Constant Sufferers with Postivie Ending? Help!

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Constant Sufferers with Postivie Ending? Help!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  benc 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Frustrated86
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 8

I have been dealing with a ever present yeast infection for 3 years now. I did a form of the Candida diet about 2 years ago for a month and I did get rid of it. I followed it strictly along with Candida Albican drops from my naturopath. Shortly after, it came back. Over the counter drugs don’t work for me at all.

I don’t want to fight this forever.

I am wondering if anyone has done a form of the Candida diet with lasting results after? I am willing to try it again but a month of basically “starving yourself” (in my opinion) is really depressing when the problem comes right back. I think part of my problem was not taking my probiotics full time after it was gone. Maybe stage 3 needs to be very very prolonged with food restritcions for months after as well?

It makes me sad to think that I can never/rarely have wine or coffee or some “normal fun foods” in the future once I get rid of it. I feel like I have diabetes or something! I love food but I can train myself not to eat certain things for awhile, it’s the coffee that is brutal. Getting up for work at 6 am and trying to function without it 🙁 That’s the 1 thing I deserve, right? Coffee?

I have gained about 10-15 lasting pounds from this full time problem and I know it is very very bad to have the toxins in your body as well as the fact that it slows metabolism. I would love to get rid of the infection and have a side effect of weightloss back to my old normal weight. I feel bloated and pudgy 🙁

A few questions:

1) Has anyone found any natural “waker upers” to replace coffee for the time being or forever?

2) Has anyone had success getting rid of yeast by going off the birth control pill if they were on it and having yeast infection problems? I have been on the pill for 13 years. I would love to go off it but of course don’t want to get pregnant (frustrating!).

Thank-you all in advance!

ciavyn
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

Oh, how I feel your pain. I’m new on here (this is my first post, actually), but I have maybe a unique experience to contract yours. I have celiac’s disease, so giving up foods is part of my life. I don’t cheat. Ever.

Coffee: I started by reducing the amount I was consuming. I had really bad caffeine headaches that I soothed with diet soda or coffee. So first I dialed it back to flavored, light coffee. After a few weeks, I started having green and black teas in the morning. There are actually low caffeine teas just for the purpose of elminating caffeine from your diet. Eventually I was able to let go of it completely. I get up at 5:30AM, and believe me, it can be done. You’ll find once you are off of it, you really don’t need it anymore. Prior to being diagnosed with candida, I drank occasional cups on the weekend, if I was really tired or just wanted to enjoy a cup. But other than that, I stick to a cup of decaf once in a blue moon, and drink water and seltzers only.

re: recovery. This is one of my questions as well, though I have met several people through this experience who’ve recovered significantly. I’ve yet to meet anyone who could say that they no longer had any symptoms. Pretty much, you have to change your diet permanently. I know that is tough to hear, especially when you are in a family or have situations regularly come up where you may have issues. I honestly suggest geting some counseling to work through this. It is a grieving stage, and it’s tough. I went through it with gluten: realizing I would never again eat doughnuts, sourdough bread, pizza…there are no adequate GF substitutes. But I value how I feel and how my body looks more than I value those foods. But it’s taken a while to get there. Going on the candida diet was tough, but really, we shouldn’t be eating all that crap anyway. 🙂 And we know it. But it’s socially very difficult to let go, not to mention our personal attachments to food. Part of what has helped me was joining Paleo/Primal Blueprint forums, where folks eat more or less this way and they have plenty of coping strategies and recipes to make it easier. You’ll still have to be careful about ingredients, but if you search for candida overgrowth on those forums (I use http://www.marksdailyapple.com forum ALL the time), you’ll find many, many sympathetic, determined stories that might make it easier.

This is a little easier on me because I’m used to having to cut out foods, but I remember how hard it was in the beginning. Everyone I’ve talked to said you may be on the diets for months or even years, to correct the damage. I know with Celiac’s, it took me a good 6 months until my intestines healed to almost normal, and another year until I felt really, really good. But I can NEVER cheat, or I have to heal for weeks at a time.

Hang in there. You aren’t alone.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello there,

First of all, I would check out this forum protocol we developed to get better.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

It sounds like you didn’t completely get rid of candida the first time around. You may have improved greatly, but it takes a very long time to heal. I personally have been on the candida diet for about a year and am basically symptom free. I still have candida though because you can never kill it off fully…we need candida to survive! If we killed off all of the candida in the body, we would all die!

It’s all about getting gut flora strong to the point it can handle any infection, bacterium, or fungus.

I also would not plan on eating certain food items throughout most of your life if possible, and these would include white flour, white sugar, GMO food items, and dairy with antibiotics or hormones. If you eat any of these items regularly again, its basically like feeding your body poison. It’ll upset the balance of the flora in your gut to benefit the candida. Same with coffee…it’ll drain the adrenals which are an important part of the immune system…so coffee/caffeine equals poor health in my opinion.

I do have a great alternative to coffee; its called chamomile tea! Chamomile tea makes you sleepy if you steep it less than 8 minutes…but if you steep it longer than 8 minutes, it gives you energy. Its also antifungal, heals hemmorhoids, and aids in bowel movements. I drink 2 cups in the morning and it wakes me up (but not too much).

Ciavyn: I am someone who basically has no symptoms. I can eat 2 poison cupcakes of death and feel nothing whatsoever and experience no set back. Its all about balance between the good and the bad…and this should be a lifelong goal. I am here to share about ways I healed myself. I still have a ways to go because I know I am still improving each and every week…I am getting very strong now!

Also, here is a post about people who were able to get over their candida woes:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm14080_Testimonies-of-Success.aspx#post14080

-raster

Frustrated86
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 8

Ciavyn –

Thank-you for the response. Honestly, it would be more then a grieving process for me. It would break my heart to get rid of everything forever. I know you understand how I feel. I associate food/drinks with something to look forward to in life. When we have to go to work every day and do chores around the house, etc…I feel like it’s the “little big thing” that makes life great. I was always between 130-135 pounds at 5’4″ before thi sstarted happening to me and no matter what I ate I would stay the same. I never over ate but I could eat whatever. Now I’m 5″4 and between 144-147 pounds depending on the day. I know I’m not obese but I don’t feel cute anymore and I know it’s because this is slowing my metabolism. The problem is, do I essentially quit eating/drinking almost everything and get rid of the infection (and get skinnier) and not be able to go back to eating the good stuff ever again anyways or do I live with being 10 pounds (maybe will grow to more) heavier and a bad poision infection in my body. I never ate a lot of icecream, direct sugar or anything but when I first learned about my problem I realized how sugar is in everything..even white rice 🙁

I absolutely I agree that food is society. Of course we know we shouldn’t eat most of what is out there but the problem is that everyone in society does (It’s like being addicted to drinking and have someone constantly slurping a drink in front of you). It’s always there. Not to mention that 90-95% of the food in grocery stores is bad for you in some way. How does someone go shopping and be tempted by the entire store that way? It’s so hard to eat this way as well because it takes time to prepare the food (what do I bring to work, salad? I starve) and the healthy options are so much more expensive. It’s like how Glutten Free foods are priced so much higher. People like you have to pay more when you know there is no reason the food is worth more. They just charge people more because they have to buy glutten free.

I feel like it’s not fair. Of course people with celliac or even worse, diabetes or cancer or a brain tumor say the same thing. “It’s not fair, why me.” I just don’t want one of the things that makes me enjoy life be taken away from me. I could do the diet for longer than a month and slowly bring back some foods but you are right, it probably takes longer than that and how upset would I bet if I ended up getting it back when I introduced foods back? I would be in the exact same place..all that work for nothing. I’m thinking of trying the diet for a month, than taking probiotic like it’s going out of style as well as antifungals to see if I can balance out and slowly introduce things back. If it comes back, I’m thinking of choosing food and living with the infection and weight gain 🙁 I guess I’m “lucky” and at least have that choice but it doesn’t seem like a good one.

The last thing…as soon as I get sick (strep throat twice a year)..whatever I come down with and need medication, it WILL probably come back no matter what.

I’m sad. But thank-you for your honest response.

ciavyn
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

Oh, Frustrated86, I feel your pain in so many ways. I’m nearly tearing up. If it helps: when I first cut out all the gluten free substitutes I’d added — GF cookies, muffins, bagels, etc. it was tough. I took it really slow. But one benefit I had was that I felt pretty good when I was GF. I tended to gain weight though. I was a junk food junkie, so you are talking to someone who counted calories so she could eat a daily snickers bar, french fries, and squeeze in doritos if no one was looking. I ate like this all of my life, until 2010. Those are all gluten free, too! But I decided to go Paleo because I liked the idea of better health and not having to worry about weight gain. Dear god, it was tough. And I worked in an office where we didn’t have a kitchen: the microwave was on a desk in the middle of our cubicles. The smell of some of the foods nearly drove me to drink. But something happens when you don’t have those foods for a long time: you don’t like the smell of them anymore. I used to LOVE the smell of popcorn popping in the microwave, of even frozen meals being heated. Now all I smell is chemicals, and it’s honestly offensive. I smell cake, and I enjoy the scent of richness…but I don’t like how heavy it makes me feel.

Here’s my theory, for what it is worth (this might only work for me, but hey, who knows?) Start focusing in on how you feel after you eat. Do the food diary thing and record how foods make you feel — even if you are having a candida issue, this is worthwhile. Really focus. Try to pinpoint those emotions attached to eating those foods, and the physical responses from your body. While doing this, when you are going to make something “healthy,” find an awesome, easy recipe online (I use google to find recipes for what I have on hand), and make some amazing dishes. When you start eating good, whole foods in easy recipes, and start realizing that some foods just don’t make you feel very good, it starts to give you a reason besides willpower. I honestly don’t want any of the things I see in a bakery anymore. It doesn’t even look appealing — I live next to a Wegmans!

So I don’t know if any of that is helpful. It’s what has worked for me. When I’m not knee-deep in candida ick, I’ve got a good body that stays that way because I nourish it and keep it healthy. That is worth it to me. But I didn’t get to this point overnight. It’s taken several years of small efforts, experiments, and trials to get here.

As raster pointed out, it’s worth it to at least get this under control. A few months eating different — heck, we tell our kids the school year will be over before they know it. 😉 And you have great support (thank you so much raster for your post — I really appreciate it) here.

Hang in there. I know this isn’t easy, and we live in a culture that makes it even more difficult.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Here’s a way to look at poison food: it costs like $1.50 to get a soda with 20g+ of sugar in it (made with gmo corn and a bunch of crap). For the same $1.50 you could maybe get an apple (15g of sugar) or like 4 carrots. So basically, eating sugar is cheaper and you get more energy. Its subsidized by the government because its poison that makes everyone unhealthy, obese, etc. Poison is cheap, but healthy food is not.

I would not plan on a one month timeline to beat candida; you likely will notice an improvement in symptoms but its going to take a very long time to reverse years of improper diet, constipation, nutrition, damaged organs, etc. The most important thing you need to beat candida is time, and if you didn’t give it proper time the first time around, then you should give it plenty time the second time around.

As far as eating good tasting foods…its all about moderation. Eventually you can get away with eating these things maybe once a week or so, but don’t plan on going back to the diet that got you here in the first place. If you don’t notice bad candida symptoms from eating these foods, your body will break down in other ways potentially. For instance, sugar, grains, and junk foods can deplete your neurological system and when combined with spinal fluid buildup, you could essentially get seizures from eating poorly. This is what happened to me when I cheated…the candida didn’t come back too much but I had seizures that I didn’t have before.

-raster

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

raster wrote:

I do have a great alternative to coffee; its called chamomile tea! Chamomile tea makes you sleepy if you steep it less than 8 minutes…but if you steep it longer than 8 minutes, it gives you energy. Its also antifungal, heals hemmorhoids, and aids in bowel movements. I drink 2 cups in the morning and it wakes me up (but not too much).

I read a lot of what you post & take it on board, but when i’ve tried this its done nothing but made me feel more lethargic. I find ginseng & acetyl l carnitine the best things for energy for me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Constant Sufferers with Postivie Ending? Help!’ is closed to new replies.