Coconut Oil Prices

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Coconut Oil Prices

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  GayBofill 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Hi all,

Could you clarify please what the difference is between the cheaper coconut oil and the more expensive? I can buy 500ml of KTC Pure Coconut Oil http://herbsgardenshealth.co.uk/KTC-100-Pure-Coconut-Oil-500ml for about €2.50 in a local African supermarket. I can get “Perfectly Pure Coconut Oil 453g for about €8 (€6 on sale) And the brand Veridian http://www.bodykind.ie/search/coconut/product/1815-100-percent-Organic-Virgin-Raw-Coconut-Oil-500g.aspx costs over €18 for the same quantity.

I had been buying the most expensive intially and then bought a few of the mid range to see if there was a difference in taste/ smell and there doesn’t seem to be. Any reason I can’t buy the KTC brand? I can buy 7 tubs for the price of 1!! Surely it’s not 7 times better?!!

Any thoughts?

Lucy

Ashlay
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 57

Looks like its because the more expensive one is organic, it’s the same story over here. I’ve been tempted to buy a cheaper product but I don’t actually mind paying more knowing the product is 100% virgin and organic, especially while on this diet.

Ash

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

KTC is refined, and the tubs are a pretty low-grade plastic, which isn’t something you want hot oil going into. I don’t believe the processing is anywhere near as bad as for refined seed oils, which contain solvent residues, trace metals like aluminium, and as yet unstudied toxic by-products (transfat is one that has been studied and look how bad that is!). You might have to ask the manufacturer how the capyrilic acid content and other healthful components are affected. I’d be surprised if it has the same benefits as virgin oil. Unrefined sunflower oil is incredibly healthful, but the crap sold in supermarkets will send you on your way to a heart attack.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’d say the biggest factors in price are quality and whether its organic or not.

-Raster

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hi, Lucy. I looked at all three of the brands that you posted.

The Viridian brand reads “100% Organic Virgin Raw Coconut Oil.”

The Perfectly Pure brand simply reads “Pure Coconut Oil.”

The KTC brand reads “100% Pure Coconut Oil.”

The Viridian brand is the only one which describes it as being both “organic” and “virgin” which is why the price is higher.

The difference in virgin organic and regular coconut oil is the processes used in manufacturing the oils; regular oil is refined and organic virgin is unrefined. This just means that the organic virgin form will retain more of the coconut’s natural nutrients, taste and quality.

Able

arstrig
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

This probably does not apply to LucyLu (who seems to be in Europe) but Trader Joe’s has organic virgin coconut oil for $5.99/pint in Oregon. Before I found out about that I purchased Nature’s Way which is labeled as “organic pure extra virgin” – Nature’s Way seems to make high end vitamins too, so I assume it’s pretty good stuff. That was $10.39 on sale at Fred Meyers. Everything at Fred Meyers is pretty expensive, IMHO. It’s hard to compete with Trader Joe’s prices since everything is house brand. Next time I’m going to be picking up the coconut oil from Trader Joe’s since that’s where I do a lot of my shopping. Hope this helps anyone that has access to a Fred Meyers or Trader Joes.

Lucylu

Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses and yea I know… you get what you pay for… quality over quantity… pure virgin blah blah blah… BUT how can they really justify charging SEVEN times the price?!! It’s a bitter pill to swallow when all the supplements and organic foods I’m buying are so damn expensive as it is. Small price to pay for my health I guess…

Ah well… back to the bank again!

Lx

Able900
    Spectator

Lucy, since you’re so far into the treatment, and you’re doing so great with it, I wouldn’t worry too much about the type of coconut oil you’re using. It would be different if you were beginning the treatment and your problems were at their worse right now, but that’s not the case. So don’t stress yourself over the fact that the manufacturers are making more of a profit than they should be just because they can stamp “organic virgin” on their coconut oil containers; I’d go ahead and use the 100% pure coconut oil in your case.

Sorry I didn’t say this right away.

Able

Jeremiah
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 31

Thanks for your post arstrig, I live up in the Seattle area and shop at Trader Joes, but didn’t know they had organic coconut oil.

Lucylu

Thanks Able I was hoping you’d say that! I’d kind of decided to use the pure one for general cooking & baking and maybe the organic one for on crackers. The price differences really are incredible…

GayBofill
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 34

Hi,

I’m back!

I have tried a few brands of organic, virgin coconut oil and also recently just bought Trader Joe’s due to the quality stated on the label and great price. I haven’t tried it yet. However, I do have a question regarding coconut oil.

So far I’ve used coconut oil for cooking only. I’ve come across something called COCONUT MANNA. The label says you can use it as a spread, like butter I presume. Is this form of coconut just as beneficial for candida? It states on the label that this Manna is the coconut “meat” but doesn’t say it’s the oil even though I know cocount meat is high in fat and is where the oil comes from. Has anyone ever tried this cocounut mana? The brand I saw was Nutiva. It seems like it would be yum on coconut bread!

Thnx!
    GB

Lucylu

I think I’ve seen Able mention this as being part of his diet… but never questioned it because I hadn’t a clue what it was and didn’t want to look silly! A lot of the things that you guys mention we can’t get over here so I’m used to finding my own alternatives!

Able900
    Spectator

GB, coconut manna is practically the same thing as condensed coconut cream. In some brands it comes in a block which can be melted, and other brands have it in a glass container. I imagine it’d be alright on coconut bread, but it has a somewhat “sandy” texture which I find a bit unpleasant for myself. I prefer to mix it with Greek yogurt and a bit of Stevia or Truvia; this presents a pleasant texture with a nice mixture of sweet and tangy.
    Unfortunately it doesn’t have quite the same beneficial properties as coconut oil as far as antifungal, but it’s a good addition to your diet if you have no problems tolerating it.

Can’t imagine you looking silly, Lucy.
    Able

Downtown
    Replies: 39

Because this post was about prices I thought i would mention this,

At the local place i shop almond meal is about $12 per pound, so instead i bought a couple cups of raw almonds, which were 6 or 7 dollars a pound, and put them in my blender. I used the pulse mode and chopped them into the consistency of meal for about half the price. Just be careful you dont blend too much or you’ll end up with almond butter. It worked out really well actually, so i made the pumpkin bread which again worked out pretty well. Just a little tip for those that dont know to save a little green.

Good luck,
    Dt

GayBofill
    Replies: 34

Thank you Able for the coconut manna explanation. I think I’ll skip it for now given your experience with it. Doesn’t sound as appetizing as I thought!

GB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Coconut Oil Prices’ is closed to new replies.