Cleansing diet – What for breakfast?

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Breakfast Cleansing diet – What for breakfast?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  yogajedi 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Atela
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 32

I’m getting ready to start the first phase of the cleansing diet. Am I to assume that this part of the journey will consist of nothing but veggies? Or is there some interesting dish that will replace my oatmeal? I assume that oatmeal is out for now. Vegetables have always been my favorite part of my meals, but suddenly, the thought of having no starches, sweets or meat with my daily intake has my brain scrambling of how to ingest these without my usual butter. I think I need a coach!

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

In a couple of weeks you can start testing new foods and add in buckwheat or oat bran (not the same as oatmeal), but at first, yep, just veggies, maybe a few eggs here and there. I’m not gonna lie to kick it, the first 10-14 days suck pretty hard, but once you get through the initial detox and start adjusting and being able to add a couple of foods back in, then it’s not bad and the cravings get a lot smaller etc.

You just gotta think about things differently…there’s nothing wrong with veggies for breakfast! I eat soup for breakfast a lot, leftovers, that sort of thing. Also, you can use coconut oil instead of butter (just watch out at first because it is an antifungal and could cause die-off so go slow).

There are a lot of great folks here with everywhere from a little to years of experience and we are all here to help each other out and answer each others’ questions, so ask away!

Atela
    Participant

Able900, thanks for the heads up on the oatmeal. I assume that I’ll be able to add it back into the diet once I’ve reached the 3rd phase.

Alex, thanks for the tip on the coconut oil. I have my own coconut palm, plus several of my neighbors supply me as well. I process my own coconut oil. I made a salad dressing of lemon juice, fresh garlic, fresh grated ginger, Himalayan salt, cucumber and coconut oil. Turned out pretty good, but definitely needs a palate cleansing afterwards. I also have my own papaya trees. Am I to assume that they are a no-go for now as well? The sugar content is almost nil.

Are there any acceptable snack items? Like maybe something made with green pea flour and shredded vegetables of some sort? I’m terribly hungry, and losing more weight than I want! At 109 and dropping, I can’t afford to lose much more.

Steamed vegetables have always been my choice. However, doesn’t that kill the valuable enzymes needed for the detox? Same question goes for soups. Or are you referring to cold soup processed in a blender?

Also, what’s the rule on vegan cheese?

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

You can make fresh vegetable juice to get enzymes. Light steaming actually makes a lot of nutrients easier to assimilate for the body, though it may cut down on enzymes. I think a balance of both raw and steamed is optimal.

Peas are too starchy for the cleanse or first phase of the diet, so it’s not recommended to use them or their products. If you make juice, you can bake/dehydrate the vegetable pulp from the juicer into crackers. You can also make baked or dehydrated chips from kale or swiss chard, if you’re specifically looking for a crispy “snack”-like texture. Otherwise, just eat lots of vegetables :p Like Alex says, it just sucks for a while, and you lose weight, and then your body figures it out and weight loss slows down, and you feel less hungry. Since a lot of us are cutting out quite a bit of sodium when we start the cleanse/diet, it seems like a lot of initial weight is water. It’s mentioned on the link Able provided to the forum’s cleanse protocol, but feel free to go sort of wild with extra virgin olive oil. It’ll help boost your calories, and you need fat in order to get rid of fat-soluble toxins during a detox period. You can also eat avocados. I was eating one or more a day for most of my cleanse phase, and I think it helped me both physically and psychologically, since it’s just about the only “rich” thing allowed.

I hope some of that helps, good luck!

alexalgebra

Papaya is definitely a no go – no fruit whatsoever (aside from lemon juice and avocados)

Green pea flour would also not be recommended.

After the initial detox, one of the first things folks test adding back in is coconut flour, and there are several coconut bread recipes on the bread recipes part of the forum. This is high in fat and calories and filling. Once you get your own recipe down, it’s also pretty darn good! I think everyone has their own little tricks (I like to put coconut milk in mine to make it more moist).

You can also make biscuits/muffins out of buckwheat and oat bran once you add those back in (about 2-4 weeks in you can start testing new foods one week at a time).

Here’s the thing…a lot of folks on here are in your same boat, self included. I have lost about 20 pounds on this diet, and I was skinny to start…now my skinny jeans are too big! However, after the first 10-14 days, the hunger and cravings went away, and my “hangry” problems also started to disappear. My body adapted to the new foods, the initial die-off was done, and the detox of getting off all those crap foods was past…suddenly my body could start getting back on the road to normal! Also, you just have to get a routine going with the new foods and get about 5-10 meals you can rotate through and cook easily and simply.

I don’t know about the enzyme thing with raw foods…steaming is supposed to be the best way to cook veggies, but honestly, I can’t digest raw veggies very well and I think steamed ones taste boring, so I saute, bake, or boil most of my veggies. I like to do blended soups and greens as well.

I have also actually found that I don’t miss snacks as much as I thought, now that I’m a couple months in. My snacks now are generally small meals – a bowl of soup, some veggies, yogurt with granola (see the recipe on the recipe forum), or the like…

I also love avocados!

My weight loss has generally flatlined now…I think most people drop some initial weight then even out, then once the infestation is gone and the beneficial bacteria are repopulated, gain some of the weight back and get to a healthy place.

shayfo

I didn’t see the vegan cheese part of your question the first time around. To the best of my knowledge (as a vegan), basically all vegan cheese is made of either soy or starches, neither of which are allowed. That said, since I’m not allergic to yeast, I’m able to eat nutritional yeast, so I sometimes make “cheesy” gravy with coconut oil, nutritional yeast, teff flour, garlic, and herbs. Once you’re off the cleanse and gradually start testing/reintroducing foods (every week or so, as Alex says), you might be able to do something comparable.

heyitsme
    Replies: 11

You can make chips out of kale, its very easy too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMtiTP1HcFE

Atela
    Participant

heyitsme;38339 wrote: You can make chips out of kale, its very easy too.

Thank you for the link. A friend of mine made kale chips once. I was totally unimpressed. However, perhaps with the vinegar,salt and pepper on them, they might just be palatable!

alexalgebra

Atela;38536 wrote:

Thank you for the link. A friend of mine made kale chips once. I was totally unimpressed. However, perhaps with the vinegar,salt and pepper on them, they might just be palatable!

They’re also quite good with garlic powder or with curry powder.

Atela
    Participant

alexalgebra;38560 wrote:

They’re also quite good with garlic powder or with curry powder.

Maybe some cinnamon would make them taste like desert! 🙂

Hallmark
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 6

Atela, see if your local healthfood store carries “SeaSnax” – it is sea weed flavored with pure spice and pure olive oil. I just got the wasabi flavor and the chipotle flavor – one bag only lasts a few minutes but it’s super if you really need a treat.

Also, enjoy a veggie omelet – one egg and add lots of onion/green pepper and coconut oil and whatever spices you like.

yogajedi
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 43

Shayfo,

Is yeast extract safe during the diet? I know in home-brewing, one can use yeast extract to feed the yeast and accelerate fermentation when making meads, ciders, etc, so I assumed it would be off the table. I always loved using it as a cheese substitute and hope it’s ok : )

shayfo

yogajedi, yeast extract and nutritional yeast are two different things. I’ve never eaten yeast extract, to the best of my knowledge, and I don’t know if it’s suitable for the candida diet. Nutritional yeast is fine as long as you don’t react to it.

“Nutritional yeast is different from yeast extract, which has a very strong flavour and comes in the form of a dark brown paste.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritional_yeast

yogajedi
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 43

shayfo- thanks, I actually meant to say nutritional yeast when talking about brewing, but that’s good to hear that it’s safe. I have a big pre-diet jar of it in the cupboard : )

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cleansing diet – What for breakfast?’ is closed to new replies.