Colloidal silver???

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Colloidal silver???

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SueSullivan 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

HeatherJ
    Topics: 24
    Replies: 34

So, friends and family have been on me for months to get “proper medical advice.” Evidently results aren’t enough to stop tongues from wagging. But, it is hard to take offense, as it all comes from a place of caring and concern-not judgement.

So, after a long summer break, the local naturopath is back. He’s book until Halloween…so, it will be a while. But, he did suggest that I take colloidal silver with my probiotic.

The internet is undecided on the merits of colloidal silver.

Any opinions??

Thanks!

SueSullivan
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 108

I think it depends on your tolerance for unproven alternative remedies. If you’re willing to try something simply because it has testimonials, and you have the money to spend on it, you could give it a try. I cannot imagine that colloidial silver would strike your family as “proper medical advice,” though.
    Personally, I wouldn’t try it and I’d be wary of a naturopath who prescribed it. I want my alternative practitioners to be evidence-based. I can’t find any hard evidence, not one study that it works whatsoever, and I’d rather put my time and money into supplements/protocols that have some science behind them.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/hi-ho-silver/

HeatherJ

Sue,

Whoa…I live in a mid-sized village in The Netherlands and I am well aware that opinions of competency are relative. Medical care here is a far cry from what it is in America. Finding competent care for the simplest of problems is a challenge; for this issue an even greater one.

He also suggested that I not bother with the coconut kefir…which I found troubling.

My appointment is on Halloween…just trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks for looking this up! That was super nice of you.

SueSullivan

I keep thinking about going back to my naturopath to see if I’m really on the right path with this treatment, or if it could be tweaked to be more precisely effective for me, but I haven’t yet, because I don’t want him telling me that I should drop this supplement or that food from my diet. I guess I don’t have faith that he will handle this better than the diet and protocol will.

I went to him originally because my medical doctor was ignoring my concerns and giving me patently crap advice. At least the naturopath listened to me and agreed that my symptoms were significant and related (this was back when I had adrenal exhaustion and various other endocrine disregulation.) I stopped going to him 2 years later because his supplements weren’t making an improvement in the latest iteration of dysfunction I was experiencing. (Interestingly, he indicated on my last visit that I was testing positive for some sort of pathogen, but didn’t mention candida and whatever he gave me did not improve my symptoms.) I eventually went to a more alternative medical doctor who ran a ton of tests and came up with the candida diagnosis via stool. Not that her advice was that much better — she advised me to eat paleo and take digestive enzymes and HCl tablet and Vit D. No talk of probiotics or antifungals, beyond a 3-day course of flucowhatzits.

I figure, at this point in my 3 1/2 year journey, I am learning to treat myself and not look to someone else for my answers with this protocol. I love how it focuses on listening to your body, going slow and heeding the feedback that you get physically, emotionally and energetically.

But I do understand feeling pressure from family. That’s why I don’t talk to mine much about what’s going on with me. (Well, my parents and sister and my in-laws. My husband is quite supportive.)

Good luck with whatever you decide!

HeatherJ

Thanks! Personally, I’m with you. I’ve asked regular doctors and been to doctors who practiced both naturopathic and conventional medicine together. I’ve given them my list of symptoms only to be treated with condescension. I have gone the conventional route with zero success and-and worsening symptoms. I guess I would be considered attractive-doctors thought I had problems with the changes that age brings…and I can’t help but try to seem fine, so I never “looked” ill. When I explain to people that I tried my luck with American doctors (we moved here 2 years ago) they just don’t get it.

Dutch people, from my experience, don’t trust their own authority. They have to have someone else validate everything…so, to friends and family, my measurable improvements are insignificant. Even my husband, who is now supportive, still needs to have everything verified. If I am sick from any die-off, he worries that I am doing the wrong thing. I want him to have peace of mind. And people can’t help but notice-I think bringing my own food to every gathering is the first clue. And I have lost so much weight, my eyes are brighter, my skin is clear…people ask.

So, if I go to this guy, and he says everything in on track, people will nod their heads, accept it and tell me that I was smart to get a “real opinion.”

I have zero intention of deviating much from what I am doing. BUT, not all supplements are available here that are recommended; Amazon won’t mail them directly and I don’t want to make friends mail me boxes of pills every few months. So, I go into this expecting a bit of alternative medicine mumbo jumbo-and maybe it isn’t all wrong. I am willing to learn something new…

So, I don’t know if I will look to this guy to do more for me than I am doing for myself, but I am certainly open-minded to the possibility that he might be a good resource.

And 3 1/3 years? Have you been on the diet that long? Sounds as if your naturopath was not helpful…that is too bad. It is difficult to find a candida “expert” who isn’t selling a book and/or a line of supplements. But congratulations on overcoming all of that and getting this far!

SueSullivan

It sounds like you’ve got a plan for being in control of your treatment and getting what you need from your naturopath and only that. Good for you!
    No, I haven’t been treating candida for 3 1/2 years — that’s just when my health started to go wonky. Got a virus I couldn’t kick, was exhausted for months, recovered, got physically active again, had a big adrenal crash, was exhausted for months again, started addressing digestive issues, got that on track, but then started developing symptoms, in retrospect, of a candida infestation last fall. My ND did well with the adrenal support and had good advice for improving digestion, but he didn’t catch the candida, and that’s when I gave up on that approach and went for the lab tests that IDed it.
    I started combating candida in late May with a prescription antifungal and some dietary changes and got on the strict diet in late July. Doing very well on it, as long as I don’t veer from it. Sometimes I feel so good I think I can start adding things back in but that hasn’t gone well so far. So patience is the word of the day, week, month and season.
    Good luck getting some useful supplements and reassurance for your extended family!
    Sue

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Colloidal silver???’ is closed to new replies.