Connection between Diabetes and Candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Connection between Diabetes and Candida

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

While trying to piece together the enigma towards a forward path for myself, I just came across something very interestingly disturbing. There is a proven direct connection between hyperglycemia/diabetes and Candida; which makes sense. Thus the diet protocol. The symptom crossover is startlingly similar to Candida overgrowth symptoms and even some of the “die-off” effects.

Perhaps I’m winding down a needless rabbit hole, however I have tested positive for hyperglycemia on occasion along my journey which I have attributed to a spike of sugar laden food sources.

However, if one is unknowingly diabetic and insulin will get blood sugar properly regulated, perhaps insulin may be a key to solving their Candida as well. A which came first, scenario like leaky gut/candida. This may or may HOPEFULLY NOT play a role in anyone else or, my journey to seek a better state of health.

Wondering if anyone here has much experience on this topic?

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

Candida and Diabetes

Researchers at UCSD discovered that protease enzymes can cause diabetes, hypertension, and immune system suppression (3 common symptoms of candida infections).

Common symptoms associated with candida infections include hypoglycemia and insulin resistance. These often occur together in many people. Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and insulin resistance is high blood sugar. Left alone long enough in the body, they can develop into diabetes. So what’s the connection with candida?

To discover this, we need to know more about how candida functions in the body. Candida has an amazing ability to adapt to the various environments found in the body’s many organs and tissues. When sugar is absent, it switches to burning fat as it’s main fuel source. So much for all of the candida diets that heavily restrict sugar. More about that in another post. Candida can thrive on sugar however and uses whatever is at hand, as well as creating conditions that serve it’s ability to continue to grow and spread.

The main mechanism by which candida causes tissue destruction in the human body is via a group of protease enzymes called Secteted Aspartyl Proteases (SAPs). Protease enzymes are responsible for breaking down protein and protein structures. SAPs are also considered to be candida’s main mechanism of virulence or pathogenicity – how it spreads in the body and causes damage.
    Researchers at UCSD discovered that protease enzymes can lead to diabetes, hypertension, and immune system suppression (3 common symptoms of candida infections). They create diabetes by destroying the receptors on cells that insulin binds to. Insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas gland. It works like a key in that it attaches to a receptor site on cells, which then opens gates in the cell wall that allow sugar to enter the cell and be used as a fuel. Without insulin or the receptors, sugar stays in the blood stream and continues to build up, leading to problems in regulating blood sugar.

Through SAPs, candida can destroy the protein-based receptors on the cell walls, leading to higher levels of sugar circulating in the body. These same SAP enzymes can destroy attachment sites on white blood cells that enable the ability of white blood cells to leave the blood stream and enter tissues where an infection is taking place. The mechanism of how they create hypertension is still not clear.

Doggiemama
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

I had my blood tested before i started the diet and i did not show any high sugar levels..so no connection on that one..but i can very well see how it would make sense sine everything we stop eating on the diet creates sugar or contains it. i can see a similarity in the diets.

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I’ve seen other studies that show people suffering with candida have poor glycaemic control. Hypothyroidism is one potential factor, and also seems to be a common issue in candida overgrowth. Like you say, there’s definitely a chicken and egg scenario here, but doing what you can to treat any existing problems in concurrence with the protocol isn’t a bad idea.

You wouldn’t want to use insulin unless you were diabetic. You’re already eating a low-GI diet, which controls blood sugar spikes. Resistance exercise can also improve insulin sensitivity by depleting muscles of glycogen. This makes them eager to take in available glucose, which helps to lower blood sugar when you eat carbs. I’d also avoid ketosis if you do exercise or have any hormone imbalances, especially thyroid issues.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Dr. Mcoomb’s has mentioned the connection between candida and diabetes and other disease over and over again:

http://www.candidaplan.com/new/media_center/index.php

-raster

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Connection between Diabetes and Candida’ is closed to new replies.