Constipation due to eating grains

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Constipation due to eating grains

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Javizy 7 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

luckymom2one
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 14

Does anyone know what the reason for this is? If my son eats any grains he won’t have a bm for atleast 3 days. But if I completely cut out all grains he goes everyday. What causes this and does this mean there is some underlying issue I am not aware of like a deficiency or something. Any info is appreciated.

Chris24
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 329

There are tons of foods in this world that people are not really accustomed to, but we eat nonetheless. Among these are grains. Humankind only started reeally eating grains around 10000 years when we went from a nomadic to a farming culture. Gluten are the main problem because it is an allergen, this is also one of the reasons it is not allowed on the candida diet. In short, its pretty normal that some people cant cope with certain kinds of foods that we arent really build for to eat.

luckymom2one

But in the Bible one of the main foods was grains. I think it is more how our food is so overprocessed these days. It loses much of its intended nutritional value.

Chris24
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 329

Well, I dont know how the bible would have anything to do with it, its understandable that its in there because farming was big in that time too.
    It is true that cross breeding is a problem nowadays, especially with wheat. Your son might do better on a different grain like spelt. If not, then its probably the gluten.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I also think teff and millet might be good alternatives and have been farmed just as long in history as rice and wheat I believe.

I think the problem is due to gluten, genetically modified foods, processed foods, etc. There are healthier alternatives to eating wheat such as teff that you might find to be a benefit to your health.

-raster

luckymom2one

I am not sure I understand your theory is all. What I meant was that since God created mankind and one of the main foods was grains that it could be how we process our foods nowadays as opposed to the days of the Bible.

luckymom2one

I have never heard of Teff. What is that? We have tried millet and quinoa with not luck though.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

We genetically engineer the foods such as wheat, rice, soy, etc…so the food we eat is not the same as what was in the bible. Same name but not genetically the same. Monsanto was not in the bible.

Also, human genetics change over millenia; our genes reflect the foods we eat and whats in our environment. Each and every thing you put in your body effects your genes…compound this over thousands of years and it causes problems. Humans likely weren’t allergic to grains when they were mostly wild, but after years of living beside them and eating them as a main source of food…its bound to cause problems. Our diets aren’t balanced enough nowadays and in reality we should be eating low amounts of grains, sugar, etc. and high amounts of other foods such as vegetables.

Information about teff:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eragrostis_tef

-raster

mamagibbs4
    Topics: 19

I am new to the Candida diet, but not to topics discussed often in Autism forums. One of these is gluten. You could get your son tested for a gluten sensitiviy. If that turns out to be a factor, there are grains that do not contain gluten. I too believe in the bible, and I believe that grain is the “staff of life”, but there are many grains that do not contain gluten (again, IF gluten is the problem, then those other grains could maybe help your little guy).

Some of the experts on here, like chris24, raster, or able could probably tell you which grains are gluten-free. Good luck!

luckymom2one

mamagibbs4 wrote: I am new to the Candida diet, but not to topics discussed often in Autism forums. One of these is gluten. You could get your son tested for a gluten sensitiviy. If that turns out to be a factor, there are grains that do not contain gluten. I too believe in the bible, and I believe that grain is the “staff of life”, but there are many grains that do not contain gluten (again, IF gluten is the problem, then those other grains could maybe help your little guy).

Some of the experts on here, like chris24, raster, or able could probably tell you which grains are gluten-free. Good luck!

This too is where I have gotten alot of my info in Autism forums that is. As for gluten free my son does best if he rotates foods. He will show sensitity to gluten if eaten too much but he will show ok when we do food intolerance testing and he hasn’t been eating it. So I have to rotate since he is like this with sooo many foods. But with grain it just confuses me and I have contemplated the SCD diet for him but he has too many intolerances to alot of their allowed foods and oils etc. to be able to exclusively follow it. It is very hard to follow a completely grain free diet especially with a picky eater with so many food intolerances. Oh and he has been tested for food allergies, celiac an came up negative. He has multiple pollen allergies and some pet allergies but here to is confusing since they do not show up with the usual symptoms but more with mood, behavioral etc. This is why he was 8 yrs old before anyone even suspected he had allergies.

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

raster wrote: Monsanto was not in the bible.

TOO funny, raster 🙂

Tulip
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 58

What’s monsanto?
    I cut out Japonica rice (have not had quinoa in a about a week and half as well) and I think my bloating has gone down a little bit.I read somewhere about grains causing bloating…so,it’s just vegetable juices,protein powder,vegetables,beans,spices,extra virgin olive oil,Himalayan pink salt for me.I don’t know how much healthier (or restrictive) I can get,in terms of anti-Candida!

luckymom2one

Tulip wrote: What’s monsanto?
    I cut out Japonica rice (have not had quinoa in a about a week and half as well) and I think my bloating has gone down a little bit.I read somewhere about grains causing bloating…so,it’s just vegetable juices,protein powder,vegetables,beans,spices,extra virgin olive oil,Himalayan pink salt for me.I don’t know how much healthier (or restrictive) I can get,in terms of anti-Candida!

I love beans but they give me terrible gas. My son is sensitive to them so he cannot have to many. He doesn’t care for them much anyways so that isn’t so hard.

As for Monsanto, that confused me too then I looked it up and realized I have heard of it. I cannot remember exactly but it is either a pesticide company or a pesticide.

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

If rotating the foods seems to help maybe it is best to keep doing so. I did the food rotation earlier on this year because I read that it would be helpful in terms of healing my leaky gut. I noticed that while doing the food rotation I was able to tolerate more foods. Whereas if I eat the same stuff everyday, sooner or later, I will react to it, no matter what it is ( and this also includes allowed foods on the forum list such as eggs!). I have no idea why the food rotation works better. I am only guessing that there might be some kind of accumulative effect, maybe due to poor/slow digestion and slow transit time (?).

Another issue is that if the transit time is slow (if he is already constipated and the food stays in too long), some foods that are not so easily digested may not be completely digested and then start to ferment in the gut causing all sorts of problems. Grains, especially glutenous grains, can be hard to digest for those whose digestion isn’t working optimally. Another problem with grains may be the fiber; for someone who is severely constipated already fiber can only agravate the problem. I know people say to eat fiber for constipation but for me this only made things worse. What helped me was adding more fat to the diet and starting the day with vegetable juices (to which I added raw egg and home made sour cream for the fat).This is something I picked up from reading about the GAPs diet which you might be familiar with if you’ve been on Autism forums.

Try some of the non-gluten grains like buckwheat or teff. They may be easier on his digestion and they are tasty. I order my teff from iHerb and use it to make breads and pancakes. I seem to tolerate both just fine.

Wendy
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 18

Maybe his body simply doesn’t work good with grains.
    Try to change his diet and adapt it so his body can accept it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Constipation due to eating grains’ is closed to new replies.