Chronic coughs and throat clearing

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Chronic coughs and throat clearing

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

element
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 8

Hello community,

I am a new member desperately seeking guidance. Over the past 2 years I have suffered from chronic cough and throat clearing. It feels as if there is always thick phlegm in my throat and that it is constantly irritated. This irritation forces me to cough and clear my throat all the time. It is very difficult to get the phlegm out, but when I manage to get a bit out, it is simply clear (maybe a little yellow) and sticky. Other than this, I feel fine physically. I don’t have stuffy nose or anything, just an extremely irritated throat. One thing that I have noticed lately is acidic burps.

Doctors have diagnosed me with asthma, post-nasal drip, and more recently acid-reflux, but the prescribed medications have never done much for me. I notice that I have acidic burps at times, but my cough symptoms haven’t faded. I have decided to take matters into my own hands and stumbled into this forum.

I seriously believe I am suffering from candida for the following reasons:

(1) I had a very poor diet in college (total of ~6 years now) which consist of fast foods, junk foods, and drinking juice like it was water daily.
    (2) I believe I am also suffering from some other symptoms including lack of focus, poor memory, oral thrush, dry eyes, dark bags under my eyes (due to lack of sleep?), ringing in the ears, as well as anxiety and stress.

However I can’t say that I am confident about my self-diagnosis. I tried the diet last week, eating mainly vegetables and a small piece of chicken or fish and drinking some water mixed with apple cider vinegar each day. After a few days I thought I was experiencing die-off effects because one night I felt flu-like symptoms, but it went away after drank a lot of water and urinated. Ever since, I haven’t noticed anything significant. I will be going back to school in a few days and plan to restart the diet and strictly follow the guidelines on the forum.

In my research, I have discovered that there are many people who are suffering from the same conditions and have yet to be cured. It is refreshing that I am not alone, but disheartening that so many remain untreated.

Other significant information I discovered include, a link between vitamin b12 and iron deficiency to unusual chronic coughs, globus hystericus, habitual tic, H. Pylori infection, and leaky gut syndrome.

I am begging for some guidance in all of this. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Candidiasis causes the production of phlegm as you probably know, sometimes in access and constantly.

Drinking plenty of water and a tea made from the herb thyme is useful as a decongestant and can probably offer temporary relief for the phlegm, but if you believe the cause is Candida related, then it probably won’t clear up completely until you treat the infestation. If that’s what you decide to do, you should read the following posts. These concern the protocol that most of the forum members follow.

Proper and Safe Cleanse:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst997_Proper-and-Safe-Cleanse.aspx

The Protocol:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

Allowed Foods:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

Let us know if you have additional questions.
    Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I have experienced many of the symptoms that you have mentioned and it could possibly be a candida problem. Since you’ve tried the diet before and experienced die-off, it sounds like a safe bet that the diet could cause the same effects this time around. The anti-candida diet has been effective for treating or reducing many people’s asthma (per Dr. Mccoomb’s), so I definitely suggest giving the diet a try. He has also stated a strong link between acid reflux and candida as well.

-Raster

element

Thank you both for the wealth of information and considerate responses. I have started on the diet today and hope to give you some positive updates in the near future.

My basic meal plan consist of:

-Steamed/boiled vegetables or stir-fried with coconut oil.
    -1-2 organic eggs

I typically eat twice a day, do you recommend I begin eating more often as well?

Supplements:
    – 2x/day – Twinlab’s Stress B-Complex – 1000mg Vitamin C and 250mcg Vitamin B12
    – 3x/day – Natures Made Calcium – 333mg Calcium, 133mg Magnesium, 5mg Zinc
    – 1x/day – GNC Vitamin D-3 5000IU
    – 1x/day – Molybdenum 250mcg

Is there anything I shouldn’t take or should add? Do you have any recommendations for a vitamin A and E supplement? I will be ordering Swedish bitters for detoxing. As far as antifungals go I currently only have coconut oil. Is it recommended I buy all of the ones listed in the protocol or simply pick a few and rotate them?

One last concern I have is exercise. I started intensive weight training over a month ago. While I would like to continue this, I am worried that the lack of protein and energy may hamper my healing process. At the minimum I hope to do about an hour of cardio days/week since exercise relieves me of daily stress. Is this advisable?

Once again, thank you very much for your time and help. You have my deepest gratitude.

Downtown
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 39

element,

I started the diet the 2nd of this month, and I too thought I could continue weightlifting and exercising in general. After starting this diet, I have literally lifted/exercised only a couple times and have lost about 10 lbs. You just will not have the energy to exercise after starting. You will lose weight due to the lower calories in the vegetables you eat (even if you eat alot as i do) as well as cutting out the carbs, if weightloss is a goal. I incorporated eggs pretty heavily in my meals to start, and have added more chicken and fish now to curb weightloss.

Also, Able and Raster both suggest to take some time with only very light exercise if any to give your body time to heal as it will already be overloaded with the diet. The minds behind this forum (A & R) suggest sauna or steamroom for a good sweat as well as releasing toxins.

Number 1 rule in my opinion for diet, exercise, or anything else for that matter is listen to your body. It will tell you what you can and cant handle. Give it time to adjust.

Good luck,
    Dt

raster
    Participant

I would consider not working out for a few weeks to a month. It can really tax the body too much to heal like you mentioned. You might want to consider it 1-2x per week at a maximum. You will be really gassed (tired) in general if you have candida and start the diet. It could be a tough few weeks.

Your diet doesn’t sound good enough (no offense). I would look at eating 3-4 course meals if possible and get some ideas from the allowed foods list and recipes on the forum.

Its up to you when to add these foods but here is my diet as an example:

breakfast:
    greek yogurt, kefir
    pumpkin muffin bread (1 slice)
    2 large eggs
    oat bran

lunch:
    salad
    coconut/teff/buckwheat bread
    phase 2 item

dinner:
    meat (introduce after doing the diet for a few weeks, eggs is a good substitute if vegetarian)
    raw cooked buckwheat or (black/red rice phase 2 item)
    coconut/teff/buckwheat bread
    salad

If you don’t eat enough, you will lose weight and not heal/get better.

-Raster

Able900
    Spectator

I typically eat twice a day, do you recommend I begin eating more often as well?

Yes, you’ll probably need to eat more food while on the diet since it’s so easy to lose weight without carbs, and your digestion will be better by eating 3 or 4 smaller meals a day than 2 large ones.

As far as antifungals go I currently only have coconut oil. Is it recommended I buy all of the ones listed in the protocol or simply pick a few and rotate them?

Two or three is really all you need since you need to rotate them anyway.

One last concern I have is exercise. I started intensive weight training over a month ago. While I would like to continue this..

You really should avoid intense excercise during the treatment. For one reason, you will need to virtually rebuild your immune system, and this will require plenty of rest without overexerting yourself during the process. Light excercises are recommended, such as long walks and swimming. I know, baby stuff, but it won’t last forever.

Do you have any recommendations for a vitamin A and E supplement?

Any of the quality brand names for vitamins should be fine, Mason, Nature Made, etc.

The Vitamin B supplement is the only problem I see with your supplements.
    Look at the percentages of each B vitamin. Does this not seem a bit off balance? Why is the manufacturer assuming that you need 2500% more than the daily requirement for one vitamin, and only 33% more of another? This can cause a complete imbalance of the natural ratio of the various B vitamins in the system.
    Thiamin (as thiamin mononitrate) 50 mg 3,333%
    Vitamin B2 50 mg 2,941%
    Niacin (as niacinamide) 100 mg 500%
    Vitamin B6 50 mg 2,500%
    Folic Acid 400 mcg 100%
    Vitamin B12 250 mcg 4,166%
    Biotin 100 mcg 33%
    Pantothenic Acid (as d-calcium pantothenate) 250 mg 2,500%

The other problem is the additives in the mixture. Flavorings, artificial sweeteners, colorings, preservatives and salicylates. All of these are potential toxins for the body to have to deal with in additon to the toxins released constantly by the Candida.

Able

element

Thank you all for the valuable feedback. I will limit my activity to occasional light jogs and brisk walks in the gym. As far as diet is a concern, I was trying to keep it as simple as possible since I spend most of my time at school or working on my thesis. I find it hard to make a meal plan during phase 0/early phase 1 since I am basically limited to eggs and assorted vegetables.

Breakfast:
    -Lemon water
    -egg and vegetable omelet

Lunch:
    -Lemon water
    -Green salad with lemon and sesame/olive oil

After Lunch:
    -Roasted vegetables with some minced fresh garlic

Dinner:
    -Lemon Water
    -Vegetable stir fry with coconut oil and ginger/garlic

I plan to do this for 1 week before proceeding to phase 1. Afterwards I plan to up my protein intake by adding some chicken and salmon occasionally for dinners. I’m hoping that 4 weeks into phase 1 I will see an improvement in my condition. At this point I will consider adding yogurts and breads as well as some of the other delicious recipes found on this forum. I just want to take it slow and not rush into adding other food items. I am very concerned about losing too much weight. I will try to eat as much vegetables as I can to lessen this effect. If I find myself losing too much weight I will begin to implement some of the bread recipes.

After 2 weeks into phase 1 I will begin taking anti-fungals. I will introduce probiotics once I add yogurt into my meal plan. Any feedback is very welcomed and appreciated. I find your willingness to help me very refreshing.

As far as supplements and vitamins are a concern. I am having a difficult time finding a balanced Vitamin B supplement. As far as Vitamin A and E are concerned, what type of daily dosage should I be aiming for?

Another concern I have is sleep. Should I simply maintain a typical 8-hr sleep or rest a bit longer? I’m not sure whether this may help me heal faster or not.

Able900
    Spectator

As far as supplements and vitamins are a concern. I am having a difficult time finding a balanced Vitamin B supplement.

Reply: If you read over the vitamin and mineral post that was given on the protocol link I gave you, you would have seen that we do not recommend a vitamin B supplement. Once you start the probiotics, kefir, yogurt, and probiotic capsules, you’re going to obtain beneficial bacteria which will produce all the B vitamins that you need as they’re needed.

As far as Vitamin A and E are concerned, what type of daily dosage should I be aiming for?

Reply: Again, all the vitamins & minerals with doses are already explained on the link I just mentioned.

Another concern I have is sleep. Should I simply maintain a typical 8-hr sleep or rest a bit longer? I’m not sure whether this may help me heal faster or not.

Reply: Sleep is much more necessary during your treatment than you can imagine. Obtain as many hours sleep as you can including short naps at any time or longer ones perhaps over the weekend. Rest & sleep is of ultimate importance in rebuilding the immune system which all Candida sufferers need to do.

Able

raster
    Participant

One thing I learned last night from my naturopath is that coughing is a sign that your lungs are being used as a dumping grounds for toxins. So the likely reason you are coughing is because the toxins are being detoxed via your lungs. You should notice a big improvement after doing the diet for a long time, but in the short term, I would expect the coughing to get worse as the candida dies and releases toxins. Hope this helps!

-Raster

element

Thank you all for the feedback and information. I am glad I found this forum. This community is awesome. I will do my best to keep to this diet and look forward to updating all of you with positive results in the near future. Much thanks!

element

I have been on the cleanse for 5 days now. I do not believe I have experienced any die-off effects, except for occasional pain on the left side of the bottom of my abdomen (I think this may be due to toxin overload on my kidneys, it seems to go away after a drink a lot of water and flush it out). I have been taking vitamin c, calcium, and molybdenum supplements (1/day). I haven’t started any anti-fungals yet, except for some coconut oil and raw garlic.

My basic diet during the cleanse has been:

Breakfast: 2 eggs and spinach omelet cooked in coconut oil, with cooked minced garlic, garlic powder, and ginger powder.

Lunch: Simple green salad with lemon juice, sesame oil, and raw minced garlic.

Dinner: Stir-fried broccoli or Chinese broccoli in sesame oil, with cooked minced garlic, ginger powder

I notice that I get phlegm build up after I drink lemon water. Throughout this cleanse, I felt like I still had a lot of energy. I decided to run a mile today, and afterwards I started having excessive phlegm. This prompted coughing and throat clearing fits. This was the first time I really exercised since starting the cleanse. I think it is a good idea to just stop in the meantime.

I’ve been losing a lot of weight this week. I will try to add another meal during the day to combat this. I have to admit that this diet is really hard. I am anxiously waiting for the day when I can introduce coconut breads into my meal.

I guess my main question is whether I should go ahead and proceed to phase 1. I don’t want to rush into phase 1, but I am tempted because I would like to have some sort of confirmation that candida may be the source of my problems. Should I begin taking antifungals as well?

raster
    Participant

Go ahead and start phase 1 whenever you are ready.

You should be experiencing die-off symptoms. The best way to trigger die-off symptoms is through the use of antifungals. You should feel pretty ill, like you have the cold/flu. If you do not experience die-off symptoms, then you might not have candida overgrowth.

-Raster

element

Thank you for the feedback Raster. I did experience some flu-like symptoms one night, but it only lasted for about 30 minutes and then went away. What is your opinion on the pain on the left side of the bottom of my abdomen? I think this started once I began the cleanse. I definitely have a white fuzzy layer on my tongue which is why I suspected I may have candida.

Today, I ate about 6 cloves of raw garlic and about 2 teaspoons of coconut oil. I haven’t experienced die-off yet. I just received oregano oil softgels today. Should I begin taking them now or alternate after 2 weeks.

Overall, I believe I am coughing a little less and it seems like there is less phlegm build up in my throat. However, I noticed that I felt more phlegm when I drank lemon water. When I managed to spit some of it out I noticed that it was yellow. It has been relatively clear in the recent past.

I’m beginning to think that I may have some sort of food allergy. I noticed that my phlegm issue comes and goes daily and randomly throughout the day. Even so, I am planning to stay on this diet for at least a month before looking for other possible causes for my symptoms. Thank you for the help!

Chiskinlady
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 18

I did a search for anything on ‘phlegm’ & this thread came up…
    I am also experiencing a tonof phlegm & throat clearing. There were always certain foods that caused that with me (eggs, potatoes, dairy, etc.,) but ever since starting the cleanse, I pretty much hack for 10-20 minutes after I eat anything… I even became mucus-y after drinking water after a walk one evening. I was told that mucus usually means an allergic reaction, but Raster made a good point that maybe it’s just my lungs detoxing themselves. Is there anything I can do to lessen it? It’s to the point where I’m almost afraid to eat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Chronic coughs and throat clearing’ is closed to new replies.