Confused about candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Confused about candida

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  cadencotard 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

cadencotard
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 9

Hello everybody,

I’m a 25 year old man feeling very confused about this whole candida thing. I know you guys probably receive a lot of messages like this one, so I apologize in advance if I sound too aggressive, and I thank you for taking the time to read my post.
    I have had digestive problems since I was born. As a baby I would puke my guts out all the time until I reached the age of 1 and my parents put me on a diet and refused the operation doctors had suggested. Apparently it resolved my problems and I was able to continue to eat as a normal person (I don’t recall having a lot of digestive problems growing up, except a couple food poisoning events here and there). We were very poor and could not afford to buy candy or anything like that, also I wasn’t allowed to drink soda and rarely ate cake or desserts apart from yogurt with a little bit of sugar.
    Anyway, at the age of 12 I became addicted to candy. I would even eat candy at breakfast time, until the age of 16 when I started having indigestions almost every day. I stopped my bad candy habits by the age of 16 (I recall having one bit of bad food poisoning from raw beef as well as catching the gastroenteritis virus at age 17). Anyway, since then I have restricted my use of sugar as much as possible, alcohol and other things like that (I’ve never smoked, except marijuana from age 12 to 14).
    The first time I sought medical attention was at age 18. I’d just moved to Vermont and associated my symptoms to allergies. I would feel very weak, my arms were shaking and I had nausea after eating. My grandma told me to drink eggnog, which I did, but it made it worse. My doctor suggested lactose intolerance as a probable cause (I did not have health insurance so I didn’t think it was necessary to actually test for lactose intolerance). Since then I have strictly restricted my diet to non-lactose foods (with the exception of cheese, sometimes) which has been very frustrating for me as I am an ice-cream and milkshake lover (haven’t had neither in almost 10 years now).
    I became skeptical about my own lactose intolerance because sometimes I would have symptoms after eating non-lactose cream, and more recently even after eating totally vegan foods.
    I have never been able to link any food to any of my symptoms, except for very clear reaction (I cannot digest cocoa – chocolate, philly, cream, ricotta, coffee, alcohol, cakes – even vegan cakes, and anything that’s deep fried). I started believing I might have IBS even though I do not have cramps (or rarely), but I do have nausea after eating, the need to poop as I’m eating – and feeling relieved when I have defecated, I have gas almost constantly, diarrhea and constipation now and then). The symptoms have worsened in the past couple of months where I would have nausea every time I ate (no vomiting though) so I tried different diets. I first started a vegan diet (tofu, meat substitutes, etc) with digestive enzymes and probiotics which did not help. I am now on a sugar and dairy free diet (close to the anti-candida diet) and I feel extremely weak and have almost constant sugar craving, even after eating.

I do believe that I might have a candida problem, since I ate way too much sugar when I was a teenager, but I’m really scared of doing the diet for nothing, because it would mean stop eating what I pretty much eat all the time: bread (bagels, pita bread, etc), pasta, spaghetti sauce, kombucha, fruits – I eat fruits all the time, it’s my favorite thing in the world, tofu and other soy products, non-lactose cheese and smoked salmon). Not only do you have to have the will to restrict yourself to the anti-candida diet, but you also have to have the will to cook vegetables twice a day – which is the worst part. I don’t have time to cook lunch so I usually eat a bagel with turkey, avocado, lettuce and tomato and I would cook pasta and tomato sauce with vegetables for dinner, and muesli with plenty of fruits and rice milk for breakfast. My diet has been very strict for many years now and I just don’t have the energy to restrict it even more; but my symptoms have really gotten a big problem in my life.

I’m very sorry for the length of this message. I wanted to know if people here experienced the same kind of symptoms as me, and how they were able to cope with the diet. So far I have not eaten real processed sugar in over 4 days (I have had rice sirup with my muesli as well as banana and blueberries for breakfast though) and as I stated earlier I have been feeling very weak and even more fatigued that I would usually feel (I did hear about the die off thing, but I’m wondering if that’s really what I’ve been suffering from). The reason why I feel I might have a candida problem is that the only way to describe what I’ve been feeling these past 4 days is as if there were another living thing in my stomach that was hungry for sweets and what not; even after eating I feel terribly hungry even though I know I am not hungry at all. In other words, I experience all the symptoms of hunger except for the actual hunger feeling. I have pooped only once in 7 days, and even though I do feel hungry in the morning I don’t feel like eating what I’m eating (right now, broccoli with avocado, quinoa, grilled turkey and zucchini – 100% german certified organic, I live in Berlin at the moment). Also, I have about 4 or 5 flights coming up in the following weeks, what do you guys eat when you’re traveling?).

Again, thank you all for reading. I admire your ability to follow this diet, and I hope I didn’t sound too annoying.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Every word you’ve written points to a Candida albicans infestation.

But you’ve also made it clear that you can’t be bothered with a stricter diet and protocol.
    So really there’s not a lot, if anything, that anyone here can do for you. There’s no use in telling you what you can eat while traveling if you’re not going to adhere to the diet and protocol the rest of the time. Traveling by plane on business trips, by the way, is something I did throughout my treatment, and I’ve been Candida-symptom free for over two years. Nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough.

You’ve listed so many foods that are feeding and sustaining the Candida that I’m not even going to bother to name them here. And as long as you are doing this, there is no treatment on the planet that’s going to lessen your problems to a significant degree.

If you should change your mind about what you are capable of, let us know and we will help you with the diet and treatment as much as possible.

Sean

cadencotard

Able900;47414 wrote:
    Every word you’ve written points to a Candida albicans infestation.

But you’ve also made it clear that you can’t be bothered with a stricter diet and protocol.
    So really there’s not a lot, if anything, that anyone here can do for you. There’s no use in telling you what you can eat while traveling if you’re not going to adhere to the diet and protocol the rest of the time. Traveling by plane on business trips, by the way, is something I did throughout my treatment, and I’ve been Candida-symptom free for over two years. Nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough.

You’ve listed so many foods that are feeding and sustaining the Candida that I’m not even going to bother to name them here. And as long as you are doing this, there is no treatment on the planet that’s going to lessen your problems to a significant degree.

If you should change your mind about what you are capable of, let us know and we will help you with the diet and treatment as much as possible.

Sean

Hello Sean, thank you for taking the time to answer me.
    I forgot to mention that one of my biggest fears about the anti-candida diet is that I have a weight problem: I’m too skinny. I have been trying to gain weight the past few months, which may explain why my symptoms have worsened (been forcing myself to eat peanut butter almost every day as well as eating soy yogurt with muesli before going to bed as well as one avocado per day). I feel like I’ve already lost all the weight I’ve gained.

I’m not saying it should be simple; I’m saying that it would devastate me if the diet didn’t work on me. I am trying to follow the diet right now, I ate what I’ve listed below for breakfast (everything I listed is part of the diet, right?)
    What did you eat whilst on the plane? I really can’t think of anything I could eat on the menu (I did ask for a vegan meal on each flight, but it’s probably going to contain pasta and what not).
    I’m really sorry if I sounded as if I weren’t willing to follow the diet, I’m just very scared.

Also, I’ve been having bad headaches since I stopped eating/drinking sugar (I used to drink sweet kombucha every day). I’m taking Probiotics twice a day now ( Lyophilisat Lactobacillus Rest-Kulturmedium, Bifidobacterium). I just realized that those pills contain lactose and sucrose, is that a problem?

Thank you again,
    N.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Did you actually read all of my post? I wrote, “If you should change your mind about what you are capable of, let us know and we will help you with the diet and treatment as much as possible.”
    I can answer individual questions for you all day long, but until you decide to follow a proper diet and protocol nothing is going to work for you. You may lose some weight in the beginning of the diet, but eventually you’ll level off and stop losing the weight. Read this post to understand exactly why you’ve lost weight and why it’s difficult for you to gain it back. Weight Loss – how can I stop it?

You might also benefit from reading the testimonies to the diet and protocol. Testimonies to the Diet and Protocol

As far as traveling while on a Candida diet is concerned, especially in the first month or so, people normally take most of their food with them when they travel, or else they stick with a ‘safe’ salad and boiled eggs. There’s no sense in me naming all the foods that are available to take with you on a plane in this post since they’re all listed on the diet.

The headaches you spoke of are probably due to die-off which is covered in the protocol.

If you had the diet and protocol, you would have your answers in your hands. So why don’t you just ask for the diet plan and have a look at what it’s going to take for you to eventually stop all of the symptoms?

Sean

cadencotard

Able900;47422 wrote: Did you actually read all of my post? I wrote, “If you should change your mind about what you are capable of, let us know and we will help you with the diet and treatment as much as possible.”
    I can answer individual questions for you all day long, but until you decide to follow a proper diet and protocol nothing is going to work for you. You may lose some weight in the beginning of the diet, but eventually you’ll level off and stop losing the weight. Read this post to understand exactly why you’ve lost weight and why it’s difficult for you to gain it back. Weight Loss – how can I stop it?

You might also benefit from reading the testimonies to the diet and protocol. Testimonies to the Diet and Protocol

As far as traveling while on a Candida diet is concerned, especially in the first month or so, people normally take most of their food with them when they travel, or else they stick with a ‘safe’ salad and boiled eggs. There’s no sense in me naming all the foods that are available to take with you on a plane in this post since they’re all listed on the diet.

The headaches you spoke of are probably due to die-off which is covered in the protocol.

If you had the diet and protocol, you would have your answers in your hands. So why don’t you just ask for the diet plan and have a look at what it’s going to take for you to eventually stop all of the symptoms?

Sean

Hey.

No need to be rude! But thanks for your input. As I said earlier, I am kind of following the diet as of right now, but I am just not sure how I’m going to be able to stay on that diet for a long period of time, not knowing what my initial problem really is. What confuses me is that I have been able to eat foods like burgers with bacon, cheese, ketchup and homemade sweet potato fries without having any symptom at all. And then two weeks ago I ate scrambled eggs with bacon and bread and felt sick. I’ve never been able to link my symptoms to any particular food (I think I mentioned that earlier too).
    I’m going on a long trip starting Tuesday and I really don’t know how this would work out as I’ll be staying at different hotels and will spend part of those trips with my girlfriend’s family. I’ve read posts from business men and women who managed to keep food in their hotel’s fridge, which would be fine if I were traveling on my own.
    So here’s what I’m planning to do: follow the diet as much as I can (even though I’m still not sure what this diet really is, cause I’ve seen completely contradicting information on the matter, like for toasted bagels for example, or tofu), but what I’ll try to do is strictly not eat any processed sugar/honey/maple sirup and limit my fruit consumption to a minimal as well as eating whole soba noodles instead of pasta, only eat pure oat meal without sugar in the morning, etc. My question is: would that help, until I can figure out a way to follow the diet more strictly this coming Fall? Also, a lot of those anti-candida recipes consist of eating eggs, but I have been trying to stay off eggs because I felt symptoms the last three times I’ve had eggs (I used to eat eggs every day without any symptom)
    Again if I’d been officially diagnosed by a doctor this would feel much easier.

Thank you for your time, please understand my skepticism.

N.

cadencotard

cadencotard;47432 wrote:

Did you actually read all of my post? I wrote, “If you should change your mind about what you are capable of, let us know and we will help you with the diet and treatment as much as possible.”

Sean

Hey.

No need to be rude! But thanks for your input. As I said earlier, I am kind of following the diet as of right now, but I am just not sure how I’m going to be able to stay on that diet for a long period of time, not knowing what my initial problem really is. What confuses me is that I have been able to eat foods like burgers with bacon, cheese, ketchup and homemade sweet potato fries without having any symptom at all. And then two weeks ago I ate scrambled eggs with bacon and bread and felt sick. I’ve never been able to link my symptoms to any particular food (I think I mentioned that earlier too).
    I’m going on a long trip starting Tuesday and I really don’t know how this would work out as I’ll be staying at different hotels and will spend part of those trips with my girlfriend’s family. I’ve read posts from business men and women who managed to keep food in their hotel’s fridge, which would be fine if I were traveling on my own.
    So here’s what I’m planning to do: follow the diet as much as I can (even though I’m still not sure what this diet really is, cause I’ve seen completely contradicting information on the matter, like for toasted bagels for example, or tofu), but what I’ll try to do is strictly not eat any processed sugar/honey/maple sirup and limit my fruit consumption to a minimal as well as eating whole soba noodles instead of pasta, only eat pure oat meal without sugar in the morning, etc. My question is: would that help, until I can figure out a way to follow the diet more strictly this coming Fall? Also, a lot of those anti-candida recipes consist of eating eggs, but I have been trying to stay off eggs because I felt symptoms the last three times I’ve had eggs (I used to eat eggs every day without any symptom)
    Again if I’d been officially diagnosed by a doctor this would feel much easier.

Thank you for your time, please understand my skepticism.

N.

Hello again.

I just wanted to update my note. I’m sorry if I thought you were being rude. But I have been following the diet, or at least I think I am because I have seen so many contradictory information about this that I feel completely lost (one says you can have bananas, the other says you can have blueberries, the other says you can have almonds, the other says you cannot, someone said you can eat buckwheat, but someone said no, same goes for rice cakes, etc). So I’m not really sure what I can and cannot eat, but I’m trying to follow the diet as much as I can. I did try to eat eggs for lunch and got nasty burps that lasted for about 2 hours then suddenly stopped and everything went back to normal (very strange).
    The reason why I sound so whiney is that food has already been a great source of distress for me. Since I got food poisoning + gastroenteritis as a teenager I have become completely food-phobic. Since then I have tried to avoid going to the restaurant, been trying to eat as healthy as possible (fruits and whole grains), completely quit alcohol, dairy products as well as many many other things that I stated earlier. Food was important to me back then but it’s not anymore, all I want to do is eat the right things. So this is why the diet scares me so much: it’s yet another thing I have to worry about every time I eat; which is already an obsession of mine (people call me crazy because I don’t eat cakes and things like that, for example). I have read many reviews from people who think the diet doesn’t work, made them very depressed, etc. So what I was looking for is good advice and things to watch out for (weight, etc). I wasn’t complaining about not eating sugar or anything, what I’m scared of is getting off things that are supposed to be good for me – to beat something I have no proof I actually suffer from. For example I was wondering if people started to be scared of not following the diet properly (for example now when I look at a fruit I fear it, and if I ate some I’m sure it’d make me feel bad just because I believe that it’s bad for me).

Thanks again for reading.

SueSullivan
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 108

It’s possible you need to get sicker before the sacrifices required to combat candida seem like a reasonable trade-off. I’d urge you to keep looking for success stories of people who are trying to fight candida. I have found more on this forum than in any other site. Search tumbler for the #candida tag and read about people who are struggling with it when they don’t follow a very strict diet. At some point, this may convince you of the need to take what seems like very drastic action.

As far as your travels, the best you are likely to achieve is to keep the candida from overgrowing too much and making you sicker while you are traveling. Try to eliminate all sugar and carbohydrates. Stick with eggs, chicken and vegetables whenever you have the opportunity. Get through the travel with as much energy and as few Candida symptoms as you can, then revisit the protocol and the diet when you return, and see if they seem more doable to you. There comes a point when the symptoms are worse than the cure and you will do anything to feel better. Including challenging your biggest psychological hurdles around food.

Good luck,
    Sue

cadencotard

SueSullivan;47477 wrote: One thing that may be confusing you, Caden, is that there is a very specific diet, very restrictive, that Able900 crafted with input from various other members of this forum who have conquered their infestations. This diet bears little relationship to the varying advice you have no doubt already found elsewhere on the internet. It’s not posted on the site because Able and the other people who volunteer their time answering questions on this site got sick of arguing over whether X food or Y food should be considered safe and added to the diet. He will email it via the forum’s message system to people who are interested.

Candida infestations are extremely complex, vary by individual and — in a sick cosmic twist — make almost everyone who is suffering from an infestation crave the very foods that are feeding the candida and degrading their digestive systems. So most people who come here do not want to hear what it takes to cure candida, myself included. I can only imagine that Able900 gets sick of hearing from new arrival after new arrival, “tell me how to fix this but don’t tell me I have to give up all the foods that you have discovered — through trial, error and extensive research — are necessary to give up if you want to be absolutely certain you will heal from this.”

He’s done the research. He has an explanation for every element of the protocol, diet included. I’ve searched the internet and there is no resource like this forum and its protocol and diet anywhere else. Every other site I’ve found is either selling a book on how to cure your candida or selling supplements which may be helpful and sometimes are detrimental. They’re all light to non-existent on research and scientifically-reasonable sounding explanations.

It’s possible you need to get sicker before the sacrifices required to combat candida seem like a reasonable trade-off. I’d urge you to keep looking for success stories of people who are trying to fight candida. I have found more on this forum than in any other site. Search tumbler for the #candida tag and read about people who are struggling with it when they don’t follow a very strict diet. At some point, this may convince you of the need to take what seems like very drastic action.

As far as your travels, the best you are likely to achieve is to keep the candida from overgrowing too much and making you sicker while you are traveling. Try to eliminate all sugar and carbohydrates. Stick with eggs, chicken and vegetables whenever you have the opportunity. Get through the travel with as much energy and as few Candida symptoms as you can, then revisit the protocol and the diet when you return, and see if they seem more doable to you. There comes a point when the symptoms are worse than the cure and you will do anything to feel better. Including challenging your biggest psychological hurdles around food.

Good luck,
    Sue

Hello Sue, and thank you for answering my message. I understand what you’re saying, and I bet there are a lot of people who are debating what food you should eat or what you shouldn’t eat (a debate that I believe is justifiable). But yes, it is quite ironic that you should prevent yourself from eating foods that your body itself is pushing you to eat (fruit, bread, etc).
    I never asked anybody to tell me how to fix my problem though, I just wanted to know more about it and see if anybody was experiencing the same difficulties as I have. However I’d love to hear about Able900’s diet, though I cannot promise I will follow it, or at least not in this right second.
    In fact I have been looking for success stories, as well as semi-success stories (which usually felt like the most honest articles about candida I have read in a long time) and yes, it does help a bit. I am myself trying to follow the diet but again, I don’t even know if I’m doing it properly. For instance I ate buckwheat for dinner. I had unsweetened organic oat meal last night (I’ve read all kinds of things about oat meal, really not sure who to believe) as well as millet + zucchini + olive, lots of garlic & ginger as well as turkey for dinner (I also ate half a banana but that’s only because I felt like I was going to pass out). I don’t really mind about not eating the food I usually like, I worry more about not getting the nutritions that I need (and thus maybe lose too much weight). I did feel terrible the first 2 days, but I am now feeling better but very weak (light fruit craving at night).

I really need good advices for traveling though, and I would really appreciate if you, or anybody else could give me tips because my situation is a bit complicated; as I’ve stated before I’m terrified of getting food poisoning so I don’t eat anything that’s been out of the fridge for more than a couple hours. That makes traveling always very complicated. I am going on a 6 hour train ride (ICE german train) on Tuesday and I bet the food they’ll serve me won’t fit the anti-candida diet charts, so I’ve been trying to find a more suitable alternative. The best I could come up with so far is rice/quinoa cakes with organic cooked turkey fillet (that I would buy the very same day so it stays hermetically closed and I would keep it in a Stay Fresh bag to keep it cool) along with eggplant caviar (with garlic, ginger and a bit of lemon maybe?) — everything organic. I have read very conflicting articles about rice cakes so I really don’t know whether I’m doing it right, which is the most frustrating part. (Also, me being afraid of food poisoning means that I have been trying to stay off meat and eggs for about 2 years now – especially meat – so it’s a bit hard for me to go back to eating meat every day, but I guess I just have to do it).

It’s very good to hear that I will not compromise the whole thing by not following the diet strictly. I’ll definitely stay off all sugar and will eat as less carbohydrates as possible (for example I know that when I’ll be in New York with my girlfriend’s family in 2 weeks I know that I’ll be forced to eat at restaurants, and it’s going to be very complicated to stay off toasted bagels and unsweetened muesli with blueberries), in fact I am going to see if Virgin Atlantic offers a low-carbohydrate meal right this second.

Thank you again for your post, I honestly appreciate it!

cadencotard

Hello,

Quick update. I know my story isn’t very interesting but I feel the need to write down somewhere what I’m doing.

I have been following the diet since my first post, with a few cheats here and there. I’m still not sure if I’m really on the diet cause I still don’t know what I can and cannot eat for sure, but at least I’m trying.
    I’ve lost 8 pounds in just 2 weeks. I am now way too skinny, so I’m trying to eat more fat which is what I’ve always hated doing cause it would make me sick every time…

Here’s what a regular day looks like for me:

Morning:Organic Soy yogurt without any added sugar at all + organic coconut cream (no sugar) + Organic Rawnola (raw buckwheat, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, 2 or 3 goji berries, 2 dried gooseberries, 2 almonds, 2 pumpkin seed) without any added sugar.
    These supplements: (everything organic) Grapefruit Seed Extract, Whole Leaf Aloe Vera juice, Echinacea Drops, Oregano Oil, Garlic + Viscum Album + Hawthorn + Mistletoe, Artichoke Juice, 1000 mg Vitamin C, Non-organic Probiotics (25 billions per day – Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Lactis Bi-07 + 50% vitamin D) as well as Digest Enzymes + ginger, licorice and fennel pills for lunch and dinner)
    Lunch: (85% organic) Chicken (cooked with coconut oil) guacamole with cilantro, garlic, paprika pepper and a little bit of lime with eggplant/cherry tomato/yellow pepper cooked in the oven + lettuce + 2 small raw carrots
    Dinner: 90% organic) Buckwheat and oat milk crêpes with zucchini and organic prosciuto (which contains nothing more than pork meat and salt; no preservatives no nothing – very expensive though), broccoli chips made with coconut oil (super greasy, but I managed to digest it somehow) and olives w/ olive oil and garlic + lettuce and yellow pepper.

I know I may be eating too much buckwheat but I really cannot afford losing any more weight than I already have.

The cheats:

– A few days ago I ate 8 blueberries and one half of a banana before a soccer game – I was too scared of fainting on the field. I also ate 4 oat biscuits after the game (I had terrible nausea and diarrhea 2 hours later, which stopped after taking Domperidone but I’m still not sure what caused it).
    – I ate two raisins yesterday
    – I was at the restaurant (family ‘reunion’) and was served a bunch of food I couldn’t eat. I did eat foie gras – which I have no clue whether I can or cannot eat, as well as half a loaf of bread, 3 blueberries (out of the 20 I was served) and that’s it.
    – When I spent the 3 days away from home, I ate organic Chorizo one day, which contained a little bit of Dextrose). I ate Hummus the rest of the ‘business trip’ with broccoli, asparagus and 100% buckwheat crackers while drinking homemade fresh ginger infusion with cucumber and lime.
    I think that’s it. I’m leaving for NYC in just 5 days and I’ll have no choice but to cheat on a regular basis. I’m wondering whether it is best to just stop the supplements or not, since you’re going to feed the Candida anyway? As of right now I’m planning on staying on the supplement diet, unless I start having bad symptoms. I will try to always choose the meal that suits the diet best (I’ve asked for a Gluten and Lactose free meal on the plane, for example). I’ll take the Soba noodles when I’m in a Japanese restaurant, and I’ll ask for extra-toasted bagel if I ever eat one.

Thank you for reading,
    Caden.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

You are consuming food items not on the diet such as soy, seeds, oat milk, banana, etc. Able developed a strict forum diet that eliminates these items, if you are interested send him an email.

-raster

cadencotard

raster;48023 wrote: You are consuming food items not on the diet such as soy, seeds, oat milk, banana, etc. Able developed a strict forum diet that eliminates these items, if you are interested send him an email.

-raster

Hello Raster,
    Thank you for your message.

I do not consume banana, I only ate half of one before a soccer game. As for soy, I only have soy yogurt because I don’t want to get regular yogurt that contains lactose. Today I had lactose free cow milk yogurt but it has more carbs than the soy yogurt I usually eat.
    As for seeds, I have never seen anyone say you shouldn’t have them? At least not the ones I eat (flaxseeds, etc).
    And finally, the oat milk was the only milk I could find that did not contain any lactose, sugar or gluten (except for soy milk, but I read that soy milk was worse than soy yogurt). I have bought a new kind of almond milk that I found at another store which doesn’t contain any sugar nor gluten nor lactose (and is very low in carbs) but I haven’t tried it.
    I don’t know if that changes anything but I have never actually drunk the oat milk; only use it in my buckwheat crêpes recipe.

Thank you,
    C.

bloom
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 21

I haven’t followed your story through in it’s entirety but I get the understanding and I sympathise with you, it can be very hard initially.

It’s not beyond the realms of possibly to stick to the regime whilst working away if you do a little research beforehand, that said I was almost always on my own when away which made it a little easier.

I personally wasn’t conformable asking too many questions in restaurants about the the food I was ordering when I was away as it can make you look a little odd if you go too far. I do a bit of cooking too and I can understand why a chef would become a little defensive if you ask too many questions. A few of the usual allergy questions they might usually expect were not so bad like dairy/gluten and to some extent sugar so all I did was to choose a place with a good reputation and I used my own judgement when deciding to order. I’m quite into cooking so I have a rough idea as to what goes into what and chose accordingly.

If you are traveling alone there is always the option of stopping to get your own food from a good shop/deli, perhaps try searching for health food shops and/or veggie restaurants before you go.

I think the important thing for you at this stage is that you have recognised that there is a problem and that you would like to do something about it and if you can’t adhere entirely at this stage, work towards it slowly and be pleased knowing that doing what you have done so far is much better than doing nothing at all. It will just take you longer to get to where you really want to be.

All the best and take it easy.

Jojilla
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 51

I travel a lot for work, Caden, and make it my business to find Whole Foods or a food co-op wherever I go. Also, farm to table restaurants because I can usually get local, organic roasted chicken or wild salmon and straight-forward vegetables.

If you do not want to drink a lactose product, what about purchasing the coconut mile that is recommended on this diet? It seems to be EVERYWHERE.

When traveling and also when attending food events at home, I often rely upon guacamole. When traveling, I buy it pre-made at Whole Foods, and at home I make it myself. It would be great to have with your buckwheat crackers and/or to use as a salad dressing.

Just a few thoughts. I’ve only been at this for a few months, but feel I am getting the hang of it for travel. I’ve also quit staying in hotels and only stay in VRBO’s so I can have a refrigerator and kitchen.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

caden,

You should email able for the strict diet because then we won’t have to correct/consult your food choices all of the time…

-raster

cadencotard

Bloom:

Thanks a lot for your nice response.
    I do feel comfortable asking a bunch of questions to the waiter as long as I’m alone or with close friends. It’s a whole different deal when you’re at a table with 10 other people, even worse when you don’t know them much. But I am used to asking those types of questions since I’ve been avoiding lactose for almost 10 years now, so the “could you make this without cream” question comes up quite often. But this time it’s much harder because most restaurants simply don’t have anything on the menu that fits the Anti-Candida diet. I actually avoid going to the restaurant as much as possible because of my fear of food poisoning, but as stated before when traveling with other people it’s hard to force them to go to Whole Foods every time… So I’m definitely not going to have a choice but to eat things I am not allowed, even though I am planning on trying to get around unlisted foods as much as possible. As Jojilla mentioned, buckwheat crackers are a very good alternative to bread. I will try to find a store that sells them in NYC and eat that with eggs in the morning. So that’s one thing. If they decide to eat at a restaurant and I see that there’s a whole foods nearby, I will wait until they’re done and will go grab a anti candida salad really quick and eat it on the train, I suppose. But a bagel is going to end up in my stomach one way or another, cause that’ll probably be the safest cheat food I’ll be able to find.

As for acknowledging there’s a problem, that was done a long time ago. I have been suffering stomach problems for my entire life almost, but it only started to get worse as my diet improved (how ridiculous is that?), when I started cooking vegetables on a daily basis and getting lots of vitamin supplements (prior to that my diet consisted of lentil soup and Subway sandwiches – as I stated before I lived in the city with barely no money at all).

Jojilla:

The thing is that coconut milk has always been on my “can’t digest’ list. I have recently started to add coconut cream into my soy yogurt because of the anti-fungal properties of coco milk. It hasn’t triggered any bad effect (at least none that I can think of), but I’m not sure about drinking coconut milk. Breakfast is by far the most complicated meal of the day now (which used to be the simplest). I have never liked eating fatty, greasy foods in my life. Eating sweet muesli with fruits in the morning was not really something I used to do because of taste but because it was the only thing that did not leave me with a heavy stomach. Don’t get me wrong, steak and eggs has always been my favorite breakfast meal, but only once per week. Last week I ate eggs every single morning. It didn’t bother me at first but today I just feel gross from inside, like I have grease all over my body (and still losing weight! I weigh 134 pounds now, and I’m 6ft tall). Meat, olive and coconut oil every day is just disgusting. So that’s why I have been ‘cheating’ with soy yogurt and Rawnola. I almost bought lactose free milk today cause the store was out of soy yogurt but this voice in my head kept telling me “listen to the Anti-candida diet forum people”, so I didn’t buy anything (that’ll definitely make some grumpy mornings).

Guacamole has been my best friend for years now. I have been making guacamole almost once a week, maybe twice sometimes, so I’m definitely glad I am allowed to eat it. Also good thing Whole Foods’ pre-made guacamole isn’t as bad as most pre-made guacamole. I am definitely going to be eating a LOT of it while traveling (I’m guessing the one I’ll be eating in California will be even better) along with my dear buckwheat cracker friends.

I usually try to rent apartments when I travel but as stated earlier, I am traveling along with my girlfriend’s family so I don’t really have an option here (I’m acting as a tour guide, having lived in the city for several years – also they don’t speak English at all). So while it does make me happy to hear that you can manage the diet while traveling, this one is going to be tough. After that I am not planning on traveling for another 6 months so it’ll be easier for me to follow the diet and return to a normal diet by the end of the year (it’s hard to pass the winter without tangerines!).

Thanks a lot to all of you for your input, I really appreciate it.

C.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Confused about candida’ is closed to new replies.