College student fighting against the cafeteria

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions College student fighting against the cafeteria

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Collegestudent
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 5

I found out I had candida in the beginning of August and started limiting foods such as sugar and other sweetners (before I found out I had Candida I was allergic to wheat and dairy so I had already eliminated them). I have been in college since the end of August and the food in the cafeteria is always deep-fried and sugary. Everyone suggested I get off the food plan but I did not want to have to spend time preparing food for each meal so I thought I would just stick it out. I was careful at he beginning of the school year but recently I had been seeing the symptoms come back and realized I was not being careful at all. I became really sick last Monday and decided I needed to start the strict candida diet on here instead of just limiting foods. I found that while I was limiting foods I was eating a little bit of everything I wasn’t supposed to have and it built up. My candida spread to other parts of my body instead of just being contained in my intestines.

So now that I am on the strict diet I have found that I can only eat one meal out of the cafeteria this week and it’s the meal that gets switched up every week. After this week I don’t know what I am going to eat other than salad at the salad bar. I would just get out of the meal plan but it’s too late now because we are past midterms.

Any advice for some easy dorm foods to make out of the microwave for snacks or meals if I need to?

Also is it alright if I eat rice with seasoning on it containing gluten?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

This sounds like a tough situation. I would consider oatmeal or oat bran for breakfast, scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc. I once worked at the dorm cafeteria, so I am familiar with all of the junk they put in the foods.

Lunch, I would eat salads with chicken.

Dinner, I would eat meat and rice.

In general, I would get as pure as you can on a half-ass candida diet; maybe consider potatoes and fruit (things you body can digest more easily)

I would also talk to them about getting a refund if possible; explain that their food is unhealthy and everything there contains wheat, dairy, starch, sugar, and grain. Ask to speak to the school administrator if possible, because this is not working out for you. But, can you cook on your own? If not, you may just have to tough it out for now.

If possible, have someone make coconut bread and pumpkin bread for snacks.

You might just be unable to do the (full) candida diet until the term is over.

I know what you are facing and there is no easy way out of the dorm diet. Everything is junk and there are few healthy options; this is the essence of the american lifestyle/diet. The options are few at the cafeteria and the dorm food store place, this isn’t a good situation for a candida sufferer.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Eat as many salads as your money can buy, fill your plate with every green vegetable available, and it should include as many onions, cucumbers, broccoli and bell peppers as the plate will hold if they’re available. No dressing unless you want to use lemon juice. Since you’re not going to be wasting your money on and eating junk food, you can make double-sized salads. If you continue to eat your salads plain, eventually you’ll adjust to this and your body will begin to crave the taste of the raw vegetables instead of the salad dressing.

Quote by Raster: “I would consider oatmeal or oat bran for breakfast, scrambled eggs, yogurt..”

Reply: Don’t eat oatmeal, but oat bran is fine. Eat only organic non-sweetened Greek yogurt, not the junk they have in the cafeteria, if they even have it at all.

Quote by Raster: Lunch, I would eat salads with chicken.
    Dinner, I would eat meat and rice.”

Reply: Try to eat eggs or baked chicken as much as is possible in the cafeteria, and avoid red meat and pork as they will only make the Candida worse in the long run. And leave the rice out altogether, it’s a feast for the Candida.

Quote by Raster: “maybe consider potatoes and fruit, things your body can digest more easily”

Reply: Easy to digest food has nothing to do with the Candida’s demise. Feeding them or not should be the focus. Potatoes and fruit both will sustain the Candida and keep them multiplying.

A possible refund is a good idea. If you can get even part of your money back, it would be wise to invest in a hot plate if you’re allowed to have them in the dorm. This way you could at least boil eggs and have them as often as possible and cook some green vegetables now and then, of course you can cook the vegetables in a microwave as well. Purchasing organic eggs would be the wise choice. You can actually scramble eggs in microwave, if you’ve never tried that, this is how it’s done.
    Use 1/2 to 1 tbsp. of water per egg that you’re cooking. (1 if the egg is very large, 1/2 for small or medium).
    In a glass container stir together eggs and water. Cook on high power 45-50 seconds or on 50% power 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Scrambled eggs should come out light and fluffy.

If you talk to someone about a refund, don’t mention the word Candida, people seem to think you’ve lost it when you do this and stop taking you seriously. Just tell the person that you’ve acquired an allergy to sugar and food that changes into sugar after it’s eaten, which is pretty much the truth. Most people will accept this much quicker than something that doctors in general don’t even believe in.

Able

raster
    Participant

Hello collegestudent and candida forum users,

I apologize for my poor advice; the foods I suggested should never be eaten while on the strict candida diet. I only suggested a half-ass plan where recovery is never possible. I have never done this before (given absolutely horrenduous advice), and once again it will not lead to success.

Lets recap; eat as many veggies(minus potatoes and carrots) and salads as possible. Eat some (greek) yogurt if it is covered under the dorm food plan; check the label to make sure that it doesn’t have much sugar. Anything with more than 11g of sugar per serving is too much. Eat tons of eggs and get some kind of hot pot boiling machine to have hard boiled eggs.

Don’t eat any fruits because these contain sugars.

Eat as much meat as possible, avoid all red meat.

Dorm food typically has sugar in every single thing they make; they use tons of poor ingredients to come up with almost tasty foods. They employ tons of grains, fruits, dairy, red meat, and pastas. They use sysco food products and nothing is ever organic. Its tough if you are strickly vegetarian. I feel your pain collegestudent and I hope you succeed!

Collegestudent

Hi

My diet so far consists of scrambled eggs from the cafeteria in the morning for breakfast and then I go up to my dorm and have all natural nancy’s unsweetened acidophilus yogurt. I think I will add oat bran to my breakfasts I need a little more.
    Then I usually have salad for lunch a big salad with lettuce, spinach, sunflower seeds, cucumbers, olives, carrots and tomatoes? I also have a lemon, olive oil and pepper dressing that I make myself. Can I have carrots and tomatoes?

This week there has been a coconut rice and lemongrass chicken dish that has had coconut rice, chicken, onions, red bell peppers, and mushrooms. I don’t eat the mushrooms. But this is the meal that changes out every week I don’t know what it will be next week. Otherwise I can try going over to the entree section and putting a slab of meat on my salad if they have meat I suppose.

Dinner has been the same thing as lunch usually or I had rice chicken and green beans when they had that and it didn’t upset my stomach.
    For snacks I have been eating celery and peanut butter, rye crackers and avocado, and popcorn with light butter that I make in my own popcorn popper not he microwavable kind with tons of butter.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

“I think I will add oat bran to my breakfasts I need a little more.”

Reply: This is the type of oat bran we’re speaking of.
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/oat-bran-cereal.html
    Sometimes Amazon has this at a cheaper price.

“Then I usually have salad for lunch a big salad with lettuce, spinach, sunflower seeds, cucumbers, olives, carrots and tomatoes? I also have a lemon, olive oil and pepper dressing that I make myself. Can I have carrots and tomatoes?”

Reply: Carrots should be left out during the entire treatment. After a month or so, you could test tomatoes, meaning eat only a small amount for the first few times. .

“Dinner has been the same thing as lunch usually or I had rice chicken and green beans when they had that and it didn’t upset my stomach.”

Reply: If you mean “rice and chicken” you should leave the rice out of your diet completely.

“For snacks I have been eating celery and peanut butter, rye crackers and avocado, and popcorn with light butter that I make in my own popcorn popper not he microwavable kind with tons of butter.”

Reply: You’ll be more successful with your treatment if you leave out peanut butter, rye products, popcorn and butter. Butter is a dairy product, none of which should be eaten on the diet.

Able

Collegestudent

Okay I will cut out the carrots completely. I have had tomatoes on my salad and they haven’t upset my stomach but I can limit them also. They usually have rice and chicken and green beans one of the nights. So no rice at all? Is that because of the gluten in the rice from the seasoning?

So could I replace peanut butter with another nut butter such as almond butter?

Thank you for the advice!

raster
    Participant

Rice contains small amounts of gluten; brown rice is best but white rice is the worse. Rice isn’t completely horrible; over 1/3 of the world eats it daily and they don’t have candida! But, it doesn’t help you get better. After I cut it I healed faster, thats all I know.

Almond butter is a good alternative, but it still contains mold/fungi. I have only been able to add it during phase 2 of the diet, and still its a little iffy. And you can only have fresh almond butter, which is only available at organic and health food stores. If you made it yourself, you could soak the almonds for a few hours and the molds/fungi are mostly removed.

Collegestudent

Okay I have to eat some sort of grain so I will just eat the brown rice when they have it in the cafeteria.

I eat organic peanut butter from Trader Jo’s with no preservatives and it’s been fine just so I do not eat too much at once and I eat it with vegetables.

raster
    Participant

If possible, try to get the fresh stuff; peanuts contain the most mold/fungi when compared to all nuts.

Eventually your body may adapt to it and may give you a signal that it isn’t good for your diet; try to pay attention to your bodies bio-feedback.

Some people are worse off than others, so if you can handle it, you may be doing better than most.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘College student fighting against the cafeteria’ is closed to new replies.