Curcumin as an anti-fungal?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Curcumin as an anti-fungal?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Percyfaith 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I made a note a little while ago when I was reading a magazine that had an interesting article about the negative side-effects of surplus iron in the body. It briefly mentioned something interesting about curcumin (the active ingredient in the spice turmeric).

In a similar fashion to cranberry polyphenols, curcumin can inhibit growth of microorganisms (in this case, yeast) by depriving them of the iron they need to reproduce.

Doing a quick Google search, it appears there’s some research to back this up.

Oxford Journals wrote: Curcumin was much more efficient than fluconazole in inhibiting the adhesion of Candida species to BEC (human buccal epithelial cells), particularly those strains isolated from the buccal mucosa of AIDS patients.

pubmed wrote: we have investigated the antifungal effects of a natural polyphenol, CUR (curcumin), against albicans and non-albicans species of Candida and have shown its ability to inhibit the growth of all the tested strains.

I’m not sure how all the other recommended anti-fungals work, but depriving the yeast of iron in addition to everything else could have a synergistic effect with coconut oil, ACV, SF722 etc. Curcumin has a number of other benefits too. I think it’s known most for its anti-inflammatory properties. You can add turmeric to your food or take concentrated curcumin capsules.

I’ve been getting some pretty bad die-off after eating a ton of this without thinking about it (that’s what made me remember the note from the magazine). It could be more to do with taking ACV more consistently than usual though, so I was wondering what people think.

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

I hope so, because I add it to lots of food.

blakek89
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 186

I take 500mg 3 times per day for pain management, I had previously heard that Curcumin/Turmeric is an effective anti-microbial but never bothered to look up studies. It is also purifying and detoxifying for the liver. Thanks for the post.

Frankshank
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 16

I’m a big fan of Organic India products. Check out their turmeric formula. It consists of ginger, turmeric & curcumin. All the ingredients will help to combat candida. No fillers and potent.

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

Frankshank wrote: I’m a big fan of Organic India products. Check out their turmeric formula. It consists of ginger, turmeric & curcumin. All the ingredients will help to combat candida. No fillers and potent.

isnt curcumin a component of turmeric?

Frankshank
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 16

benc wrote:

I’m a big fan of Organic India products. Check out their turmeric formula. It consists of ginger, turmeric & curcumin. All the ingredients will help to combat candida. No fillers and potent.

isnt curcumin a component of turmeric?

It is yes. They include Turmeric and curcumin in order to cover both bases. Turmeric is the whole herb and the curcumin part of turmeric is believed to be the main reason for its effectiveness. I prefer to stick to whole foods but in order to give the candida a heftier wack I’m using this product for now. It doesn’t have a lot of curcumin in though. The bulk of it is turmeric.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

Javizy wrote: I made a note a little while ago when I was reading a magazine that had an interesting article about the negative side-effects of surplus iron in the body. It briefly mentioned something interesting about curcumin (the active ingredient in the spice turmeric).

In a similar fashion to cranberry polyphenols, curcumin can inhibit growth of microorganisms (in this case, yeast) by depriving them of the iron they need to reproduce.

Doing a quick Google search, it appears there’s some research to back this up.

Curcumin was much more efficient than fluconazole in inhibiting the adhesion of Candida species to BEC (human buccal epithelial cells), particularly those strains isolated from the buccal mucosa of AIDS patients.

pubmed wrote: we have investigated the antifungal effects of a natural polyphenol, CUR (curcumin), against albicans and non-albicans species of Candida and have shown its ability to inhibit the growth of all the tested strains.

I’m not sure how all the other recommended anti-fungals work, but depriving the yeast of iron in addition to everything else could have a synergistic effect with coconut oil, ACV, SF722 etc. Curcumin has a number of other benefits too. I think it’s known most for its anti-inflammatory properties. You can add turmeric to your food or take concentrated curcumin capsules.

I’ve been getting some pretty bad die-off after eating a ton of this without thinking about it (that’s what made me remember the note from the magazine). It could be more to do with taking ACV more consistently than usual though, so I was wondering what people think.

I have used it in the past. It is synergistic with the azoles and polyenes but induces apoptosis. You need to take high doses of Vitamin C to control or reverse it
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1567-1364.2010.00637.x/abstract
    Jorge.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

dvjorge wrote: I have used it in the past. It is synergistic with the azoles and polyenes but induces apoptosis. You need to take high doses of Vitamin C to control or reverse it.

For anyone who may be wondering: Apoptosis is basically the death of cells in the body. High doses of vitamin C protect the cells against early apoptosis.

Able

Percyfaith
    Participant
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 58

I Googled Curcumin and Candida and got to this thread because I am preparing to do a strict diet protocol and am considering what supplements to keep taking and what to not take while doing the diet.

One of the Wiley articles shared by dvjorge about this is
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1567-1364.2010.00637.x/abstract

ends with:
    We provide the first evidence that pure CUR-I in combination with azoles and polyenes represents a novel therapeutic strategy to improve the activity of common antifungals.

dvjorge also said, “I have used it in the past. It is synergistic with the azoles and polyenes but induces apoptosis. You need to take high doses of Vitamin C to control or reverse it.”

Wondering what high dose of Vit C might suffice? I am taking about 3,000 mg per day of Allergy C because my system will not tolerate other C formulas.

We take Natural Factors Curcumin Rich, Curcumin, Theracurmin 300 mg daily for joint pain http://naturalfactors.com/products/detail/4980/curcuminrich but am wondering about continuing it when I begin my Strict Candida Diet Protocol.

That product is so expensive and I would rather take real food instead of supplements.

I really prefer REAL FOOD over supplements so I might rather juice some fresh turmeric root with my green veggies and add some pepper in to help absorption. Only have no idea how much mg wise might be useful.

Anyone using or does anyone know more about Curcumin and Candida?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Curcumin as an anti-fungal?’ is closed to new replies.