Confused about products I've seen recommended here

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Confused about products I've seen recommended here

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mnight 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mnight
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hi, new to the forum, diagnosed a few days ago with oral thrush. Super fun. In looking up natural remedies, I’ve seen a few products mentioned as cures that actually contain yeast in the ingredients; Threelac and S. Boulardii among them. Not being very informed about different kinds of yeast, I don’t know if these products can cause more harm than good, or if different kinds of yeast exist in supplement form, etc.

Any insight into why products taken for yeast overgrowth should contain yeast as an ingredient? Or are most products snake oil?

mnight

Further reading on S Boulardii has me even more confused. I’ve now read of several people here who have (or at least said that they think they have) candida and have successfully treated it with S Boulardii. But it contains a potent amount of yeast and Wikipedia says this about it:

“Saccharomyces fungemia can occur in immunocomprised patients, especially those with certain digestive disorders, or patients with a central venous catheter. Administration of an antimycotic (antifungal) usually leads to patient recovery from this systemic infection. Highly concentrated yeast, marketed as probiotic supplements for the treatment of Clostridium difficile colitis, can possibly cause fungemia in critically ill patients.”

At this point, I’m highly suspicious that individuals who used products with yeast and felt better have anything resembling candida overgrowth. There appears to be a sub-culture devoted to candida treatments, but whether the members (or visitors) of this subculture have much knowledge about it looks questionable.

Can anyone here tell me why a product with yeast can treat yeast overgrowth?

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

Not all yeast is the same. Yeast overgrowth generally refers to overgrowth of Candida Albicans, as it’s the usual culprit. While Saccharomyces Boulardii is a yeast, it is a beneficial yeast that will actually kill C. Albicans and provide other benefits to humans as well.

Regarding your quote, immunocompromised patients are people with seriously impaired immune systems, like chemo patients or patients with AIDS. The people in this forum do not fit into this category.

Cheers,
    CS

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Candida lives on other things such as molds, sugar, starches, etc. and doesn’t necessarily feed on yeast…I think thats where you are confused.

The only reason I would be concerned about yeast is if I was allergic to it.

-raster

mnight

Thank you, both.

It’s been a bit of a steep learning curve in a short amount of time. Can you point me to references on treating Candida with S Boulardii and other yeasts?

My initial (and habitual) skepticism is due to the plethora of people willing to prey on those desperate to find relief from their debilitating ailments. It’s difficult enough to wade through valid information, let alone separate valid from invalid.

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

mnight;51374 wrote: Thank you, both.

It’s been a bit of a steep learning curve in a short amount of time. Can you point me to references on treating Candida with S Boulardii and other yeasts?

My initial (and habitual) skepticism is due to the plethora of people willing to prey on those desperate to find relief from their debilitating ailments. It’s difficult enough to wade through valid information, let alone separate valid from invalid.

Here’s a couple:

Capric Acid Secreted by S. boulardii Inhibits C. albicans Filamentous Growth, Adhesion and Biofilm Formation

Saccharomyces boulardii decreases inflammation and intestinal colonization by Candida albicans in a mouse model of chemically-induced colitis.

CS

mnight

Thank you! Coconut oil has capric acid, too….interesting.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Confused about products I've seen recommended here’ is closed to new replies.