coconut bread.. too dry?

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas coconut bread.. too dry?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Doggiemama 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

misscandida
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 26

Hi guys
    so I tried to bake my first coconut bread and it came out very very dry… is that how it’s supposed to be? Is it supposed to raise a little bit thanks to the baking soda? It tastes good (I added rosemary as read on the forum) but can’t have a bite without drinking some water that’s how dry it is…
    Been trying to upload a photo to show you how it looks like but not being very successful :S
    Any hepl or advice is much appreciated!
    Thanks..
    M.

Chris24
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 329

Add a bunch of ghee to the batter. That really helps. And a little water maybe. The batter should be smooth.

I once made a chicoree/ghee/buckwheatflour/coconutflour cake that way that was pretty good with coconut cream and almond butter on top.

misscandida

Thank you Chris will go get myself some ghee today and try again!

Faith
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 87

The coconut bread is very dry!! I could barely choke it down! But when you’re starving…!! 😉

I make these little pancakes now. They are much, much better. At least to me! After eating that coconut bread! I mean coconut brick! 🙂

1.5 C- Coconut flour
    1.5 C- Buckwheat flour
    1 can coconut milk (just coconut & water can)
    1/4 C-Lemon juice (or Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar)

I used to mix it in a bowl, but then I figured just to pour it all in a gallon zip bag and mix together. Just kinda keep mixing it till its a crumbly kinda texture, but all the milk and vinegar is incorporated. Put it on the counter and let it “soak” over night.

Then next day (I kinda just eyeball everything)to make the pancake mix, I pour out about 2.5 cups of the mixture into a larger mixing bowl. Add 4 eggs, 3 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons baking soda. You can add cinnamon or whatever you want at this point too.

Then just pour in water and mix it up. Add enough water to get it to a pancake batter consistency. Then heat up a pan or griddle, lightly oil it with some coconut oil to get you started.

Then just start making little pancakes. I make at least half the bag and make mini pancakes and eat them for snack and stuff. They are REALLY good compared to brick bread! I like them, since I can eat it. It’s soft and you can get used to it easier than the coconut bread. Plus you can put them in a bag and take them in the car. I do frig them, but I like them better at room temp. But I’d put them in the frig when I’m done with them. They are my life saver on this diet!

Tried the ghee, ah…not good. Skin broke out before the day was over. So…just sticking with my little pancakes for now.

Give them a try, they’re good! 🙂

Cbradbury
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Definitely experienced this. Took the bread out 10 min earlier (30min instead of 40min bake time), and much softer and very delicious. Put soft or hard butter on top, and enjoy throughout day. Make sure to wrap it up to keep it moist. This bread has been saving me now- when it was too dry I tried to put butter and heat up, but taking it out of oven earlier worked much better.

princeofsin
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 224

Im gonna go try some and tell you how it is!

misscandida

Thank you all for these tips! So I did my second batch of bread, and this time I used half coconut flour, half buckwheat flour, I put some vanilla beans and some xylitol, and added a few sliced almonds on top. Then I took it out of the oven a little bit earlier.. Yum!! Not only I didn’t choke trying to eat it, it was actually really nice 🙂 So next step will be Faith’s pancakes, will let you know how it goes! thank you thank you thank you 🙂
    M.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I think you failed initially on the bread because you used baking soda instead of baking powder which is in the original recipe.

-raster

misscandida

Hey Raster, yeah, that is probably a reason too.. this time I did use baking powder, I am impressed by your mind-reading skills, since I didn’t even mention it in my post :))

Tres
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 19

Hi, looking for diabetic recipies i,m in stage 2. thanks

Doggiemama
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

would adding eggs to it make it more moist? i read somewhere that someone recommended adding egg(s) to make it not so dry.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘coconut bread.. too dry?’ is closed to new replies.