Die off??

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hope 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

allie716
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hey everyone,
    For the past two and a half years I’ve been struggling with dizziness/poor concentration issues that doctors have been unable to figure out. I also have some smaller issues like digestive problems, slight depression and mood swings and exema. I was a swimmer for ten years and had to give it up about a year and a half ago because of the dizziness. I suspect that the exposure to the chlorine and other pool chemicals, along with a high carb and high sugar diet, probably contributed to my candida issues. Last year, I found this diet and decided to try it out. I did a modified diet (kept fruits and some whole grains) and felt much, much better within about four weeks. However once I felt better I allowed myself to slowly slip back into my old eating habits. This was fine until a few months ago when I noticed the dizziness was coming back. I went back on the diet about five weeks ago, all the way this time (no sugar, only grains are brown rice, quinoa, etc) and I also have been taking garlic capsules for the past couple weeks. I have been noticing in the last 2-3 weeks that I’ve actually been feeling even worse as far as my dizziness goes. I also have been having strong sugar cravings, moodiness, occasional nausea, gas/bloating, and occasional headaches. None of these symptoms is particularly terrible; they’re just hanging around…not getting better or worse and not going away. I have been doing this on my own up to this point but am about to schedule an appointment with a naturopath. But I thought I’d see if anyone out there had a similar experience or was knowledgable about the way die off works. So could these symptoms be die off? Also wondering why I would have die off one time on the diet and not the other? Would it just be because I’m actually getting rid of the candida now, but wasn’t before? Any advice, suggestions or experiences would be welcome. Thanks!

Allie

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hi, Allie.

You probably didn’t experience the die-off the first time on the diet because you weren’t really on the diet. As you stated, you were eating both fruits and whole grains. You may have killed off just enough of the Candida to feel a little difference, but if you were eating these daily, then just these two foods were enough to keep the majority of the Candida in your body fed and therefore alive, because a little goes a long way with Candida. Also, the Candida could have gone dormant for a short time, but the fact is that you were keeping the Candida alive so there was no die-off to experience.

But this time on the diet you’ve gone with it just about 100% it sounds like, plus you’ve added garlic to your regimen. Garlic is a pretty strong antifungal, and especially in the beginning can cause some die-off symptoms. And yes, the die-off is happening because you’re actually killing enough Candida now to make a difference in whether or not the die-off takes place.

Please keep this in mind: Just because you start to ‘feel better’ while on the diet does NOT mean that there are no Candida in your body. It takes a really long time to rid your body of the infestation, and it’s not going to happen in a couple of weeks or even a couple of months, plus, as I stated before, they could be in a dormant state just waiting for the environment to change so that they can strike again.

And it does sound like the symptoms you described were that of mild die-off. Sometimes if you’re just killing a small amount of the Candida on a regular basis, you’ll just experience the milder side of die-off on a continuous schedule. If the die-off bothers you enough to do something about it, there are products which can greatly reduce the effect of die-off. One is called Candidate by Native Remedies and the other should be easy to find in any health of vitamin store, it’s a natural trace mineral called Molybdenum. Both of these can help you a lot with the die-off.

Talk to us, ask questions, and you’ll learn more about this as time passes.
    Able

allie716

Thanks so much able! That’s pretty much what I thought but it’s great to have someone else agree with me, and there was also a lot of good info in your post. At first, I hoped this would be a fairly quick process but I’m realizing through research and my own experience that I’ll probably be on this strict diet for a while and on a maintenance diet potentially for the rest of my life. It’s hard to stay motivated upon realizing this sometimes but I just have to tell myself that this candida has taken a lot away from me and that if this is what it takes to get better, then bring it on. Haha

One thing I’ve been wondering about asfar as die off goes is, if I speed up the process and add more antifungals and a probiotic to my diet, will I get to feeling better faster? Personally, I would rather feel awful for a week or so and then get on the way to feeling better than have the die off symptoms just hanging around for a few months. But if that’s not the way t works, I don’t want to end up making myself feel a lot worse for a long period of time. Maybe I’m trying to rush it too much though? But I am heading off to college in about two months and I’d love to be feeling better by then, though I’m going to keep the diet as best I can. Would be nice to be able to relax just a little though, as I’m most likely not going to be able to prepare my own food. I guess this isn’t really related to my other question, but does anyone have any suggestions for how I might be able to keep up the diet next year?

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Allie.

I know you hoped that this would be a quick process, as most people hope and even expect, but I’m afraid that for most people (obviously not all) curing ourselves of a Candida infestation is anything but a fast process. However, like I’ve said before, in the long run I honestly believe that Candida can be a blessing in disguise. That’s because a lot of people who experience Candida and see what the diet and other supplements can do for their health decide to continue with a better and healthier diet after they’ve cured their infestation, and therefore live healthier lives from that time on.

To answer your question, “… if I speed up the process and add more antifungals and a probiotic to my diet, will I get to feeling better faster?” Whether or not you would feel better faster is really just a guess. However, I’d guess that the chances are that your treatment could be shortened by doing this. I went through a horrible, horrible die-off experience just a short time before I started improving in a big way. But the trick is of course to keep it under control once you’ve killed enough of it. This is done by building communities of good bacteria in your intestines which in turn will keep the Candida under control.

I would definitely ask the naturopath about a good probiotic as well as prebiotics. Ask him/her to suggest a good, strong one for you, and in case the doc doesn’t mention it, a good probiotic can cause die-off symptoms. I would definitely purchase both the Candidate and Molybdenum before starting a probiotic, although the naturopath may have better remedies for the die-off to give you such as herb-mixtures if he/she does this. The same goes for strong antifungals.

Good luck with the doc.
    Able

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hi, there 🙂 You know, another thing to consider when trying to decide whether or not to “power through” a high dosage of antifungals is the inevitable strain that die off is going to put on your kidneys and liver. Personally, I’m an advocate of aiming for “gentle” die off as much as possible. That would mean first following the diet for a week or two to let some of the initial die off take place, then introducing antifungals in relatively low amounts, then gradually increasing them, all the while following the diet closely and drinking a TON of pure water. Water helps so much with easing die-off symptoms! The general recommendation is to drink 1 ounce per 2 lbs. of your body weight. So, since I weigh around 160 lbs, I would drink around 80 ounces of water (although, I’m nearly 7 months pregnant and I drink far more than that!). I also think it’s a good idea to support your kidneys with herbal teas like nettle as they are handling increased toxins from the die off. Your whole body needs **care**, not just the elimination of candida. You might be able to get through die off faster with a pumped up antifungal schedule, but you’re likely going to pay for it in one way or the other. Just my two cents.

Hope it helps 🙂

Hope

By the way, I did begin with probiotics right from the beginning. As Able already explained, they are critical for the long haul fight for a balanced gut. This website does say you can begin the probiotics at any stage in the diet. Even with those, though, I’d work up to what you want to take each day. It doesn’t have to take long – a week or two – to get your body up to an ideal probiotic dose. (lol – and don’t ask me what’s ideal! 🙂 That’s going to depend on tons of factors like age, weight, diet, etc.)

Able, what does you probiotic regimine look like on an average day at this point?

Able900
    Spectator

Hope wrote: Able, what does you probiotic regimine look like on an average day at this point?

Hello, Hope.

Before I answer your question, just a little reminder, you didn’t tell us the result of the culture test Friday. Of course, if you’d rather not discuss it, we understand.

I read over my last post and the other ones as well, and I just want to say that I understand that super bad die-off is anything but easy on the body, and a lot of bad episodes close together would definitely be really hard on the human body, especially the organs you named, Hope. However, that said; I’ll also say that Allie’s situation is a lot like mine was – just different reasons. Allie says she is going to be starting college in about two months, and hopes to have the worst of this behind her by then. And that’s very much the way I felt. I wanted the whole damn thing behind me more than I can say. I found it nothing less than disgusting to think about my body being infested with anything, let alone something as dreadful as Candida, and for the first time, I no longer felt like I was a healthy person, and I really hated thinking like that. So that’s pretty much why I wanted to jump start the whole thing as much as possible, just the way Allie wants to.

I honestly think that the heavy antifungal regimen along with the high probiotic intake is what helped me to get it all behind me as quickly as I did. Would I do it all the same way again? I couldn’t say for certain not being in that position, but my bet is yes I would, exactly. Hopefully Allie will purchase the two products I mentioned to limit the die-off symptoms, drink loads of water and the Nettle Tea, plus she isn’t going to school yet so hopefully she will be able to just stop and rest her mind and body during the worst times, which hopefully isn’t that long. And if it is, she can always ease off a bit to a milder form of die-off. Ok, that’s all I wanted to add to that subject.

As far as what my present probiotic regimen looks like right now; I’m still taking 160 billion cultures a day, 14 strains. To some people that may sound unreasonable, but the research I’ve done is what led me to that amount, and I am NOT suggesting that everyone do this. In addition of course I use a lot of natural prebiotic/probiotics; the oat bran, at least two avocados a day, chicory coffee as well as the root, I’ve started eating sauerkraut once a day, organic Greek yogurt 2 to 3 times a day, plenty of onions (onions contain FOS), the herbs Hawthorn berries, yucca root, and burdock, and I still take garlic capsules occasionally which, in addition to garlic being a good antifungal, it also contain FOS.

Right now, along with a friend, I’m working on a medley of herbs mixture that
    hopefully will be strong enough to feed the flora that I’ve built to the point of keeping the entire community flourishing. At that point, I will lower the amount of probiotics I’m taking. Even though the Internet is full of claims stating that you cannot take too many probiotics, I don’t believe it for a second. I’ve also read of the symptoms that some people have experienced by taking excessive amounts for long periods of time, and I don’t plan on doing that.

Oh yeah, just a bit of fun trivia; Hope, did you know that Skinny Cow Ice Cream is a prebiotic-fortified food? I ran across that while doing some research a while back. What’d you say? … no, I do not eat Skinny Cow. lol

Have yourself a perfect week.
    Able

Hope

Thanks for all the info, Able. I wasn’t holding out on you regarding the culture 🙂 I actually just now got a call telling me the results – as I was reading your post! I had a feeling this was going to be a positive culture, and it was :/ It sort of looks like I’m going to have to just keep dancing back and forth between antibiotics and gaining ground with the diet until Lily is born. Several of my friend who have experience recurrent UTIs in pregnancy have reported that the trouble all resolved after the birth. So, I’m hoping for that. I *know* the diet is helping control the yeast reactions to the antibiotics, though, so I’m also thankful that I got on the diet earlier on in the pregnancy. It’s not the news I wanted, but it is what it is. I did my best to take care of the UTI through alternative means, and it’s still there – with the same bacteria counts. So, it’s Ampicillin this time. It’s supposed to be less likely to cause yeast issues. Thanks for your concern.

Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches were a staple pregnancy food w/ my other babies, by the way 😉 Too funny.

allie716

Thanks so much to both of you for all info…it’s really helpful. I just scheduled an appointment with a naturopath today, so hopefully she’ll be able to give me some great info and tell me what’s best for me on this diet. Your posts have reassured me that I am on the right path though and given me hope that this can work for me, along with some great tips on dealing with the die off. I’ll definitely have to try those, especially if it starts getting worse when I kick up the intensity.

Thanks again 🙂

Able900
    Spectator

Hope wrote: … until Lily is born.

Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches were a staple pregnancy food w/ my other babies, by the way 😉 Too funny.

A staple pregnancy food huh … I bet you had some very happy babies.

“Lily” is your baby’s name, what a great name, and being a symbol of beauty we all know she’s going to be a beautiful baby, with a name like that and a mom like ‘Hope’ .. what else can she be? 😉

I’m really sorry about the test coming back positive, was hoping it would be negative this time.

Hope

Thanks, Able 🙂 Your support is really nice to have.

Hope is actually Lily’s middle name, though. I chose it as my username when I thought it was going to be her first name! So, Lillian Hope 🙂 Sweet little thing. She makes it easier to stick to all this diet business – it’s just as much if not more for her as it is for me. She’s certainly getting a lot of really healthy food if nothing else! No ice cream sandwiches for this cutie!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Die off??’ is closed to new replies.