crackers!

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

lizzyb100
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Hello

I’m new here and am looking for some advice please. I’ve just done a few days of detox and am now eating from the strict list. Thing is I’m really wanting some ryvita or cracker type thing to put some toppings on. I have picked up some gluten free oatcakes and some corn cakes from a health food shop but I’m not sure if they are OK.

Are they?

Thanks
    Liz

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Lizzy, welcome to the forum.

I assume that “corn cakes” would contain corn; if so, this would be a nice treat for the Candida but not for you.

List the ingredients in the gluten free oatcakes. I can say that there are practically zero prepackaged snacks that are satisfactory for a Candida diet as they all have something in them that the Candida can feed on.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It’d be best to make some dehydrated buckwheat, flax, and sunflower seed crackers at home using a dehydrator or oven, but eating these two items is basically not following the diet. You need to avoid starch as much as possible and these items are both very high in starch. Starch converts to sugar and thus feeds the candida. This is why we don’t recommend rice as well.

-raster

shell1226
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 71

If you have a dehydrator, look up Krazy Kracker Lady online. She has some great recipes for veggie and flax based crackers. I have made them before and plan to do it again. They really came out great.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I’ve been using the veggie pulp leftover from juicing green vegetables mixed with extra virgin olive or virgin coconut oil, spices, and a small amount of chia seeds to make crackers in a dehydrator. They’re not quite as structurally sound as regular crackers, but they can taste pretty good if you use interesting spices, and it’s a good way to not waste juiced vegetable pulp. I imagine they’re probably very high in fiber, since they’re basically just the leftover fiber from a whole bunch of vegetables.

Of course, this is only helpful if you have a juicer and dehydrator on hand.

lizzyb100

Hi ,

Thank you for your responses. I don’t have a dehydrator (I have never even heard of them – but maybe its not a UK thing).

The corn crackers ingredients list simply: corn, sea salt.

The Oatcake info is this:

Oatcakes

Our pure Gluten Free Oatcakes are high in fibre and Coeliac UK approved. They are made with a high quantity of gluten free wholegrain oats that are grown in dedicated fields and milled in uncontaminated conditions. They do not contain any GM ingredients, nuts or added sugars – though they do contain naturally occurring sugars.

Ingredients:

Wholegrain oats (83%), sea salt, raising agents (sodium bicarbonate, ammonium bicarbonate), sustainable palm oil.
    Nutritional Information Typical Values
    Per oatcake Per 100g
    Energy 179kJ 1994kJ
    43kcal 477kcal
    Protein 1.0g 11.3g
    Carbohydrate 4.6g 51.6g
    of which sugar 0.1g 1.0g
    Total Fat 2.3g 25g
    of which saturates0.9g 10.1g
    Fibre 0.7g 8.0g
    Salt 0.1g 1.1g
    Sodium 0.07g 0.78g

Thanks!

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Both of these might be too starchy, and corn presents other problems such as GMO etc. Oat crackers might also contain gluten.

Look up buckwheat crackers or make them yourself, it’s real easy. Here is one of the recipes, but there are many more: http://sugarlessstudent.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/buckwheat-cracker-recipe.html. Google buckwheat crackers or crispbread for ideas on different varieties. You can add seeds and spices to them to make them more interesting (if you can tolerate any). Not sure if there is DM store in UK, they sell buckwheat crackers which are pretty decent and contain nothing but buckwheat and sea salt. I always have them in house and sometimes I have them as a snack, and always save a pack for emergencies when I need a quick bite.

Arijana

lizzyb100

Thanks Arijana,

I’m having a real problem finding suitable crackers. I’m off into town to browse through the health store again. Looks like they do them online but I struggle with home delivery as I work away from home.

alexinlondon
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 21

Hi Lizzy, All,

I had exactly the same question today. I went an bought those oat cakes in Holland & Barrat (UK Health food chain shop).

I actually went in looking for ‘oat bran’ – I heard this was ok for porridge as opposed to regular oats (which I had been eating).

The main diet on the website also said quinoa crackers might be ok or oat bran crackers, but I couldn’t find any of those.

Maybe I can try to make some based on the above recipe, I just really struggle to find time to cook with my work 🙁

Alex

alexinlondon

Quick question, if anyone can tell me, I also bought:

– Scandinavian Bran Crispbread
    – Ingredients: Unprocessed wheat bran (85%), rye flour (14.7%), salt (0.3%)

Is this going to be too starchy? Sorry for what may be a silly question, I’m just learning !!

Alex

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

The diet excludes glutenous grains, which include wheat and rye (and barley).

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Hey Alex!

You should also message Able900 for a copy of the strict diet and protocol if you haven’t yet. It eliminates pretty much all grains (including quinoa) for optimum healing. Basically, unless you made it yourself, you probably can’t have any bread or crackers at this point. Check the bread recipes forum for some good ideas, though! They’re all pretty easy and straightforward (mix together, put in oven for x minutes, eat).

eskimo_pup
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 78

I started on these when I began testing buckwheat, kinda soft and fluffy but crispy too. I just got inspred to have some from your thread. D:

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/285241_Amisa_Organic_Buckwheat_Crispbread_150g.html

Notice the allergy info. though i think it’s made in factories that may also produce nuts, soya, sesame for those of you that may be allergic outside of candida.

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

Those Amisa crispbreads are fantastic. I buy so many boxes if them every month and they’re really cheap. You can get them in Holland And Barrett when they have them in stock but generally for this diet I’d recommend finding local independent health food shops as I have 3 near me and are so much better than H & B, especially for food.

Also, a website I recommend for food on the diet is Healthy Supplies, for people in the UK.

alexinlondon

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments. I’m going to try and bake some bread this weekend. I’ve bookmarked the buckwheat crackers link.

So, for optimum healing we think eliminate all grains.

So that includes pretty much everything like all types of wheat (including buck wheat), including oat and oat bran and rhye etc.

So, I think the best ones to bake will be the vegetable based breaks / crackers? I’d heard someone had made crackers from the pulp from a juicer, or I noticed there was coconut bread.

Alex

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘crackers!’ is closed to new replies.