Constipation, Magnesium, and Kefir Questions

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Constipation, Magnesium, and Kefir Questions

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Danny33 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Jojilla
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 51

Hi Everyone,
    I am over two months in and just had a fairly miserable weekend with bloating, gas, and constipation. The gist of my story—candida, chronic constipation, leaky gut (with reactions prior to diet to oats, coconut, gluten, and eventually it seemed like almost everything!). I’ve been traveling during the past week, and when flying home last night, got really sick—like I did prior to this diet and protocol. Gas, stomach hurt, and the terrible “burpy-thing” that I used to get all of the time from Leaky Gut.

What did I do differently while traveling? I ate food from the brassica family—I had brussel sprouts, kale, bok choy, broccoli. I used to do fine with all of these as long as I did not roast them. I don’t know if this was the culprit or not, but had quite a few sick nights where I could not sleep with stomach ache, bloating and gas; I don’t normally eat these foods (which feels extremely limiting to me).

I have two cups of goat milk kefir a day. One in the morning and one before bed. I wonder if the kefir contributes to my constipation problem? Also, I am wondering if it’s “bad” to have a cup of kefir at night, probably an hour or so prior to sleep?

I am taking Swedish Bitters prior to eating, though not consistently because the bottle says it needs to be refrigerated, and when traveling, I cannot do this. I am also taking betaine after I eat. And have started chamomile tea at night. I would like to start taking magnesium. I don’t know what to buy and/or how much to take for constipation?!?!?! I know most bottles of magnesium, I believe, also have calcium and zinc added. Do I need this? I would like to go and buy some today, so if you can help me that would be great.

Also, I am concerned about my probiotic. I can almost always find Megaflora when traveling, though often not with DDS added. But I can find these DDS products everwhere. http://www.ddsprobio.com/probiotics/ Should I take one of these WITH the Megaflora? I recently ordered HMF-Neuro and am expecting that to arrive in the mail this week.

I would love any comments/feedback and would also greatly appreciate advice on magnesium from those of you taking it, inparticular, for constipation. I don’t think I have EVER had two BM’s in a day, and some days I do not have any.

Thanks so much for your help!

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

As far as magnesium, I know this helps me when I want to get moving. I’m surprised the bitters are not helping because I have recently just starting taking bitters only, and they relieve a lot of pressure for me.

http://www.vitacost.com/natural-vitality-natural-calm-raspberry-lemon

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

If you are constipated then this is what is causing the gas problems essentially. You might find better success with zypan or AF betafood than the HCL supplement you are taking because these are food derived sources. Both of these should reduce the gas.

You might also benefit from digestive enzymes while travelling to help break down the food you eat. These are a table that doesn’t need to be refrigerated.

If your digestion breaks down you will feel like crap. This happens to me when I cheat basically. What happens if you don’t flush a toilet after crapping in it? Well this is what is happening inside your body essentially…

I would try out HMF neuro for awhile and if you find a different DDS product that has a high billion count and a high number of strains (20+ billion cfu per capseule), then I would go for it. You don’t have to restrict yourself to just megaflora. Able mentions some other brands that contain DDS-1 as well on the forum.

-raster

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

I agree with kjones. Natural Vitality – Natural Calm (magnesium) is a great supplement worth trying. Magnesium is probably the best natural stool softener you can get. It tastes great as well.

Chronic constipation is actually one of my most severe symptoms. I use Natural Vitality Natural Calm and Acacia fiber daily. This helps noticeably.

I also have organic black coffee (not recommended on this forum) from time to time and it helps a lot.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

Danny33;48464 wrote: I agree with kjones. Natural Vitality – Natural Calm (magnesium) is a great supplement worth trying. Magnesium is probably the best natural stool softener you can get. It tastes great as well.

Chronic constipation is actually one of my most severe symptoms. I use Natural Vitality Natural Calm and Acacia fiber daily. This helps noticeably.

I also have organic black coffee (not recommended on this forum) from time to time and it helps a lot.

Danny brings up a good point about the magnesium. I backed off from it for awhile because I thought it was stimulating my bowels too much, but for some reason now, I have been flowing somewhat the other direction. I would like 2 bm’s a day without making my bowels too angry. I really notice things, since I don’t have a colon.

Anyways, magnesium relaxes your muscles, mind, etc. Read about it!

Yes, about the only time I drink coffee if I really what to get moving, like Danny said. That is the only reason why I would do it.

Jojilla
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 51

Thanks everyone. I picked up the Natural Calm that you recommended last night. It says to start with 1/2 teaspoon and work my way up, so I will do that. I did some reading about this particular product last night, and people love it—for many reasons! I’m excited to give it a try. And I agree with you about organic black coffee as someone that is chronically constipated—I use it from time to time to give me a boost as well!

The store I went to to buy my magnesium has Naturopaths there to help people. The person I spoke to also cautioned me about my two cups of goat’s milk kefir a day given that I am allergic to dairy; I can tolerate goat’s milk, but maybe it isn’t helping me in the end with regard to constipation?

I don’t want to change two things at once because I won’t know what helped me, so am taking magnesium for now!

Thanks for your help and recommended such a fabulous product!

CandidGut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 10

My understanding is that Magnesium feeds the Candida biofilms.

Is Magnesium considered a safe supplement, given that it will be feeding the biofilm?

Danny33

CandidGut;48484 wrote: My understanding is that Magnesium feeds the Candida biofilms.

Is Magnesium considered a safe supplement, given that it will be feeding the biofilm?

I have been using the above product for a few months with no negitive effects. But I am interested to read the study you speak of. Please post.

CandidGut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 10

Danny33;48489 wrote:

My understanding is that Magnesium feeds the Candida biofilms.

I have been using the above product for a few months with no negitive effects. But I am interested to read the study you speak of. Please post.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst3698_Biofilms-Possible-protocol-for-a-faster-recovery.aspx

http://lymediseaseresource.com/wordpress/magnesium-friend-or-foe-to-chronic-lyme-disease-2/

Dr. Fry explains that the reason magnesium needs to be withheld from the mineral supplement is due to the fact that magnesium aids the bacteria in the development of the biofilm. Therefore, after destroying the biofilm and the bacteria, it is not logical to provide magnesium, which will only help create more biofilm. Dr. Fry has also found that Lyme disease patients more often than not have an overabundance of magnesium. However, he recommends monitoring the patient’s magnesium level during treatment. – See more at: http://lymediseaseresource.com/wordpress/magnesium-friend-or-foe-to-chronic-lyme-disease-2/#sthash.x9j7EVA2.dpuf

Danny33

CandidGut,

Thanks for post.

Even by taking a Cal/Mag supplement I really doubt its making anybody’s candida/gut disbiosis condition worse. It may possibly help the creation of biofilms but with a good candida protocol I don’t think it’s very significant. However, everybody should keep an eye on their own symptoms.

If it’s significantly helping elimination, I believe its worth trying.

Danny33

Also,
    I remembered dvjorge posted on the topic a while back

You have mentioned Biofilm protocols several times. I am curious why are you followed them.
    Do you have bacterial overgrowth or any other resistant bacteria ??

The biofilm protocols I am aware of disrupts bacterial biofilm matrix, no candida albicans biofilm.
    Bacterial biofilm matrix is composed of mostly Iron, Magnesium, and Calcium.

This isn’t the case of Candida Albicans that the matrix is mostly glucose.

The invented web protocols to disrupt biofilms may work in the case of bacteria, but no in the case of candida.

Jorge.

Maybe Jorge can add some more information to this post.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Constipation, Magnesium, and Kefir Questions’ is closed to new replies.