Coconut oil and high cholesterol

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Coconut oil and high cholesterol

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Flipper
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 79

I understand that coconut oil is great for us, but it’s so high in saturated fat I’m wondering if too much over a long period of time is not a good thing.

And another question, can you take too many probiotics?

Thanks.

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

Coconut oil does not have any cholesterol in it. I do not know how saturated fat in a pure form would affect your cholesterol levels. Everyone needs some fat in their diet, so I believe it is better to get it from a pure food source than from others that we (western diet) typically eat. Also, there have been some studies that have shown that coconut oil may help with Alzheimer’s, although this has not been proven.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Flipper;35106 wrote: I understand that coconut oil is great for us, but it’s so high in saturated fat I’m wondering if too much over a long period of time is not a good thing.

Actually, coconut oil does raise cholesterol, however (and this is the important part), coconut oil raises your HDL (that’s your ‘good’ cholesterol) more than it raises the LDL (bad), so in the long run, it improves your overall “cholesterol ratio” – and by this term I’m talking about the relation between LDL, HDL and total cholesterol that a doctor uses to determine your risk for heart disease, so in other words, it lowers the risks for heart disease.

And another question, can you take too many probiotics?

It’s probably possible to take too much of any supplement on earth. However, it’s difficult to overdose on probiotics because the conditions in the digestive tract need to be practically perfect for the good bacteria to survive, grow and multiply the way they should, and there are over 400 different strains of beneficial bacteria. Literally billions are killed off every day in one way or another, so it’s important to replace them. The best you can hope for is that at least half of what you put into your body will survive.

Able

Flipper
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 79

Thanks so much. Yes my “good” cholesterol is really high these days.
    I’ll keep at it with the coconut oil and try not to worry about that anyway. (LOL)
    Nor will I worry about overdoing it with the probiotics. I’m up to about 200 billion a day now using 3 different brands you (Able) have recommended along with water kefir.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It’s been a concern of mine recently too, so I am going to get my cholestorol tested. Ever since I reduced my consumption of eggs, I have started to feel a lot better. I’ve had some heart symptoms lately and want to look into it further, its either blood pressure or cholestorol or something else.

-raster

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Coconut oil and high cholesterol’ is closed to new replies.