Cleanse/Strict Diet and Vigorous Exercise

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Cleanse/Strict Diet and Vigorous Exercise

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Monte 6 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Monte
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 21

HI all,

I’m fairly new to the forum (been reading as much as possible this last week, but haven’t had time to post yet). I suspected I had Candida several years ago and came across this website but at the time, for whatever reason, I didn’t start the diet or do anything about it. I was a vegetarian for 4 years and went about it wrong, eating mostly carbs. I’ve also been a binge eater (high sugar/carb intake), which I’m thinking came from the severe hunger, fatigue, and cravings I would get, likely from Candida (I’ve always thought it was due to my hypoglycemia). I finally reached my all time low and decided it was time to put an end to this crap so I started researching again and came across this site again.

I did the diet as listed on the main site for three weeks before I found Able’s diet and this forum. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I had severe die off symptoms and literally felt like death for about 3 days on the main site’s diet. I’m definitely concerned I’ve damaged my liver now and am wondering what signs I should be looking out for.

I have now been on the proper and safe cleanse for 6 days through today. The only small changes I made was that I continued to use coconut oil since I had started it on my original three weeks of following the main site diet, and had a few flax seeds that I added to my juice pulp to make crackers (which I’ve discovered I don’t need). I finally ate one egg today as I just felt so hungry and weak. Fatigue is a common occurrence and it is bad when it hits.

I am a very, very active person. I love to workout, although I haven’t been able to for 12 weeks now due to shoulder surgery. I do about everything outdoors including rock climbing, snowshoeing, mountaineering, alpine stuff, backpacking, canyoneering, etc. With summer coming up and having been out of commission these past two years (I’m on shoulder surgery number 4), I am dying to get out but I’m worried about maintaining this diet through my activities. In fact, I have a 4-5 day backpacking trip coming up in 10 days. I’m thinking I will feel just fine if I carry coconut/EVOO and coconut bread with me, as well as some boiled eggs, chia seeds, hemp seeds, etc. Has anyone else dealt with this or have any suggestions what to eat during activity? I really, really need to heal myself, and I know some of the advice I get will be to give up my activities and get healthy first, but I really miss the active person I was. Being active is my life and I don’t want to lose that…

My other concern is that I can’t always tell if my symptoms are Candida related or due to my other health issues. I’m hypoglycemic and get frequent low blood sugar. I don’t “crash” too often, but I get low and feel like crap. I also get these horrible, horrible fatigue spells (wondering if these are Candida related). Sometimes I literally can’t get up and feel like my body is melting into the floor. I have a plethora of injuries including 2 herniated discs in my neck, one in my low back (car accident), have had 4 shoulder surgeries, a bad ankle (bad sprain years ago), bad knees from lifting too heavy for to long, etc. I’ve been diagnosed with Firbromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome due to the constant pain I’ve been in and the high stress I’ve been through for several years now. Needless to say, I can’t always tell what is causing what. I think the horrible fatigue spells have been the worst. Has anyone dealt with this?

One other hugely problematic issue is the mucus feeling I get in my throat. I get it ALL the time, worse after I eat anything. My throat literally catches when I’m talking, goes totally dry, I have to stop and be cognizant of when I swallow. It is so annoying and embarrassing. I have to teach and talk to a lot of important people and I usually just get really quiet because it’s so embarrassing! It has really stripped my confidence.

Also, I’m wondering if anyone else has ever had issues with a salty taste in their mouth? I’m not talking a little bit, but literally like I’m sucking on a horses salt block all day. I can’t taste anything. Salty stuff tastes more salty. I used to eat sweets to counter the salt, but they didn’t taste great either. It’s not a metallic taste I hear of, but literally very, very salty. It came out of nowhere a year or so ago and stayed for a few months. I seriously wished I was dead it was so bad. Now it comes and goes. I get it often, but not always as strong as before. I’ve seen a handful of Dr’s/ENTs (including the Mayo Clinic), etc for the throat thing and the salty thing, but no one has anders.

Sorry so long, but I am quite desperate for some help! Thank you to everyone on this forum who has provided so much info. I can’t read enough!

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

Hey!

I don’t have time to post a big answer but yes – a lot of your symptoms could be candida related, especially hypoglycemia and fatigue. I had/still have a little but not much of both.

My fatigue was directly related to leaky gut and certain foods. For example, if I ate soy, I’d literally just fall asleep.

If you follow the strict forum diet and protocol, those symptoms will go away in time. For me, it took about 3 months before I realized how much better I was feeling. I’ve slipped back a bit (stress, it freakin’ kills me!), but I’m getting back on track. (BREATHE…slow down…I am one with the world….ohmmmm…)

flynpa
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hi Monte. I had never heard of candida until a coworker told me about it last night. Where can I find this “Ables diet” that you speak of. Thanks!

flynpa
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Found it. Thanks!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Monte,

To answer your question “I’m definitely concerned I’ve damaged my liver now and am wondering what signs I should be looking out for.”

The liver is the main organ that affects how you feel (good/bad/in between). So if you feel like junk its the liver. Other symptoms include irritability, snapping at people, and more.

I have a post about it:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6588_Many-of-your-symptoms-are-liver-symptoms.aspx

I think a lot of your symptoms are related to it and its definitely something that you and most forum members should address. If you don’t get the toxins out of the body, they will stress your liver and kidneys and can even effect your brain.

I have another post to share as well:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst6709_The-health-benefits-of-essential-fatty-acids.aspx

Fatty acids are very important for your general health so be sure to be supplementing yourself with them.

In regards to the foods you listed and what you are eating; I personally think its not cutting it. I would try to eat more food during the day…whatever it takes. I would eat until you are full like thanksgiving after each meal. I would snack as much as possible.

Check out this blood sugar protocol and this should help with your blood sugar problems:
    http://drmccombs.wordpress.com/2011/08/24/blood-sugar-balance-protocol/

We can give you suggestions to what to eat but you really need to give your body the resources it needs to heal.

-raster

Monte
    Participant

Thanks for the info! Sorry so long to reply, but my gosh, I am so busy these days…

Raster, I wish I could feel “full”. I am hypoglycemic and have hyperinsulinemia and apparently insulin resistance causes what they call “constant hunger”. In other words, I never, ever feel full. Never. I have to be very careful what I eat and how much because I can easily get out of control (I’ve gained 15lbs in 10 days before of legitimate weight, not water weight!). It pretty much sucks, but at least I’m cognizant of it and can be mindful about it.

Part of my problem is fighting the fatigue. Sometimes I use food for the energy boost I need, but I”m thinking now after all my research most of my fatigue is Candida related, even though it’s been diagnosed as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I’m curious if anyone else on here has dealt with or deals with the constant hunger issue? On the initial week or two of the strict diet when I was eating just veggies, oils/fats, hemp seeds and chia seeds I didn’t feel as much of the hunger, but now that I’ve introduced a few carbs (coconut flour, gluten free oat bran and today Buckwheat), I’m feeling non-stop hunger again. I would eat 2-3 dozen eggs and several loaves of coconut/oat bran bread if I didn’t control myself!

I have noticed this week my brain fog hasn’t been as bad, and boy and I am machine getting things done when I can focus! I missed this!!

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

Monte;41329 wrote: Thanks for the info! Sorry so long to reply, but my gosh, I am so busy these days…

Raster, I wish I could feel “full”. I am hypoglycemic and have hyperinsulinemia and apparently insulin resistance causes what they call “constant hunger”. In other words, I never, ever feel full. Never. I have to be very careful what I eat and how much because I can easily get out of control (I’ve gained 15lbs in 10 days before of legitimate weight, not water weight!). It pretty much sucks, but at least I’m cognizant of it and can be mindful about it.

Part of my problem is fighting the fatigue. Sometimes I use food for the energy boost I need, but I”m thinking now after all my research most of my fatigue is Candida related, even though it’s been diagnosed as Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I’m curious if anyone else on here has dealt with or deals with the constant hunger issue? On the initial week or two of the strict diet when I was eating just veggies, oils/fats, hemp seeds and chia seeds I didn’t feel as much of the hunger, but now that I’ve introduced a few carbs (coconut flour, gluten free oat bran and today Buckwheat), I’m feeling non-stop hunger again. I would eat 2-3 dozen eggs and several loaves of coconut/oat bran bread if I didn’t control myself!

I have noticed this week my brain fog hasn’t been as bad, and boy and I am machine getting things done when I can focus! I missed this!!

Hi Monte,

I think the constant hunger goes along with this condition, as least in my opinion. I have read many other people claim the same. For me it doesn’t feel the same as the hunger pains I used to get when I was healthy. That normal emptying of the stomach sensation. It’s different and just feels like the desire to eat more. I think Able explained this sensation in a clear way in the past.

I would be careful with the rock climbing though. Most people doing the diet suffer pretty extreme weakness and lack of energy. If you already feel you have a problem with fatigue, it could be even worse for you. You certainly wouldn’t want to become weak when you need it most while rock climbing.

Monte
    Participant

This last weekend I was dying to get out so I went to Utah and went canyoneering. I brought all my food with me. I camped for three nights and we did really, really easy approaches/hikes to reach our canyons, which were also quite easy. Between lack of sleep and the little bit of exercise I was completely wiped out. I’m talking fatigue to the bone, literally. I had to call in sick to work for two days and am still not recovered from it.

What I don’t understand is how this horrid fatigue has become so much worse over these last few months. I used to go through ups and downs where I’d have tons of energy, sleep normal, think clearly, eat normal amounts, feel good, etc. Then all of a sudden my body would turn “off” as I describe it. I would get fatigued, not be able to sleep, had horrific hunger all the time, ached, etc. It was a continuous cycle.

I had my fourth shoulder surgery 3 months ago and I feel like my body has not recovered from it overall. I’ve had horrible tiredness and fatigue since then. I haven’t been back to the gym nor have I done anything outdoors like I used to until this canyoneering trip last weekend.

My question is: Has anyone else dealt with this? I’m certain I’ve had Candida for years, so why would the tiredness and fatigue be hitting me so hard and not going away since my surgery?

I also ended up getting sick, which I’m still battling. I cough all night, horrible, swollen sore throat, etc.

Needless to say, I will be trying to take it much easier now… But this is KILLING me! I’m an active person and I can’t stand just hanging out all the time and not going to the gym! I’m supposed to be getting 2 level disc surgery in my neck soon hopefully, so that will force me to have some more down time as well, but I’m itching to get the energy to go back to the gym.

I’ve heard oral thrush and fatigue are the longest lasting symptoms and I really can’t deal with this fatigue for the next months to years!

alexalgebra
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 643

You are more fatigued now because your body is diverting all of its energy towards healing.

I totally feel you. I am not active in the athletic sense, but I have a million activities and jobs and it is SO hard to only be able to accomplish a fraction of what I used to be able to do in a day. I have also quit dancing temporarily, my one physical activity aside from yoga, but I hope to be back on stage by my groups’ fall performances (I perform with two different groups).

Even just going to a 4-day gaming convention (where you just stand around or sit around and play games…not high impact, here) completely wiped me and set me back about a month and a half, I’d say 🙁 I didn’t cheat with food and still got rest every night, but it was too much activity for my fragile body to handle.

We just have to be patient and let our bodies heal.

Monte
    Participant

Yes alexalgebra, I’m gathering that rest is what’s needed… I’m just having a hard time coping with it : (

I just don’t understand why all of a sudden it seems to have hit me harder in the these last few months and won’t go away. I used to be able to do physical activities, even 17 hours of climbing 14,000 plus mtns in the winter and be fine. Now, I can barely walk up a flight of stairs without feeling it deep in my bones and being tired. I just don’t get it.

I feel like I’m sitting here watching my muscle shrink away, losing all athleticism, and being a frump sitting around all day. I can barely even garden! I know it varies with everyone, but how long has this lasted with others?? Will it ever go away? This is just depressing me… It’s spring and I want to be outside playing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cleanse/Strict Diet and Vigorous Exercise’ is closed to new replies.