Confused and frustrated….

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Confused and frustrated….

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hope 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

CTMike
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 5

Hello everyone,
    Warning!!!!
    This is a long post. Sorry, but this story is convoluted and complicated….
    I’m at a point in working to get over Candida where things are particularly confusing. Completely different messages from my doctors…
    I finally got an appointment with my gastroenterologist. He had treated me for something completely different in 2009, so this was my first dealing with him about the Candida.
    Up until that appointment, I saw my holistic chiropractor, who diagnosed the candida overgrowth at a severe level. He uses little vials of strains of candida in various strengths. This was back in the fall and again this March. Hard to explain how he does this. I was on a variation of the diet back in the fall and brought down the candida, but when I was tested and it was “out of my system,” I ate normally and it came right back. So I have been on the strict candida diet this spring.
    I saw my regular doctor in April, who just accepted the diagnosis, no testing, (which was frustrating!), and put me on ketoconozol, (spelled wrong…)an strong anti fungal drug, for 10 days. Didn’t help.
    And in June I saw both the gastro doctor and had another visit with my chiropractor.
    The gastro doctor has been frustrating. At the appointment, he said everyone has candida in their bodies and that chiropractors all diagnose candida for any problem. He felt that the only people who get a candida overgrowth are those with diabetes, compromised immune systems or cancer patients. He dismissed the chiropractor’s diagnosis totally and told me it was highly unlikely I would have any candida overgrowth and should eat normally.
    I told him I really wanted some testing. So he tested blood and stool and found I had no problem with wheat, my blood sugar is normal, no parasites or bacteria problems, normal thyroid activity. He feels that if I’m feeling better, fine, but if I feel sick he will do a MRI, and some other tests to see what the problem is. Again he does not accept that I could have a candida overgrowth. He was very concerned about the weight loss. (30 pounds or more in about 6 weeks), which he saw as unexplained! Hey, I completely changed my eating habits and was on the candida diet! I have since stayed a one weight now for over a month so my weight has stabilized.
    I had the results of the tests faxed to my chiropractor and he helped me understand them a bit more. He also did his candida vials test and found I had brought my level even farther down that a recent test a couple of weeks again. He used the term “negligible” to describe the level of candida overgrowth. He has had me introduce more foods. Basically more grains and some higher carbohydrate vegetables as well as fresh ground peanut butter from the health food store in small amounts.
    I plan to stay on the candida based diet for a much longer time having had the experience of the infection coming right back if you eat as one ate in the past, too soon. I’m figuring December or beyond, just to be safe.
    I still need to go over the gastro doctor’s test results with my regular doctor, (which I have little hope will be helpful), and then have everything faxed to my cousin, a general practitioner doctor in VT, who is traditional but doesn’t rule out holistic and other types of doctors.
    My friends and loved ones have been supportive, and of course concerned and confused, especially by the sudden weight loss, tireness, symptoms…. Some now wonder if I haven’t had a candida overgrowth at all and have been going through the diet and all for no reason. But if not candida, then what is this?
    Thanks for sticking with me this far. Right now, I’m feeling so confused and frustrated. I should be happy that my chiropractor’s tests for candida overgrowth confirm I’m “better,” (even accepting the truth of his testing methods in the first place.) Am I really better, or is there something still undiagnosed and dire looming?
    All these mixed messages and feeling like I don’t have all that many more answers. I wonder if getting the MRI and more complicated testing should be the next step. But the chiropractor tests showed candida overgrowth and now, a vast improvement in the infection. Hopefully I am truly getting better. In many ways I do feel much better, but in some ways no….
    Thanks for sticking with this very long post. I don’t know what I want to hear from you all, just wanted to share my experience, the confusion and the frustration, with those who might understand, maybe have some insight.
    Best wishes to you all.
    Peace, Mike

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hi, Mike.

“out of my system, I ate normally and it came right back.”

This happens often with Candida sufferers, in fact, I think with most. It’s exactly what happened with me. I’m of the belief that it takes much longer than any of us suspect to be rid of the infestation. I’m clear of all symptoms at this point, and have been for quite a while, but I do not plan on ever going back to eating “normally” again. I won’t take that chance.

“The gastro doctor has been frustrating. At the appointment, he said everyone has candida in their bodies and that chiropractors all diagnose candida for any problem.”

It’s true that everyone has a certain amount of Candida in our system as it’s necessary for good health; however, a Candida infestation which turns fungal is also very possible.

“He felt that the only people who get a candida overgrowth are those with diabetes, compromised immune systems or cancer patients.”

What can I say, he’s just another MD Idiot, and there are lots of those around.

“I plan to stay on the candida based diet for a much longer time having had the experience of the infection coming right back if you eat as one ate in the past, too soon. I’m figuring December or beyond, just to be safe.”

I’ve been on the diet for eight months, with no immediate plans for a change. My way of coping is focusing on one day at a time, that and being grateful that I no longer have any Candida symptoms at all thanks to the diet, antifungals, and heavy doses of probiotics.

“But if not candida, then what is this? … Am I really better, or is there something still undiagnosed and dire looming?”

What are your current symptoms?

“Hopefully I am truly getting better. In many ways I do feel much better, but in some ways no….”

In what ways do you ‘not’ feel better?

Thanks for posting.
    Able

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

I’m so sorry it’s been confusing. It does seem, though, that if both practioners said your candida issues were “neglible” and if your tests are returning normal, that’s surely a good sign that something is working well for you 🙂

I would echo Able’s last questions – what are your symmptoms now? What’s troubling you that you feel may still be candida related?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Confused and frustrated….’ is closed to new replies.