Coconut oil and apple cider vinegar fast… Am I on the right path?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Coconut oil and apple cider vinegar fast… Am I on the right path?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  BozWhiteTiger 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

BozWhiteTiger
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 12

Hey all

Firstly I thank anyone who takes the time to read this, even more so if you have any advice or encouragement to give.

Mines a long story but I’ll try to keep to the cliff notes version, basically I’ve had digestive issues ongoing for the past two and a half years. Queasy stomach, pain, cramping, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, Gerd, reflux, food not being properly digested, ect. At first it was only maybe a few times a week if at all, but since the beginning of this year it’s gotten so bad I can’t have one day without digestive distress, the worst of which is pain beneath my right rib before BM. It’s strange to me in a way that, I usually have to go 1-4 times in the morning, I might get away with the first two being okay, but the third is always painful…plus I always have to strain lately which I know isn’t good but it refuses to move by itself.

Okay, so, I’ve had my gallbladder out a year ago, was diagnosed with SIBO in April, took antibiotics not knowing any better and had maybe a day of relief… Then was back to misery.

So, fast forward to this week and I decides to incorporate some of the infinite suggestions I’ve read over the past six months… Twice, and am fasting, only taking EV coconut oil and apple cider vinegar.

It’s so, so hard, I’ve not gone a whole day without a decent meal in nearly a decade, as I’ve always had digestive issues throughout my life but they never ran my entire life as they do now. Initially I liked the oil but now it’s making me a bit nauseous, and I’m still having a lot if stomach pain on the right side that goes from queasy, pressure, cramping and sometimes feeling like a fork is being stabbed in there… Not that I’d know I’d just imagine it too feel that way.

I had diarrhea all last night for several hours and was hoping I was done, but I had to go again today with pain beforehand and there was more solid junk! Where is all this stuff being Stored?! I’m a skinny guy already and have lost a lot of weight over this so I’m afraid to loose anymore, I just haven’t felt healthy in so long.

So what this all amounts too is am I going in the right direction? I’m just so desperate to feel better and have my life back but whatever is in me is refusing to go away. I realize it’s still really early I’m just so hungry, I’ve never fine anything like this before.

As I began saying any tips or encouragement would be appreciated, I have been drinking a lot if water and also have pau d’arco tea on hand… But it’s summer here with no ac so it’s difficult to want to drink it when it’s sweltering.

Thanks for any advice in advance!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Here is a post I recommend checking out:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst8180_Doing-too-much-too-fast.aspx

You likely are over doing it with the antifungals. Do you have a positive diagnosis that candida is your problem?

-raster

BozWhiteTiger
    Participant

Firstly, thank you for the link… I’ll confess I have a tendency to overdo it and I should know better by now.

Secondly I’m ashamed to admit I don’t have a definite diagnosis, the SIBO was the only thing I was diagnosed with. I wanted to seek help from a local naturopathic doctor but my insurance doesn’t cover it (is it one of those things no insurance covers, like a chriropractor ?) and I can’t afford it right now. I’ve posted elsewhere on ‘cure zone’ and those whom replied felt it was either candida or a parasite, I realize complete strangers aren’t really the best to seek a reliable diagnosis from but it’s all I have to work with as my gastro doc keeps dismissing my issues as constipation, and to drink more water and take more fiber and myralax and it’s not doing anything.

There was a time that food seemed to pass through me at a decent rate, now I end up seeing stuff from days ago, undigested vegetables or rice and it’s a bit unnerving to me as this has only become an issue in the past few months

Forgive me if I keep going into TMI territory here.

I’ve had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy a year and a half ago, so I don’t know if something could’ve happened to that area of my colon beneath my rib. I’d tried probiotics, the usual blend of L and B and that helped immensely… But just for a few days, then I was back to having cramps and gas and being constipated. I experienced what I feel was a ‘brief’ die off reaction from those, for a couple days I felt as if I had the flu, aching a lot and headaches, but it passed and about a week after it just didn’t help me. I also tried life way kefir, but…I don’t think that did anything other than give me a lot of bothersome regurgitation, garlic gives me that too which I’ve also tried as an antifungal, yuck.

I know something’s off in my gut, I’ve developed a horrible sensitivity to eggs, oranges and steak, whereas I’ll get horrific cramping the next day before I have to go. I used to be able tolerate these things fine! I’ve always had trouble with dairy so I don’t consume any, I miss yogurt and ice cream so badly.

So… Yea, I’m sorry to ramble on I just get so worried, I’m kind of severely stressed out about all if this and I know that doesn’t help, but it feels good to be able to talk about it. I really wish I could see a naturopathic doctor as my gastro doc has been no help… In fact, things have just gotten worse in the last two years since I started seeing him! But, my insurance only covers the doctors that can’t seem to help me :/

raster
    Participant

Well you likely have some kind of gut flora imbalance. You are not absorbing the nutrients from the food you eat either and likely have inflammation of the gut. You could also have dysbiosis.

One possible thing that could be a major part of all of this is you could be deficient in stomach acid. This would explain the undigested food, the constipation and bloating, the overgrowth, etc. If you aren’t breaking down the food you eat, then it will continue on and sit inside your gut and ferment. When you have fermentation this causes other problems…but it also creates a lot of gas.

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6027_Hydro-chloric-Acid-and-Health–written-by-Dr–McCoombs.aspx

Remember, digestion begins at the mouth and when you chew, it releases a variety of enzymes. These enzymes break down your food. If you don’t chew enough then it’ll be harder to break down the food:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1222_Chew-your-food-longer–Simple-tip-to-improve-your-health.aspx

So I recommend chewing your food more vigorously than at anytime ever in your life.

Then there is inflammation, constipation, specific organs that are not working optimally, and a variety of other problems to address. To reduce inflammation there are a variety of things you can do, but the top thing is to avoid inflammatory foods such as fried food, coffee, sugar, grains, etc. If you don’t drink enough water this can cause inflammation too, so this is another simple tip for your general health.

Then there are anti-inflammatory supplements/foods such as flax oil, pumpkin, all seafood and oils derived from fish, spinach, broccoli, cinnamon, artichokes, etc. I recommend all of these and this should benefit your general digestive health.

Enzymes are something else I would look into. Digestive enzymes will help break down the food you eat, thus giving you more energy. They should also help heal your mucousal membrane and provide a variety of benefits…more than I can list here. Certain enzymes are good for specific digestive conditions…for instance with SIBO sufferers, you might benefit from just a few enzymes.

Another thing to think about is that with specific digestive problems you will want to take a specific set of supplements vs. not taking some specific ones. With SIBO, you can find products that will quickly turn it around but it might make a different digestive problem worse. So this is why I recommend consulting a professional because they’ll have a better idea than anyone on the internet because of their experience dealing with this. You could take something else that might mess up your thyroid or liver or pancreas or gallbladder and it would suck if that happened. Or you could spend a lot of money and not get better after 1-2 years. To get better as fast as possible, it might be best to consult a professional…

There is a whole alternative healthcare industry created to treat these problems…if you look at the major brands, there is a lot of products to choose from. I would check out integrative thereaputics, thorne, standard process, pure encapsulations, seroyal, etc. These are the brands naturopaths use to treat their patients and the correct combination of these products is likely what will bring your relief.

I would check out s. boulardii possibly and see how you feel after a few days as an experiment. It might really turn things around quickly or make you feel worse, its hard to say but I would read up on it.

-raster

BozWhiteTiger
    Participant

Raster, Thank you so very, very much for your in-depth and thorough response, it really has given me a lot to think about and a little of my hope back for getting better. I’ll confess I’ve posted on a few forums like I’ve said, but never really felt satisfied with the answers until you took the time to respond to me. So, at the risk of sounding too overly grateful, thank you once more.

I do intend at some point in time to see a naturopath, wish I could sooner But things are a little tight right now. I realize self-diagnosis is never the way to go, I’ve just been back and for to the gastro doctor so many times…I felt so frustrated I even went to see a different one, and he was even worse, he was about as callous and cold to my misery as any one person could be…I never went back there after that. Only useful thing he did was actually get me tested for SIBO, and I was feeling my absolute worse at this point, the orange solution I had to drink made me feel so sick. So I was positive for that, did the antibiotics and like I said, it didn’t really help.

I started feeling better for a short time after I started a Acidophilus & Bifidus probitioc like I said, but it’s benefits wore off fast, I started getting really bad cramping and ALWAYS had a lot of gas in my lower abdomen, especially before a BM. Only plus was at least I didn’t have to go 3-4 times in the morning anymore, but even that didn’t last.

S anyways, forgive me blabbing here when you’ve already given me some of your time, I just had a a couple last things I’d like to pick your brain about if that’s okay.

Firstly, is there a probiotic you think would be good for me, or should I hold off on that for when I know for sure SIBO is resolved, or for a consultation? I just really would like to take them I know for a fact, like you said my gut flora is in horrid shape.

The flax oil, is that just flax oil itself or flaxseed oil? I was browsing these and saw a bunch of variations and I got confused, so I didn’t get any yet.

I wonder about my acid reflux too, I have this issue where, sometimes in the morning I get this horrendous, post-nasal drip snot taste in the back of my mouth, it’s disgusting. I know this is due to the reflux, I’m just not sure what to do about it. I was taking the ACV primarily to help with low stomach acid or whatever and I’m not sure if I’m taking too much…or too little. I’ve totally done away with PPI’s a few months ago, I was on those for nearly two years and blame them for all the problems I have now, as I was not doing this badly two years ago. Just wondering what to do for that, or would the HCL help with that too?

Finally, thank you again so much for your insight, it really was very helpful and appreciated. I’m just wanting to get some normalcy back in my life, without having to worry about going to the bathroom all the time and whether or not I’ll have pain and discomfort beforehand, because that’s all it’s been lately.

raster
    Participant

I would check out HMF neuro which is the only human derived probiotic available in the us. Almost all of the reviews for it should be 5 stars. I would rotate this with something like megaflora, renew life, garden of life, or other high strain probiotics. I would try to get a variety of different strains in the long term. What I found to be effective is 2-4 months on HMF neuro and one month on a different probiotic.

Then I would try out boulardii sometime for a month and for some people it will work and others it will not.

I would take zypan, a digestive enzyme with HCL, or betaine HCL to help with stomach acid…other fatty acids help with stomach acid such as SF722 which is another popular anti-candida supplement that is antifungal.

All of the flax oil derived products should all be the same stuff…the barleans or spectrum brands are the most popular.

-raster

BozWhiteTiger
    Participant

Again thank you for the very useful info.

I’ve begun a few of the supplements/vitamins , and I realize it’ll probably take awhile to notice some improvement, the last few weeks were especially rough and only now is it calming slightly again. I still have to invest in the probiotics, I’m a little wary of some in that they have the same bifido/lacto strains from the previous one I tried, that worked at first but then they seemed to totally stop for me, it’s very frustrating and I read those don’t occur naturally in the body somewhere, I’m hoping to restore what’s left if any od my flora though I think I’ve done some irreversible damage too it which is very discouraging for me. I’ve always had a sensitive stomach but my issues or flares were never detrimental to my overall quality of life, just the last two years and a half have been horrible. I know it’ll take time I just prey I can get back to where I was somehow.

Something I forgot to mention though, I actually had my gallbladder removed over a year ago, which seems to have made things worse. I didn’t really know any better and I was told repeatedly that was my issue, I had some relief for a few months but then my symptoms returned with a vengeance.

Also , and this has really, really really been frustrating me too no end, lately I may manage to feel close to normal with my first two BMS in the morning, but my third or fourth that usually happen around 1-2 pm is always, always uncomfortable/painful or crampy beforehand, then my stomach feels messed up for nearly the rest of the day, usually I don’t have to go again after this. I’ve just been trying to eat better and maybe it’s lessened a little but not totally and I get so discouraged by this, why would my stomach feel nearly normal for an a few hours then just up and decide ‘oh hey, it’s time to make him feel like crap!’ It just makes no sense to me, I realize it can be attributed to constipation and my gastro said oh your colon walls get caked with stuff or something but I don’t really comprehend that at all.

I know I’m probably getting a little needy here and you’re not an answer-all (though you’ve been amazing so far) it just feels a little good to actually be listened to for once, I’ve gone over this with so many doctors and forums and they never offered such comprehensive and insightful advice that makes me feel a little hopeful again, so, I apologize if I’m posting or asking too much and understand if there’s some things you’re not sure about either, but thank you for replying so much.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Coconut oil and apple cider vinegar fast… Am I on the right path?’ is closed to new replies.