or fruit what so ever?

Is kefir OK in stage one? Seems to be mixed opinions on that too.

I found some pumpkin seed nuts at trader joes but the packaging says it’s processed in a facility that packages tree nuts and wheat. This concerns me because of cross contamination. What do you think?

BeccaJR
    Replies: 19

As a Celiac I am very concerned about the statement may contain wheat or packaged in a facility that handle wheat. Almost every time I’ve tested out a food with that label, even if the ingredients list is gluten free, I almost always get sick. I’m very sensitive, but it’s just a warning. It is really hard to find certain foods which can be fully gluten free.

Maybe you have this brand where you are, it’s called Styrian Gold, and they sell pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil which is gluten free and delicious.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Diet/food question’ is closed to new replies.