Coconut oil leads to green stools?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Coconut oil leads to green stools?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Raizel 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

I was taking 3 to 4 tablespoons / day of coconut oil and noticed that when I got to that level I started getting green stools. I backed off to none yesterday and noticed the color is back pretty much to normal (or at least to whatever it was before).

Does anyone else notice this?

Leisure Lois
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Yes, UncleOxidant I’m glad you brought up that subject. Today for the first time I took 1 tsp of Nature’s Way Efagold Pure Extra Virgin Coconut oil. I did notice about two hours later that my stool was a dark green color but attributed that to the fact that I had eaten a vegetable smoothie made with cucumber, celery, garlic and tomato.

Now I’m curious because this is my first time taking it and I didn’t take as much as you. Has anyone else experienced this or can shed some light on the situation? Im feeling fine, drinking lots of water but still having the darker colored stools three hours later.

Leisure Lois

UncleOxidant

I guess my theory would be that the coconut oil is a fat and that causes the liver to create more bile which is what causes the stool to be green.

toni8
    Replies: 40

UncleOxidant;31171 wrote: I was taking 3 to 4 tablespoons / day of coconut oil and noticed that when I got to that level I started getting green stools. I backed off to none yesterday and noticed the color is back pretty much to normal (or at least to whatever it was before).

Does anyone else notice this?

Hi maybe you are eating a lot of green veggies? i get green stools but not from coconut oil but from the veggies I am sure…in my case anyway i do not notice green stools when i dont eat green veggies say like when i have couliflower omelet and oatbran bread and still take coconut oil the stool is not green 🙂

UncleOxidant

I generally don’t have green stools even when I eat a lot of green veggies.

It seems to be confirmed: I had stopped the coconut oil for a few days and it want back to normal. Then I started up again yesterday and it seems to be trending towards green again. Plus I had some intestinal burning just prior to BM this morning.

toni8
    Replies: 40

UncleOxidant;31304 wrote: I generally don’t have green stools even when I eat a lot of green veggies.

It seems to be confirmed: I had stopped the coconut oil for a few days and it want back to normal. Then I started up again yesterday and it seems to be trending towards green again. Plus I had some intestinal burning just prior to BM this morning.

Maybe it’s a die off symptom? or possibly you are allergic to it? i guess taking a break sounds good ans see if you can re introduce in slower doses? or not. Best luck in your quest!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I think I figured out the cause: bile released from your liver.

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/gettingdiagnosed/a/green_stools.htm

“The liver secretes a bright green fluid called bile into the small intestine or it is concentrated and stored in the gallbladder.

Bile plays a role in the emulsification, absorption, and digestion of fat and fat soluble vitamins. It helps to soften stools and is responsible for giving stools their characteristic brown color. Bile helps to alkalinize the contents of the intestines. It is made up of bile salts, cholesterol, phospholipids, bilirubin, and electrolytes.

As bile makes its way through to the small intestine and then to the large intestine via the bile ducts, it progressively changes color from green to yellow to brown, due to the action of bacteria in the large intestine on the bile salts.

Green stool often indicates that food has passed through the intestines faster than normal (called decreased bowel transit time), before it could be changed from green to brown.”

-raster

UncleOxidant

I think I figured out the cause: bile released from your liver.

Yes, that’s what I figured it was as well. The oil stimulates more bile production from the liver and the probably also speeds transit time as well.

Raizel
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Yes, I tried Coconut Oil for the first time. I just put it on my face once a day and sometimes twice a day this week. I also only put a teaspoon in my mouth a few days. I started getting green soft stool in the last few days. Most of the absorbtion was probably through the skin. I stopped yesterday and today the stool is Brown and a little more hard. I wanted so much to start using the Coconut Oil. Here is the definition of Medium Chain Triglycerides;Medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) are medium-chain (6 to 12 carbons) fatty acid esters of glycerol.
    MCTs passively diffuse from the GI tract to the portal system (longer fatty acids are absorbed into the lymphatic system) without requirement for modification like long-chain fatty acids or very-long-chain fatty acids. In addition, MCTs do not require bile salts for digestion. Patients that have malnutrition or malabsorption syndromes are treated with MCTs because they do not require energy for absorption, utilization, or storage. Coconut oil is composed of approximately 66% medium-chain triglycerides. Other rich sources of MCTs include palm kernel oil and camphor tree drupes. The fatty acids found in MCTs are called medium-chain fatty acids.

Is there a problem for us to use this?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Coconut oil leads to green stools?’ is closed to new replies.