Chickory Coffee Question

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Chickory Coffee Question

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Miriam 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Funbuzz1
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 9

I went to whole foods and my local nutrition store and all of the chickory coffee contains barley. Is barley acceptable on the “strict diet”?

I purchased an Ayurvedic Coffee and it hasn’t created any issues as near as I can tell. I havent had any in over a week though. Here are the ingredients:
    Organic Roasted Barley, Organic Roasted Rye, Organic Roasted Chickory, Organic Ashwagandha, Organic Shatavari, Organic Brahmi, Organic French Vanilla

Is there anything in this to avoid?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’d get organic chickory where chickory is the only ingredient. They may sell some in the herbs section. You can order online or grow in garden as well.

-raster

Funbuzz1

Thanks for the advice Raster. Much appreciated, we are beginning to plan our garden for this year. I will add that in. I’m still interested to know if any of the ingredients are already known to cause flare ups.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

Funbuzz1;35183 wrote: Thanks for the advice Raster. Much appreciated, we are beginning to plan our garden for this year. I will add that in. I’m still interested to know if any of the ingredients are already known to cause flare ups.

Funbuzz, I purchase mine from Nuts.com. The only ingredient is Chicory. I have been using the company for years and they produce great quality products. The version I buy is not organic. The price is 6.99 for 1lb. I think Chicory should be definite for all on this diet based on it’s high Prebiotic %. Able drank it for several months during his treatment and is healed now;further proof it’s a good choice. I have really grown to like it and drink it without any coconut milk, just a dash of cinnamon.

I found this list of top prebiotic foods on wikipedia. Obviously we can’t eat the bottom 3.

Top 10 Foods Containing Prebiotics
    Food Prebiotic Fiber Content by Weight
    Raw Chicory Root 64.6%
    Raw Jerusalem Artichoke 31.5%
    Raw Dandelion Greens 24.3%
    Raw Garlic 17.5%
    Raw Leek 11.7%
    Raw Onion 8.6%
    Cooked Onion 5%
    Raw Asparagus 5%
    Raw Wheat bran 5%
    Whole Wheat flour, Cooked 4.8%
    Raw Banana 1%
    Source[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_(nutrition)

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I personally wouldn’t consume something that has grains in the ingredients such as barley and rye. Whole foods will take it back if you don’t like this…

-raster

Funbuzz1

raster;35295 wrote: I personally wouldn’t consume something that has grains in the ingredients such as barley and rye. Whole foods will take it back if you don’t like this…

-raster

Yes, as I am learning more I am in agreement with you. Although it didn’t seem to have a negative effect on me, it’s hard to know what’s occurring on the inside. I think I will refrain for now. I’m better to have one of the teas on the list when I’m I reach for a warm beverage.

Funbuzz1

kodaz2005;35290 wrote:

Thanks for the advice Raster. Much appreciated, we are beginning to plan our garden for this year. I will add that in. I’m still interested to know if any of the ingredients are already known to cause flare ups.

Funbuzz, I purchase mine from Nuts.com. The only ingredient is Chicory. I have been using the company for years and they produce great quality products. The version I buy is not organic. The price is 6.99 for 1lb. I think Chicory should be definite for all on this diet based on it’s high Prebiotic %. Able drank it for several months during his treatment and is healed now;further proof it’s a good choice. I have really grown to like it and drink it without any coconut milk, just a dash of cinnamon.

I found this list of top prebiotic foods on wikipedia. Obviously we can’t eat the bottom 3.

Top 10 Foods Containing Prebiotics
    Food Prebiotic Fiber Content by Weight
    Raw Chicory Root 64.6%
    Raw Jerusalem Artichoke 31.5%
    Raw Dandelion Greens 24.3%
    Raw Garlic 17.5%
    Raw Leek 11.7%
    Raw Onion 8.6%
    Cooked Onion 5%
    Raw Asparagus 5%
    Raw Wheat bran 5%
    Whole Wheat flour, Cooked 4.8%
    Raw Banana 1%
    Source[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prebiotic_(nutrition)

Thanks! I will check out the link.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

I would definitely avoid the glutenous grains it contains (barley, rye). Mountain Rose Herbs sells very high-quality herbs in bulk online, and I suspect you can get chicory from them.

Funbuzz1

shayfo;35338 wrote: I would definitely avoid the glutenous grains it contains (barley, rye). Mountain Rose Herbs sells very high-quality herbs in bulk online, and I suspect you can get chicory from them.

Thanks! Good to know. I appreciate the referral.

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,
    You can go online to vitacost.com and order chickory root coffee. Chickory root is the only ingredient. I notice a significant reduction in my blood sugar. Great for me since I’m a diabetic. It is roasted chickory. The best that I can find and I havbe been looking for quite a while. Good luck
    Miriam

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Chickory Coffee Question’ is closed to new replies.