Day 34

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Tpug 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

spicezoe
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 9

For those of you just starting out, I want to tell you that this diet is quite hard but not impossible and to not give up.

I’m on Day 34 now, which included a 9 day cleanse, and my body is still adjusting to the HUGE change (former Diet Coke and sugar addictions). I’m learning to cook and experimenting daily using the net and all the food on the Stage 1 list. Food tastes great these days and some of my symptoms have improved already.

I highly recommend having a naturopath or other knowledgable support person to help you through as it means that you are assessed before introducing new foods back in and can ask the MILLIONS (okay, I’m exaggerating) of questions that you have about the food and your bodies processes as you detox. If that is not available then definitely post your queries on here as everyone is so helpful.

Share your amazing willpower as you progress through, you’ll be amazed at how your friends and colleques are supportive if it means you’ll get your health back.

I’m encouraged to keep going and I wish you good luck as you embark on your anti-candida diet.

kelandu
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 63

Hi there
    glad to hear you are doing so well. I have just joined another site that basically told me to get off candida clear and all anti fungals apart from coconut oil. The diet there is so strict i cannot do it. Can you please share any ideas for recipes you use? I am struggling to find anything interesting and tasty enough to get by. Have you eliminated potatoes and carrots etc? some of these diets totally contradict each other and its hard to know which way to turn. i would rather take advice from someone that is suceeding on the diet. thanks

HealMyGuts
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 12

Hi!

Way to go on your diet! I am currently on day 26 of the diet, however, I did not do the 9 day cleanse. I am still seeing great results though.

Our experiences are so similar! I have learned so much about cooking already, and I have been trying(and enjoying!) foods that I had never even thought about eating before. I haven’t been using a naturopath, but I am being pretty cautious about the foods I eat, especially the ones that are not agreed upon by everybody. I have been eating almost purely non-starchy/non-sugary vegetables and probably too much meat.

I started a website to try and help sort through all the contradictory information on the internet. Of course, I’m not an expert and my site is subject to my opinions, but I feel like I have done a pretty good and honest job. Check it out and see what you think!

spicezoe

Hey Kelandu,

Glad you have posted on this website to get some support, it’s nigh on impossible without someone to quiz, so keep firing away!

You’re right, heaps of websites and books and recipe manuals contradict themselves on what is the right ingredients for this diet. I am working on a pretty strict version, to be on the safe side, and I go to my naturopath with questions when I am not sure, before I jump in. There may be people on this forum who disagree even with what I am eating, and me them possibly, I think find one version that makes the most sense (for me, it’s the one on this website with a couple of amends) and stick to that. And keep asking questions.

For breakfast I have been making a cereal from puffed amaranth, puffed quinoa, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, sliced almonds, linseed, ground almonds and dessicated coconut. I simply stir it all up and then add rice milk in. It’s delicious and I can honestly say I’ve never looked forward to breakfast more! (store all the seeds in the fridge btw).

For lunch I have salad items – including avocado, tinned tuna (springwater version only)and eggs on some days. I make a dressing from lime or lemon juice, oil sometimes (though usually the lemon is enough for me) or a I dilute almond butter down with a little warm water and use that. It’s my least exciting meal of the day but I have to work so it’s the easiest.

For dinner I am experimenting with a range of ways to use fish, vegetables and some grains, like quinoa or black rice. I have made sauces from almond butter (delicious), the oils that I am using (olive, macadamia & coconut), garlic and heaps of it and I even made my own coconut curry sauce – which felt like a grand achievement! I have been roasting my veggies at times too, which really brings out their flavour. The fish I am mainly baking in tinfoil with similar items to above and loving that too. I am struggling to make the right portion size but as it’s not a high fat evening meal, I’m not too worried about that at the mo.

I’ve mainly used Google as my cooking buddy, it’s amazing what you can find on there, recipe and tips wise. My naturopath told me how to make coconut milk from dessicated coconut – so friggin’ easy! Just place one cup of dessicated coconut in a blender, followed by 2.5 cups of hot water. Blend for 30 secs then sieve the milk out. This is the thicker stuff and it’s great for sauces. Do the same again with the same coocnut and another 2.5 cups of hot water for a thinner milk. I have just been doing it once as I like the more creamy stuff. I then add in some organic curry powder and have a very simple curry sauce for my veggies.

In terms of avoidance – yes I am still avoiding potatoes and I did some research into carrots, asking some nutritionalists and naturopaths and I learnt that raw carrots are okay in moderation but when cooked they turn to sugar quickly and therein lies the problem. I am limiting carrots to three a week maximum, only raw as a snack.

I hope this helps, keep asking questions, I am doing research as I go and happy to share what I am learning.

spicezoe

Healmyguts – checking out your website now – thanks for the link.

kelandu
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 63

thanks for the advice spice joe. Sometimes you feel like an alien on this diet lol. I am wanting to go away for a few days but then I get thinking about what food to take and will i be cooking all day instead of enjoying myself lol. Do you eat out at all? its pretty difficult because everything is full of not allowed foods . Do you have desserts? have you used stevia? I must be having a die off because I am actually craving sugar lol. The next step is getting through easter lol and walking past the easter eggs without giving in hahha.
    kelly

spicezoe

Hi Kelly,

I haven’t eaten out yet but when I do, I’ll only go to places where they have a ‘fish of the day’ as that’s easy to explain and shouldn’t go wrong! I’ve let everyone know that I’m doing this diet and they’ve been very supportive. I have been to a friends for dinner and she thinks I’m a great person to be around if you’re dieting!

In terms of sugar cravings, I personally believe you have to just ride them out. I was eating a cake every day and chocolate every evening before I started on this and so I know my body wants more. I haven’t tried stevia yet, I want to get to the point where my body isn’t expecting anything sweet before I give it that. For anything sweet in the future to be a treat, not a habit.

The same goes for other cravings – each craving reflects what the candida wants. I have had some crazzzzzzzzzzzy dreams about platters of cakes, mushrooms, Pick ‘n’ Mix sweets, bowls of cheesy pasta and more, always with me eating them and then being so disappointed in myself for doing so. I wake up with a ‘phew’ on those days. Last week I was strongly craving potatoes – something I rarely ate pre diet so who knows where that came from!?!

If you go away, I would think yes, you’ll be cooking, there is not much to do around that, but that can be enjoyable if you look on each meal as an experiment, not a chore.

And Easter eggs – gggggggggggggggggggahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I realised the other day I’m going to be missing out on my Creme Eggs this year – boooooooo, so sad, but I’m absolutely certain it will be worth it in the long run. And I’ve had plenty of Creme Eggs in the past!

Hope this helps, Zoe

whyitsme
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 72

good job, keep it going! I am almost at week 16. Been very hard, but once you set your mind to it, you can do anything. Much easier now that holidays are over. That was brutal!

spicezoe

Thanks! I needed that today!

4evryoung
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 20

For breakfast – Brown Rice, Cocnut oil, Cinnamon and Stevia or
    Sauteed Onions, Tomatoes and Spinach with 2 Eggwhites and 1 whole Egg,
    w/ 1 Tblsp Quinoa
    Yesterday I ate leftover Spanish Rice(Brown Rice, Tomatoes, Onions, Chilies) along with Pico de Gallo(tomatoes, onions and Cilantro w/ lime juice)

Lunch – Spinach Salad w/ sunflower seeds, Feta goat cheese and Lemon Juice w/Olive Oil and spices as dressing
    Water-packed Tuna with lemon juice, olive oil and spices
    Left-over grilled Chicken w/ Spinach salad fixings, instead of lemon juice
    dressing I use Green Chili Hot Sauce

Snacks – Plain Nonfat Greek yogurt(careful of the sugar, each brand is different), Chopped Walnuts, crushed Flax Seed, Lemon Juice,Organic Vanilla extract(some extracts have sugar) and stevia
    Raw Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Slivered almonds(because they tend to be bland I add Himalayan sea salt)

Dinner – Grilled Beef or chicken, steamed veggies w/organic butter(taste like the
    butter we made in kindergarten.

Tonight I’ve fixed spaghetti w/lean Gr Turkey, Organic Tomatoes on Brown Rice Pasta

*For myself I’ve learned to limit my options because when I start experimenting I have a tendency to test the boundaries of the Stage 1 diet. Personally I’ve been very satisfied with the choices and have little desire for things not currently allowed on the program. I find I have very little appetite and have to remind myself to eat.

Tpug
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

Keep it up Spicezoe! and thank you for the encouraging words as well. I am on day 38 including an almost 2 week cleanse. I recently just reintroduced some fish into my diet and it is nice to eat some real protein (I love the millet and Quinoa but a change is nice). I have never spent much time cooking and now it seems I am in the kitchen a lot more often and half the time I am searching for recipes or manipulating other recipes to cater to what I can or cannot eat heh.

The results from the diet have been incredible for me. I usually have an upset stomach and constipation almost every day (was even “diagnosed” with IBS) and now for almost 3 weeks I haven’t had a single upset stomach or constipation. My skin is almost all the cleared up and looks a lot more healthier/vibrant. I wasn’t wanting or expecting weight loss but I went from 159 lbs to 141 lbs in about a month. Kind of scary and I can’t wait to get back in the gym and put on at least a few more pounds lol.

The results are what make me stay on the diet. The results and knowing that the diet helped me, is what makes me stay away from the foods I used to eat. The trick is to keeping the bad stuff out of the house and not within your reach either. I have only been out twice now and I was able to ask the server to change a few things for me. Ex. One place had a seared tuna salad. I asked if I could have spinach instead of the salad leaves and just the seared tuna. I wrapped each piece of tuna in the spinach leaves and had a nice dinner while my friends stared at me with disbelief lol. As “alien” as this diet is (usage from a post during this discussion), I feel more human than ever.

Keep at it people, the rewards are pretty amazing. I can’t wait to see where I am in 3 months or a year and keep pushing to make this how I live and eat my life.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Day 34’ is closed to new replies.