Coconut Milk Kefir Help Please – Body Ecology Kit

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Coconut Milk Kefir Help Please – Body Ecology Kit

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

emilylyons22
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 12

Hi All,

I just tried to make my first batch of coconut milk kefir using the Body Ecology kit. We live in the mountains and it’s very cold in our house. The directions say to ferment 18-24 hrs at 72-75 degrees but I just checked the temp on my kefir after 24 hrs and it’s only at 64 degrees. I mixed it (know I shouldn’t have) but I think it needs to sit out longer, but how much longer? The kefir is still the same consistency as regular coconut milk, it hasn’t thickened at all.

Also, can I save some of the coconut kefir to make a second batch or does that only work with dairy milk?

Thanks in advance for the help/suggestions!

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I’ve never used the Body Ecology kefir kit, so I don’t know exactly what that entails, but I make coconut milk kefir with regular kefir grains, and I’ve found that temperature and brand of coconut milk make a difference. Some brands thicken up a lot, and some very little. You can always scoop a little out to see if it tastes slightly sour (which is the goal). Different brands also have different “finished” flavors, I find. If it’s cold, it might take two days.

I don’t think you can use liquid coconut milk kefir as a starter.

You should be aware that kefir grains eventually die if they’re only in coconut milk. I make goat milk kefir for a housemate of mine to keep my grains from dying. I just rinse and swap the grains every week and they seem happy enough.

emilylyons22
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 12

Thanks shayfo for the help! I left it out an extra day close to the heating vent and tried it last night. It was amazing! I’ve never had kefir before and was nervous because I didn’t know what it would taste like. My batch came out rather thick, kinda like greek yogurt consistency. I had a few bites last night and a few this morning and felt fine after. You think it would be ok to have more since I didn’t react? It’s so good I want to have more!

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Maybe have a couple more spoons of it today, and then eat the rest tomorrow, just to be sure. It’s super delicious, so I understand your urgency 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Coconut Milk Kefir Help Please – Body Ecology Kit’ is closed to new replies.