Dark unsweetened cocoa powder ok?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Dark unsweetened cocoa powder ok?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Nina N. 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nina N.
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hi all, I’ve read that cocoa is off-limits because of its inflammatory properties. I take a lot of Tumeric and other natural anti-inflammatory herbs and spices. I love chocolate and carob and other substitutes just don’t do it for me. U love dipping allowed fruits in chocolate, or make hot water cocoa w Stevia for my chocolate cravings. Is this still bad? Any other reasons not to use cocoa with a condida condition??

Leila
    Participant
    Topics: 0

Hello Nina! I hope your not looking to be convinced, because good health should always be your goal. And not that anyone on here is going to petition you not eat anything that only you can stop eating by being strong. So as a fellow chocolate lover and newly diagnosed Candida Overgrowth Patient it is not suggest to consume any cocoa, carob, caffeine, or any chocolate derived foods, there are many other stimulants also that keep the ileocecal valve open but those are the main ones. So that means that when you eat food that valve stays open and does not close which can make your condition worse or even create complications with SIBO if you don’t have it already. It is very hard to stick to the diet, especially being a foodie, you make not react to the chocolate and carob or the stevia now. You eventually will as the yeast moves up the small intestine and into your stomach because that valve is not shut. This happened to me and now every time I have anything that turns into any kind of food for the yeast I react, I literally feel like I am hungover like drunk hungover I hurts so bad. The yeast has moved into my lung as I get wheezy with these reactions and my sinus plugs up and causes me to have these headaches that make me so dizzy. I did not know I couldn’t eat these things nor did I have any idea of what I had going on. Until I finally did and was strong about not falling off the wagon no matter how bad the cravings got. So everyone’s case is different but you don’t want to run the risk of creating food intolerances. Once you have food sitting somewhere that doesn’t belong your body sets off the alarm and sends histamine to address the issue, next thing you know your in the Er with a chocolate allergy.This will happen if you keep straying, intolerances get real nasty for Candida sufferers because of the waste it creates and floats around in our bodies and blood, the after math will be liver cirrhosis because as the yeast eat they poop alcohol which is a toxin, they more they poop the more byproduct your body has to clean up. You end up with severe stuff. You can take seriously if you want to doesn’t sound like you do. But it’s also your life.

Nina N.
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts. It sounds like you had a pretty severe case and a lot of health issues. That’s not my situation. The yeast overgrowth is the result of being put on antibiotics for a month. I’ve actually healed things considerably on my own by watching what i eat, internal cleansing and taking good probiotics and natural antifungals. I will not be staying on a candida diet once this bout of candida is under control, which it almost is. I was merely asking about dark unsweetened cocoa specifically during this period. That by no means suggests I don’t take my health seriously ss your last sentence suggested. Every body is different. I’m very healthy overall with great food tolerance and zero GI issues. Years ago i had candida after antibiotics and healed that bout the same way. After it cleared I went bk to a normal diet and haven’t had any issues since. But thanks for sharing about your own challenges. I hope you get better. I’d like to hear from others with less of an extreme approach and restrictive diet. That’s what I was hoping/aiming for. Thx.

Nina N.
    Participant

Leila: I didn’t even bother reading your second reply save a cursory glance, after seeing it’s just another judgmental, abusive, hostile and meandering rant.

Your unhinged tangents, especially in reply to a new-comer to this forum, are not only rude and inappropriate, they’re a reflection of a startling degree of deep-seated bitterness and unhappiness. I’m sure it’s not easy being you, but please don’t project your own problems onto me or anyone else. It’s toxic and bad for your health, and will only exacerbate your struggles and suffering in life.

I’m going to re-post my question in another thread. Do Not reply to it or any of my posts. And don’t waste your time replying to this one, as it will go unread like your last one. I don’t have time for toxic people and their baggage. Good luck to you.

RedSky
    Participant
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 23

Hi Nina,
    I’m new to the diet but have been reading quite a bit and trying to get my head around what we are and aren’t allowed.
    As far as I can see anything with caffeine in it is not allowed in phase 1, so that would include cocoa powder. Carob (I know you said it isn’t filling the craving anyway) is naturally too high in sugar. So if I were you I’d do my best to cut them out.

This diet sucks for people who like food, doesn’t it! Every day I say if I see another plate of veg I’m going to scream. But that said my symptoms sound a lot worse than yours.
    If your symptoms are clearing whilst you’re having the occasional treat it might be that your candida is mild and you can get away with it, but it might also prolong your need for the diet. Maybe try to think do you want this cup of cocoa now or do you want to return to a normal diet sooner and have 0 symptoms. That’s what’s helping me.

Basically, no cocoa or any form of chocolate is sadly not allowed.

Nina N.
    Participant

Hi RedSky, thanks so much for your helpful (and sane!) reply. I relate to all you wrote (and yes the diet sucks for us food-lovers!) While I don’t have chronic candida, I travel abroad quite a bit, which makes strict diets harder to adhere to when trying to restore a yeasty gut back to health. Luckily the last time I had really bad candida was way back in 2002 after a trip to India. I returned with a bad bacterial infection which required antibiotics (I had decided against taking them as a preventative/precaution and instead took natural anti-bacterial supplements, which didn’t do the job that time.) Thankfully I was able to clear the yeast and dysbiosis within 1 month and went on to live a healthy and candida-free existence for years. Then a couple of months ago I was put on antibiotics for a bad ear infection which required them. But this time I was prepared for the dysbiosis, so I’ve been clearing the yeast and reseeding my gut with probiotics, and am almost back to normal. Still, I’ve been wondering about cocoa for a while now, since I’ve been consuming more of it. But you answered my question, so I think my can of cocoa will have to live on the back shelf—— at least until my system is back to its happy place! Thanks again for your kind & succinct reply. I hope you beat this thing and thrive. It’s one of those conditions that can be treated and even cured as long as we know our own body’s machinations, tolerance level and recovery path & pace. Thanks again and best of health to you!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Dark unsweetened cocoa powder ok?’ is closed to new replies.