Cured – What worked for me

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Cured – What worked for me

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  jackrackblack 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

BenHarris
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 8

I would like to start by saying I am a 29 yr old male who has been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia.
    After a serious bout of antibiotics about a year ago I started getting severe genital thrush infections. I used to get them from time to time and would just treat them with topical cream. After the Antibiotics it was so severe that I was taking 6 x 3000mg of Olive leaf extract everyday and cream every morning. After doing a whole heap of research I discovered about sugars and carbs being terrible for the growth of candida albicans.

This is my story and what worked for me. It took 12 weeks.

I was so sick of these infections I was considering circumcision. After much study I decided to give “The Candida Diet” a go.

This is what I excluded from my diet.
    All fruits except tomatoe & lemon
    Sugar
    Honey
    Starchy Vegetables (Anything white other than Zuccini & Cucumber)
    Carbs: Rice, Bread, Pasta, Gluten
    Coffee & Caffeine

This is what I Included:
    Green Vegetables & Bell Peppers (Capsicum)
    All Meats (I ate bacon although I know a lot of sources say not to eat bacon and I also ate Gluten & sugar free sausages)
    Coconut flour baked goods
    Mayonaise
    Eggs
    All Bran Cereal (Once or twice a week after a month on the diet)
    Stevia
    Diet Ginger Beer
    Copius amounts of Low sugar yoghurt (No fruit – you can beat in Stevia for sweetness)

I do not do things by halves and 1stly I would like to stress that this is not a diet, but rather a way of life. I was so sick of my infections that I was willing to do anything. And that means not “Cheating” not having “Off days” not “Bending the rules” but making a decision to kill this thing.

I jumped straight into the diet with no detox or cleansing diet. This worked but also made me feel like I was dying. Having fibromyalgia means that I am used to feeling sick, but this was like my body was full of poison.
    I drank plenty of water and toughed it out, feeling like I had been hit by a truck and like I was going to throw up I was determined to see this thing through. My “Die off period” lasted 2 days.

I ate Bacon Sausages & eggs for breakfast. Omelets, scrambled, whatever combo i could come up with.
    I ate Chicken salad for lunch. This was sometimes exchanged for Steak salad. I used Paul Newmans Creamy Ceaser Dressing. (Do not use diet version it has double the sugars and double the Carbs.
    For dinner I ate Fried cabbage with stevia sprinkled on it. I then would fry up chicken and or steak and place that on top.
    Stir frys with spinach instead of noodles and basic vegetables and steak combos.

I took Probiotics everyday and Stayed on olive leaf extract for about 6 weeks at 2 x 3000mg.

I would like to stress that I saw no relief in my Candida symptoms for 9 weeks, though after treating it with topical cream, it would take 4 or 5 days to return instead of the next day.

I would also eat plenty of Garlic.

One weekend (About week 10) My wife and I stayed at her cousins place. They were drinking beer and I thought I would get some diet ginger beer to drink as I had discovered it was exceptionally low in sugar & carbs. I felt like spoiling myself so I bought a box of them (1 dozen)

That weekend I pretty much matched one ginger beer for each of their normal beers.

The following week I had no symptoms.

I then purchased a product called kolorex off of ebay. I took that daily.

I am not sure if all the Ginger had the effect, or just so happened to be the 11 week that I would finally see break through. Either way I have been symptom free since. I have been eating normally again after introducing carb foods such as pizza and rice only in the weekends, but have found I am still symptom free. I still eat limited carbs but I am not missing them as I can have them now when I feel like them.

I no longer have problems sleeping as I did before and my fatigue (Which was once debilitating) is now gone.

I am aware that many health freaks will say to steer clear of artificial sweetners such as Aspartame but for me my concern was the candida, not so much “Complete healthy eating” if that makes sense. I rarely ate these artificial sweetners anyway and pretty much only used Stevia.

I have also found that when my pains are bad (Fibromyalgia) I eat some high energy foods and the pain subsides a little. This has me believing that Fibromyalgia, as with Candida out break, is greatly effects the Adrenal glands. (The adrenal glands produce cortisone)

Anyway, I am aware that each person is different and It is not the same for any one person, but this is my story and I hope it can benefit someone.

Here are my Tips.

1) Do not cheat the lifestyle, you are only cheating yourself!
    2) It is a way of life, Decide now you are going to do it and do it!! (Don’t call it a diet, call it a lifestyle)
    3) Don’t make excuses!! An Excuse will not make you better, but staying true to the lifestyle will!
    4) Do not give up!! I was about to throw in the diet on week 11 if I didn’t see any benefits by week 10)
    5) Probiotics are your best friend!
    6) Olive leaf extract is a fantastic immune booster
    7) Drink plenty of water
    8) Do not go out for dinner unless you are willing to be fussy with your selection (Once again this is your health and your only cheating yourself)
    9) Get away from people that encourage you to cheat the diet
    10) It WILL get better!!!

GOD bless

Johnny29
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 5

Im glad I can be the first reply on your post, so I can express my gratitude for the tips you gave. Im sure this will help out a lot of people.

God bless you.

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

I see that you ate a lot of meat. How much pork and beef did you eat?
    What kind of probiotics did you take? Pill form/yoghurt/kefir?
    How severe was your condition? Did you have any symptoms before the antibiotics?

Congratz with beating candida!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

So have you gone back to eating a regular non-candida diet or not? Have you tried eating wheat or sugar?

-raster

BenHarris

TheChosenOne;48550 wrote: I see that you ate a lot of meat. How much pork and beef did you eat?
    What kind of probiotics did you take? Pill form/yoghurt/kefir?
    How severe was your condition? Did you have any symptoms before the antibiotics?

Congratz with beating candida!

Hello The chosen one.
    I did not each much pork accept for bacon. This I ate pretty much every morning.
    Meat and green vegetables was my existence. Fish, Kangaroo, Beef, Lamb, Chicken: I ate all of them.

The probiotics I used are called Swisse Probiotic 100 Billion, but then switched to Swanson Ultimate probiotic formula 66 billion (ebay)

I ate plenty of Yoghurt. Fruitless Unsweetened. Many yoghurts that say unsweetened still have a high level of “Natural sugars” so I made sure that Carbs did not exceed 9gm per 100gm and sugars were around 6gm per 100gm.

I would class my symptoms as Chronic. I remember thinking that I can’t imagine anyone else has it as bad as me. I had discharge and infection pretty much everyday and it was often painful. Most of the times intercourse was too painful.

Before taking the Antibiotics in question I was still fairly symptomatic with an infection every week, but If I was to not take my Olive leaf extract I would get discharge that day.

Kefir was not part of my diet.

BenHarris

raster;48553 wrote: So have you gone back to eating a regular non-candida diet or not? Have you tried eating wheat or sugar?

-raster

Hey raster,
    I am still mindful of just how severe my symptoms were so this scares me into not going full force back into my old eating habits.
    I am a very lean person naturally (5 9″ weighing about 65kgs) but can eat incredibly large amounts of food. I could quite comfortably eat 2 bigmacs, and chicken burger, 2-3 fries and a drink to wash it down in one sitting. But, I do not want to risk my hard work going to waste.

However, I started eating 1 Carb meal to start off. This was Pad Thai (Thai Noodles). After this meal I ate diet again. Next night just so happened I had another carb Meal. (Salmon on a bed of Rice). For the rest of the week I ate diet.

I avoided sugars for another two or so week after seeing no infections. I started sugars with bananas (Which many sources claim can actually beat Candida).

I also did not avoid dairy like so many sites recommend. In saying that I did not find that Dairy made my symptoms worse pre-diet.

I have not eaten any white bread yet, but have had rye breads etc. And in all fairness I have had a few McDonalds burgers recently (Which is worse than your store bought white bread)

I honestly feel as though I could eat any food now, but weather it is not wanting my hard work to go to waste or just the fact that I like having more energy, I still eat less carbs than I ever did prediet.

Stay strong, Stay focused.
    Your body, Your Mind, Your Control.

GOD bless.

CiproSucks
    Replies: 22

Hi Ben. Of course, we all eat kangaroo, but I recommend organic turkey bacon instead of pork bacon. More lean and just as delicious. But I have a question…were you diagnosed with fibromyalgia before or after you took the antibiotics?

BenHarris

CiproSucks;48620 wrote: Hi Ben. Of course, we all eat kangaroo, but I recommend organic turkey bacon instead of pork bacon. More lean and just as delicious. But I have a question…were you diagnosed with fibromyalgia before or after you took the antibiotics?

Diagnosed about 2 years before.
    I was interested to see what symptoms were candida and what were actually fibro.
    I have found that the fatigue is almost completely gone since winning on the candida front.
    Kangaroo is actually really nice. It is very gamey in tastes and is readily available here in Australia.

As far as bacon goes I always trim my meats before eating them.

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

As I see it, you ate extremely low carb right? 🙂

BenHarris

klips32;48634 wrote: As I see it, you ate extremely low carb right? 🙂

Yes. For all intents and purposes it was completely carb free.
    I say that because you can never irradiate carbs completely.
    I think the other huge factor is sugars.
    I used to drink at around one Large energy drink a day due to my Chronic Fatigue. On top of this I would drink anywhere from 5 to 12 cups of coffee a day that had two teaspoons of sugar each.
    I remember that If I drank an energy drink without having olive leaf extract that morning, I would get a thrush flare up within 3 – 4 hours.
    On my diet, before eating ANYTHING I would check the label religiously. If the product was greater than 3 or 4gm/100gm in sugars, I wouldn’t touch it (Save yoghurt)

Feelinbetter
    Replies: 9

Thanks so much for sharing!!! I came on the forum tonight feeling discouraged that after 30 days I am not better and still feeling crappy and even wondering if this crazy thing is worth it… The cookies I baked for my hubby and son are looking soooo good and I am so sick of salad and…ok now I’m rambling. All that to say you have encouraged me to continue and given me the strength to walk away from the cookie platter knowing that it will get better… And like you I would hate for all the misery of the past 30 days to go to waste 🙂 congrats on being strong and taking charge of your health!

BenHarris

Feelinbetter;48680 wrote: Thanks so much for sharing!!! I came on the forum tonight feeling discouraged that after 30 days I am not better and still feeling crappy and even wondering if this crazy thing is worth it… The cookies I baked for my hubby and son are looking soooo good and I am so sick of salad and…ok now I’m rambling. All that to say you have encouraged me to continue and given me the strength to walk away from the cookie platter knowing that it will get better… And like you I would hate for all the misery of the past 30 days to go to waste 🙂 congrats on being strong and taking charge of your health!

It is great that I can help someone!!
    You hit the nail on the head. Take control of your health!!
    You can do it! Choose life.
    Congrats on lasting 30 days.

PS you can buy baking stevia, Sugar free cocoa, Coconut flour etc and make a fantastic chocolate cake / muffins and other nice treats to eat.
    The brilliant thing about baking with coconut flour is it is exceptionally high in fibre so it will also help you stay regular. Let me know if you would like a recipe or two.

Congrats again!!

Feelinbetter
    Replies: 9

I am so adding that to my shopping list!!! Thanks again! 🙂

bouncygal
    Topics: 32
    Replies: 100

Hey benharris, its been exactly 11 weeks since i started taking anitifungals,probiotics and on the diet, my main symptom is thrush. Today i feel like a bag of sh*t, just wondering if you were tired alot whilst doing the diet?

Your story gives me hope, as i feel like throwing in the towel too.

i dont take olive leaf extract but i love the taste so i might give it a go now.

BenHarris

bouncygal;48861 wrote: Hey benharris, its been exactly 11 weeks since i started taking anitifungals,probiotics and on the diet, my main symptom is thrush. Today i feel like a bag of sh*t, just wondering if you were tired alot whilst doing the diet?

Your story gives me hope, as i feel like throwing in the towel too.

i dont take olive leaf extract but i love the taste so i might give it a go now.

Make sure you take the tablets, the oil form of disgusting (olive leaf extract).
    I feel tired a lot of the time due to my fibromyalgia/chronic fatigue.

I have found boiled eggs are fantastic for energy. They make a good snack as you can cook them and take them to work pre-made do to speak.

As for feeling bad, I would recommend plenty of water… 2-3 litres a day.

Any vegetable that is green (broccoli, cabbage, silver beat, spinach, lettuce, celeryc etc.) Helps detoxify.
    Red Vegas such as capsicum and tomatoes rebuild cells.

Both rebuilding cells and detoxifying should help you with your malaise.

Did you do the detox diet before starting the Candida diet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cured – What worked for me’ is closed to new replies.