Coconut Water Kefir vs. Coconut Milk Kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Coconut Water Kefir vs. Coconut Milk Kefir

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Fitterbas 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jojilla
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 51

I am going to start on probiotics next week, and I want to understand the difference between coconut WATER kefir vs. coconut MILK kefir. I plan to make my own kefir, and if I understand correctly, I will be choosing between water and milk crystals?

Thanks everyone—can’t imagine what I’d do without having all of you!

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Water kefir grains can be used in coconut water, and to the best of my knowledge, they can exist that way pretty indefinitely. You need milk kefir grains for coconut milk kefir, and milk kefir grains need to spend time in actual dairy (cow or goat) periodically. I make coconut milk kefir for myself, but I also make goat milk kefir for a housemate, and my grains stay alive that way. Other friends of mine have kept their grains in coconut only, and they seem to die/get contaminated within a month or two. I don’t really know much in regards to which is more effective or probiotic-rich.

Jojilla

Thanks Shayfo. I am having a difficult understanding which is healthiest for me. I’m allergic to cow’s milk, but not goat milk, so whatever I do it will involve coconut milk kefir, goat kefir, or coconut water kefir. I am curious if anyone knows if one of these is “better” for building/bringing the good bacteria back?

Do you know what most people on the forum tend to use?

barnmouse
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 53

I make water kefir exclusively and haven’t had any contamination issues. I’ve been using the same grains since December or January. I use ½ cup organic sugar and 1-3 teaspoons molasses to 2 quarts water.

Milk kefir does have more strains of bacteria and yeast than water kefir, but milk grosses me out.

From Cultures for Health:
    http://www.culturesforhealth.com/compare-milk-versus-kefir-water-kefir
    http://www.culturesforhealth.com/milk-kefir-grains-composition-bacteria-yeast
    http://www.culturesforhealth.com/water-kefir-grains-composition-bacteria-yeast

shayfo

I agree with barnmouse that milk is creepy, but if you can handle goat milk kefir, it’d probably be the most beneficial.

Jojilla

Okay, still figuring this out.

So, if I want to make kefir using fresh young coconut water, I buy the water kefir grain from cultures for health. If I want to make goat milk and/or coconut milk kefir, I can buy my grains from Cultures for Health or Body Ecology? It seems that people favor, overall, Body Ecology’s crystals?

Also, what sounds really good to me, especially as I am in my first two weeks of the Strict Candida Diet, is making coconut milk kefir. I am trying to understand if (1) I can have that on the Strict Diet, and (2) if making kefir from a can on coconut milk is a healthy for me (with regard to sugar) as coconut water kefir.

Thanks for helping me through this; I might be making this more complicated than it needs to be.

barnmouse

I purchased my water kefir grains from Cultures for Health. They’ve been going strong for several months. And their articles are really helpful. They also have great customer service, including live chat.

Coconut milk is on the strict diet. Just make sure it’s sugar and additive free. If you have a Trader Joe’s near you, they sell canned coconut milk for around $1.

shayfo

Coconut milk and coconut milk kefir are allowed on the strict diet. Coconut water is not, but coconut water kefir is fine (Able might disagree, I suppose, but I haven’t seen it yet).

Whole Foods’ store-brand organic canned coconut contains no extra ingredients and is $1.99/can. It’s the best deal for the best product, in my opinion. If finances aren’t a big issue, there’s a brand called Natural Value that carries additive-free organic coconut milk in a BPA-free can. It makes reeeeally good, creamy coconut kefir. Hands-down my favorite, though I’ve never seen it for less than $3/can.

I got my grains from a friend. A lot of people on here buy from the Kefir Lady website, though.

Jojilla

Barnmouse, you said WATER kefir grains—what are you making? My understanding is that you cannot use water kefir grains for coconut milk, only coconut water.

Thanks for your comments!

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

i couldn’t tolerate coconut milk kefir. I did fine on coconut water, goats milk, buffalo & cows milk kefir though.

barnmouse

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I use water kefir grains. I was answering your question regarding Cultures for Health vs. Body Ecology. I was just giving my experience with Cultures for Health. 🙂

I did find this article from Cultures for Health on making coconut milk kefir with finished water kefir. Totally dairy free! I think I’m going to try it.

And Shayfo had an excellent suggestion about getting kefir grains from a friend. I could only find milk kefir grains, so no go for me. I know people list kefir grains on Craiglist too, so that may be an option for you.

Fitterbas
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Haven’t made coconut milk kefir because i dont like coconut milk, but coconut water kefir is quite good. See here the tips on how to make coconut water kefir. And for some reason it doesnt taste even remotely like coconut.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Coconut Water Kefir vs. Coconut Milk Kefir’ is closed to new replies.