CURED!!!!

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  NeekyNoo 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

carrotflowers
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 7

I hope I’m not speaking too soon, but it seems like I’ve cured my candida. I want to share it because when I first started searching around, it seemed like I was stuck with it forever — I have yet to find someone to post a positive candida story online. So here’s mine!!!

I’ll try to make this as short as possible…. my candida symptoms surfaced after I got my tonsils taken out. Before and after surgery, I was on several rounds of antibiotics, and got a TERRIBLE case of thrush. My oral surgeon said that its typical, since my mouth was closed all day, I ate/drank less, and the antibiotics, of course. He prescribed me some antifungals and sent me on my merry way. Months later, I hadn’t really thought about the thrush since it wasn’t causing any pain/itching anymore (even though my tongue was still pretty white)… my hands and feet starting tingling/cramping/hurting, i had muscle spasms all over, and eventually I got really sick. Flu-like aches, congestion, fever. My doc saw the white tongue, said it was probably some sort of infection, and just told me to drink lots of water… which (obviously) didn’t do the trick.

Well, then I did some intense research. I was panicking, of course, expecting the worst. I went from thinking it was MS, to fibromyalgia, to eventually, (of course!) candida. I finally remembered the thrush, and it all made sense.

So, here’s the combination of things I did that seemed to have helped me(dare I say cure again?)

FOOD
    Two weeks of incredibly strict no sugar diet. Here’s what I ate lots of:
    Salads, with onion, lots of garlic, lemon juice
    Quinoa
    Oatmeal (sweetened with stevia)
    Walnuts and Almonds
    Celery with almond butter
    Rice
    Rice cakes/crackers
    Green Tea (at least one cup per day)

I reintroduced natural sugar slowly, and stayed away from the refined stuff/carbs for another month and a half.

ANTIFUNGALS
    I started right away with natural antifungals: coconut oil, aloe, raw garlic, and garlic capsules. (I tried to switch between these, so the candida didn’t get used to it!) I also bought a bottle of herbal pills called “Candida Detox,” which had oregano oil, pau d’arco, and lots of other good stuff!, I also took a multivitimin, fish oil, vitiman c, zinc, psyllium husk, and a probiotic EVERY DAY. And occasionally, I’d drink a cup of Traditional Medicinal’s Daily Detox Tea.

EXCERSISE
    Definitely important. If I was feeling lethargic or achy, I would hit up the gym, and feel noticeably better after. Here’s my routine:
    Yoga once a week
    Spin class once a week
    Some other form of cardio (treadmill, usually) at least once a week

So I was feeling pretty good after a few weeks, but much to my frustration, I was occasionally getting the weird hand pain, and the muscle spasms everywhere! So.. I think the real icing on the cake (so to speak) was getting acupuncture! I had never gotten it before, and wanted to try it out, and you guys, it totally worked. I used to get probably 500 muscle spasms a day (at least!). I now probably get 1 or 2 every other day, if that!

And now, I feel great. Even though I don’t have much refined sugar anymore, I have had some of it if I’m at a restaurant, party, etc, with no repercussions! I also have been drinking coffee again fairly regularly (though not as much as I used to!) and I still feel amazing.

I hope this is helpful! I think I covered everything, but if not, please feel free to ask questions!!!

NeekyNoo
    Replies: 46

Hiya,

It’s great to hear a positive story, and I really hope you aren’t speaking too soon.

I’ve been trying different approaches over the last year, and went to see a Chinese herbalist. Candida isn’t recognised in Chinese medicine but I got accupuncture and cupping as well as some supplements.
    I started to feel better, went on a sugar binge and then felt worse agin! I lost faith in the treatment and didn’t finish my course. I’ve been thinking about going back and you’ve inspired me to actually do it. How many treatments have you had?

veg2
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 27

that’s awesome! I’m so happy for you! thanks for posting, I have googled ‘candida success stories’ and other such things and you are right, people do make it seem like if you ever look at a carb or a cocktail again you’ll perish- so it’s nice to hear some positive feedback!

Lily
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 42

So lovely to read something positive! I really hope you are ‘cured’. Just out of interest, did you ever try the spit test? It’s supposed to be a tell tale sign of yeast overgrowth. There’s something about it on the site somewhere. My spit had legs. Very unpleasant! Just wondered if you tried it as would be interesting if you’d done a before and after!

carrotflowers
    Replies: 7

@NeekyNoo, I just had one acupuncture treatment! The guy was really good, and although he seemed to have no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned candida and my symptoms that worsen post-sugar consumption, a big part of his diagnosis and plan for treatment comes from looking at patients’ tongues. At this point, mine was still pretty white ish, so I’m guessing he took that into consideration!I would recommend him to you, but I noticed you’re from the UK lol. Good luck!!!

@Lily, I did do the spit test, but I didn’t take it too seriously, since I’ve heard it’s not really reliable. Mine was pretty cloudy and “leggy” as well. Now it’s definitely better, but still a little cloudy… I don’t know what’s normal! I should ask one of my roommates who are presumably candida-free to see what healthy spit looks like, haha

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

That’s very good news, Carrots 🙂 So, all told it was 8 weeks? 2 weeks of strict detox and then 6 weeks of gradual reintroductions? May I ask what you’re eating now – are there foods you’re still avoiding? I think I’d be really leary of trying a number of foods, yet, if I were you. There are so many stories of having yest recurrences just weeks after “ending” an anti-candida diet. I’d love to hear what it seems you’re currently able to tolerate, though. Congrats to you!

guedez16
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

did you feel any kind of chronic fatigue, or social anxiety, or anything other bad effect while going thru detox?

Sunshine
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

thank you for your post, this is really helpful for me as I have only just started and am on my fourth day of the cleanse. I felt absolutely dreadful on day one and two, very lethargic and sick with the flue on top of it all. But on day three I stared to feel better and today even more so. Hearing your story will make me want to carry on even more, sunshine

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Actually, Carrot, you were never on an “incredibly strict no sugar diet” as you wrote, not if you were eating rice, rice cakes and ordinary crackers. Even if you were ingesting some sort of all-bran crackers, brown rice and brown rice cakes, you were still putting sugar in your body, just more slowly than you would have with white rice.
    Brown rice is a starch, and it turns into sugar once it is broken down by your system.

I’m curious about what type of oatmeal you were eating. Most likely, this was also being converted into sugar once in your system.

I certainly hope that the Candida sufferers on the forum will resist taking your advice to heart; with even a somewhat mild case of Candida, your diet would add months to their treatment period and suffering.

Able

Hope

Able, do you eat any grains, then? I’m assuming from your comments that you don’t eat brown rice.

I’m confused by your condemnation of foods that convert to “sugars” once digested. Our bodies *do* need sugars – eventually even vegetables get broken down into fructose. Red peppers and other veggies, for instance, contain glucose and fructose both. So, avoiding all foods that convert to sugars would be nearly impossible and unhealthy. I understand that brown rice is digested more quickly than other grains and has a higher glycemic index rating. Is that what you meant?

I cannot eat puffed brown rice or brown rice crackers w/o a reaction, and I only use brown rice flour sparingly with other grains. However, I do eat whole grain brown rice 3-4 times per week.

NeekyNoo
    Replies: 46

Able900 wrote: I certainly hope that the Candida sufferers on the forum will resist taking your advice to heart; with even a somewhat mild case of Candida, your diet would add months to their treatment period and suffering.

Able

I cured my candida, the first time round, with a fairly relaxed diet and it cleared up within 6 weeks.
    I got it again after taking antibiotics and it is proving MUCH harder to get rid of.
    Everyone is different and I think it depends on many different factors in ones life, health and wellbeing. To categorically say that everyone would suffer if they followed this would suffer is unfair. I’m sorry if you are having a really tough time with it, but some people are luckier.

Able900
    Spectator

Hope wrote: Able, do you eat any grains, then? I’m assuming from your comments that you don’t eat brown rice. I’m confused by your condemnation of foods that convert to “sugars” once digested.

Greetings.

No, Hope, I don’t eat grains or carbohydrates at all other than what small amount of carbs I obtain from coconut flour, the vegetables I eat, and a hand full of blueberries I have every few days. Human beings can live without carbohydrates, and they can live healthier. For example, our body makes the necessary amount of cholesterol that is needed in order to survive. When there is an overabundance of cholesterol in one’s body, that extra cholesterol was created by an overabundance of certain food products in the body. Three ingredients are needed in order for your body to make extra cholesterol, namely, protein, fats, and carbohydrates. One can easily see how too many of the three of these is the reason that we Americans are notorious for our high cholesterol levels.

I’m very sorry that I confused you with my post, and yes, I was speaking of the high glycemic rate in many foods as opposed to that of vegetables. Please believe that I am by no means condemning your diet, and please allow me to explain why I view the Candida diet as I do:

Have you experienced the Herxheimer response, also known as die-off symptoms? If you have, you probably realize how terrible this experience can be. I’ve talked with Candida sufferers who have actually passed out from this part of the Candida cure, and yes, I also experienced it during the worse time of my infestation. Part of the reason that this continues to take place in our bodies is because, if we are using any of the stronger antifungal products fairly often, and not following the diet precisely as it was meant to be followed, what we are actually doing is fighting a war in which we are aiding the enemy with needed supplies such as rations. Do you see my point? By doing this, we are constantly allowing more Candida to grow and survive, and yet attempting to kill them off at the same time. It becomes nothing less than a continuous cycle of feeding and killing, thus experiencing the die-off symptoms over and over again, and unnecessarily prolonging the Candida cure. Perhaps not everyone will experience it in this manner, but I know of many who have.

Of course there are mild cases of Candida in which a milder diet can be tolerated. But do you wonder how many Candida sufferers are really aware of whether their case is that of a mild, moderate, or severe case of Candida? I know that I was not aware that I had a mild case until it changed into a different form, and then I became acutely aware.

I hope that my reply to Neeky’s post will further explain my position, and I’m truly sorry for the lack of clarity in my previous post.

Sincerely, Able

Able900
    Spectator

NeekyNoo wrote: To categorically say that everyone would suffer if they followed this is unfair. I’m sorry if you are having a really tough time with it, but some people are luckier.

To be sure you understand, thankfully I’m not having a ‘tough time’ with this or any other health problem at the moment. I did have a mild case of Candida which started late last year. It was a ‘mild’ case until I went against the diet and decided that I was well enough to start eating a few items that I was not enjoying previously on the diet; foods such as an occasional red apple, half a sweet potato, and occasionally a few whole-wheat crackers. Eventually I was hit with the full force of a Candida infestation. The Candida I had before this was really nothing compared to what I was feeling at that time, because this ‘new’ Candida was at least five times worse than anything I had previously experienced.

Today, I am without a single Candida symptom, but only because of the protocol which I followed devotedly, diet included. However, I still have to be very careful and not eat anything that may feed the left over Candida in my system, as I am aware that it will take many more months before my body is completely rid of this disease.

I’ve spent the last six or seven months studying every volume of information I’ve been able to uncover in the area of Candida causes and treatments (and failures).
    What I’ve learned is to take this disease as seriously as I possibly can. I’ve also learned why, on many forums, you will find people who have suffered from Candida for 10 to 20 years without a cure.

Medical Fact: When Candida is left untreated in the early stages, the disease has been known to cause death to the patient.

If Candida progresses to a stage during which it enters the bloodstream, it is then referred to as Candida Sepsis. I imagine most if not all of you know what the word “sepsis” means, but if you don’t, I will place the definition below. When it reaches this stage, it is extremely difficult to treat and to successfully overcome. Once it reaches this point, the death rate from the disseminated Candidiasis infestation can easily reach 30% and higher.

For this reason, let alone the pain and suffering both emotionally and physically that the patient endures, a dedicated treatment of Candida in its very early stages cannot be overstated.

Sepsis: “Sepsis is the body’s response to a bacterial infection. Your immune system goes into overdrive, which overwhelms the normal processes of your blood. The result is small blood clots forming and blocking the blood flow to vital organs, which in turn can lead to organ failure. Even healthy people can become deathly ill from any type of sepsis. Quick diagnosis and treatment are crucial, because at least one third of the people who are diagnosed with sepsis die from it.”

Even if Candida does not reach this level of overgrowth, even a mild to serious case can cause a condition known as Intestinal Hyper-Permeability, also called Leaky Gut Syndrome. This occurs when the wall of the gastrointestinal tract is damaged by the Candida when it changes its form and creates something called rhizoids, a root like structure which breaks into the intestinal walls. The ‘breaks’ allow molecules such as partially digested fats, toxins and proteins to get through the walls. The body of course sees these substances as foreign forms, and therefore will make antibodies to fight them. This in turn causes the patient to quickly become allergic to various foods which they would previously been able to eat without a problem. By the way, a “rhizoid” is a root type filament which anchors itself to a foundation for the purpose absorbing a food source from the foundation which in turn sustains its existence.

If Leaky Gut Syndrome cannot be healed soon, it eventually leads to many different vitamin deficiencies, as well as deficiencies of minerals such as zinc which causes eye disorders (macular degeneration). Copper deficiencies are normal with leaky guy syndrome which leads to Osteoarthritis and elevated blood cholesterol.

Am I attempting to scare people into taking this disease more seriously? Maybe I am, so pardon me if I take Candida more seriously than some people think I should. What I type here on the forum is done for no other purpose than because I really do hate to see good people suffering, people who, in the beginning of their disease could be healed completely and much quicker than they will later on, but instead do not take a fairly light case of their disease quite seriously enough, and therefore often go in the opposite direction of a healthy recovery.

I truly hope you do not believe that I spend time on these posts which I write simply because I enjoy berating people for not listening or not taking their disease seriously enough, and I sincerely apologize to each of you, and I am asking your forgiveness if I have seemed impudent in my posts. I assure you that I did not intend to present myself in this manner.

Able

Hope

Able, you don’t need to apologize. I wasn’t clear on what you were saying, and now I am. Thank you for taking the time to post all of that 🙂

My candida is mild. On questionaires right now, I’m actually below “mild” symptomatically. *But*, I know I had clear cut candida issues at the onset – thrush, skin rashes. The thrush was in conjunction with an antibiotic, but still. I want to see this thing through, not just jump for a piece of fruit immediately because nearly all of my symptoms seem resolved.

Anyway…

I agree with you that going w/o grains would be ideal for most people in terms of how long it might take to get rid of the yeast. However, I’m pregnant and I already have 4 children at home to care for – without grains my energy levels were too low. With 1-2 small servings a day, I’m much better off and my baby’s weight gain is better. I’m careful now (although I wasn’t at the beginning) to not include too many servings of brown rice. I lean toward a millet/raw buckwheat combo more.

I also agree that it will take longer to get rid of this candida with some grains in my diet than it would without them. My die-off symptoms have been very light – fatigue, mostly – and I’m trying to keep it that way to avoid exposing the baby to high levels of toxic by-products. It will take longer, I know. But it seems to me that my pregnancy kind of demands the slow & gradual path. I began Stage 1 on April 2nd, and I’m still there. Haven’t reintroduced a thing. No potatos, no sweet potatos. I had to have another antibiotic 5 weeks in, though, so I consider that to be pretty much starting all over again. So, although I’ve been on the diet for over 10 weeks, I feel like that antibiotic set me back to square one and I’m really only on about Week 4 or so.

I’m curious for a few more details of this Bigger Badder Candida that came about for you in Stage 2 the first time around How long had you been in Stage 1 before you started trying to reintroduce foods and had the reactions? I’d rather stay in Stage 1 for the rest of my pregnancy (12-15 more weeks) than have a huge wave of candida hit me like that. My intention had been to reintroduce a few of the lowest sugar fruits 3x/week or so in a month or so. Blueberries, raspberries, rhubarb. I’ll look forward to hearing a little more about your experience with reintroducing.

Able900
    Spectator

Hope, thank you for the explanation and for sharing your experience of Candida.

Well, it seems you’ve made some fantastic headway on your journey to cure Candida. I understand your caution since you are pregnant, a very wise decision no doubt, and I completely understand that the baby’s health and growth are of utmost importance.

I was in stage 1 of the diet for just about two months when I started introducing new foods. The “bigger badder” Candida made me feel horrible. I had next to no energy compared to what I had before, and even though I was experiencing the constant hunger, I had no appetite at all and it was a chore just to eat a meal. I lost over 20 pounds during that fairly short period, and really did not need to. I’ve managed to gain 15 of those pounds back, and I’m satisfied with my present weight. But at that time, nothing tasted good, nothing at all. Plus I was experiencing the die-off symptoms almost every day, no doubt because of the strong and numerous antifungals I was taking. Fortunately, I have my own business, so I was able to take advantage of this when I needed some time off. I only mentioned the Candida to my doctor one time during a regular checkup, and I knew right away that I was wasting my time, so of course I never depended on a doctor for advice.

What I’ve reintroduced so far to my diet this time is a short list indeed, namely blueberries three times a week, dried beans once or twice a week, and drinking a little almond milk occasionally as well as using it in cooking. Instead of reintroducing the ‘old’ food products, I’ve decided to stay on this healthier diet for as long as I can, hopefully forever in other words. I know that I feel a lot better eating the way I now do, and I’ve overcome the most difficult part for me. That was allowing my body to become accustomed to virtually no carbohydrates without giving out or giving up, but once I was over the Candida enough to feel a lot better and stop the enormous hunger feeling, the almost- carbohydrate-free diet became a lot easier.

Fortunately I’ve discovered several products which allow me to still enjoy eating and a good meal. The coconut flour is just one example. I can eat ‘bread’ three times a day if I choose without worrying about what I’m putting into my body. Lots of people do not like the taste of this bread, but I doctor it up by brushing it with olive oil and sprinkling sea salt, garlic, and mixed herbs on it and then toasting it in the oven. To me, it’s just as enjoyable as the garlic bread I used to have. I can now enjoy egg salad sandwiches (which I really did miss in the beginning). Of course I don’t use mayonnaise, but I found the Yellow Organic Mustard which is made with apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar, and I use this to make egg salad and deviled eggs as well as coleslaw, which is another item that I missed terribly for a long time. I also purchased some of the organic condensed coconut cream and even made some coconut cookies using it and the coconut flour; which by the way I won’t be doing again, much too sweet for my taste. But I do enjoy the condensed cream mixed in Greek yogurt as a snack as well as part of my breakfast. The yogurt and thick cream together give a nice sweet/sour flavor that I’ve not found in other foods on this diet, a welcome changed.

I didn’t entertain guests, other than my girlfriend, for a long time, but a week ago I invited two other couples for a late dinner. I only prepared the food that I eat, with the main dish being stove-top baked herb Danish hens, which they couldn’t brag enough about, several steamed vegetables, a salad, and the coconut-flour bread the way I make it. I mixed the condensed coconut cream with Greek yogurt and added blueberries and a little Truvia to it for dessert, and you would have thought that I spent hours in the kitchen preparing this dish considering the way everyone wanted seconds … and thirds.

I’m curious about the antibiotic you had to take five weeks into the diet. Was it very apparent as far as the Candida was concerned that you were taking it?

When you start reintroducing foods such as the fruits you named, I’m sure you’re aware that you need to start only one fruit at a time and in a single week. After the second outbreak, I literally stopped eating everything but eggs and green vegetables. That’s how bad I felt and I was determined to ‘do it right’ this time. Gradually, I began slowly trying other things, even foods that were ‘allowed’ on the stage one diet such as coconut, chicken and meat. While doing this, I would go without food (which I know you probably can’t do) for at least five or six hours, then eat only a little of the food I was testing. If I received any type of reaction, there was no doubt about what caused it. This is how I discovered that I had to leave red meat alone. For protein I eat only organic chicken, eggs, and sardines. I eat sardines because, being young fish, they’re one of the lowest-mercury-containing fish we can eat.

Hope, when reading your posts I can feel the energy of wisdom that you share with others. Your children are very fortunate to have you as their mom. I wish only the very best for you and your family.

Able

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘CURED!!!!’ is closed to new replies.