Chew your food longer! Simple tip to improve your health.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Chew your food longer! Simple tip to improve your health.

This topic contains 20 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  LESNYC 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Remember the good old days when your parents told you to chew your food properly? Like you possibly, I never paid attention to this idea…

Tonight, I went to my naturopath and he had some great health tips based on the results of my adrenal fatigue test.

While the test showed I don’t have adrenal fatigue currently; it did somehow show that I wasn’t chewing my food long enough based on one of the hormones I am deficient in!

I couldn’t believe it, I was like…huh? “Ya, I just eat my food without thinking about it” I responded, “maybe 4-5 bites and thats it.” Actually, it’d be best described as “gobbling my food down” very quickly. Very little chewing.

If you were to just chew you food liked 20-30 bites for each bite, this can improve your digestion and health tremendously! Starting today I am chewing my food longer.

Here is an paragraph from an article on the subject:

“The action of chewing mechanically breaks down very large aggregates of food molecules into smaller particles. This results in the food having increased surface area, an important contributing factor to good digestion. In addition to the obvious benefit of reduced esophageal stress that accompanies swallowing smaller, versus larger, pieces of food, there is another very important benefit to chewing your food well that comes with its ability to be exposed to saliva for a longer period of time.”

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=36

monita
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 28

Hi Raster.

This is true but there are also a set of initial digestive enzymes in your saliva that start the digestive process before you even swallow. If you are not chewing food then this process is skipped and the body has a harder time of breaking it down in the stomach and gut.

I’d be interested to hear if you feel any different from here on in from chewing your food more thoroughly. :o)

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

whow! thank you Raster. I forgot about that. Even today I was eating like a dog, gobbling away with two bites and swallow it down.

I too will change that. I think I have to write a sign in the kitchen not to forget.

cheers
    Thomas

Hikingartist
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

This is a wonderful reminder. Thank you so much for posting it.

Alleycatsprat
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 2

Wow, very informative…thanks! I think I tend to eat rather fast, so now I’ll be sure to focus and enjoy.

kirstyk4
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 125

I read somewhere that it was recommend to not drink too much water while you are eating your meals. It said it would dilute concentration of enzymes in the stomach and hinder digestion. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Kirsty

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

That’s true, Kirsty. Research shows that a small amount of liquid taken during a meal is okay, but drinking a lot can cause digestion problems because excess liquid can dilute the stomach acids as well as digestive enzymes. The advice is to drink liquids before a meal and two hours afterwards.

Also, drinking too much water during meals can affect the insulin level in the blood, because lots of water drank during the meal increases blood sugar faster. The more insulin that’s released, the more fat it’s likely to store in the body.

Able

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Thanks for the bump. I’d started chewing more, and I’d read about the water thing too. I wasn’t sure how true it was, but I’ll be sure to limit water during meals from now on.

fml432
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 35

Able900 wrote: That’s true, Kirsty. Research shows that a small amount of liquid taken during a meal is okay, but drinking a lot can cause digestion problems because excess liquid can dilute the stomach acids as well as digestive enzymes. The advice is to drink liquids before a meal and two hours afterwards.

Also, drinking too much water during meals can affect the insulin level in the blood, because lots of water drank during the meal increases blood sugar faster. The more insulin that’s released, the more fat it’s likely to store in the body.

Able

Oh hey! Now that’s something I hadn’t heard. I knew about the chewing food thing (though I still have to actively tell myself–CHEW MORE) but I wasn’t aware drinking too much during a meal can be bad. I’ll watch for that from now on!

Chlofloso
    Topics: 28
    Replies: 104

Definitely agree. I try to stick to three rules:

– chewing food until it’s almost liquid and eating slowly in general (that makes you feel full with less food – having too much food in the stomach is stress for the metabolism)
    – not drinking during meals and half an hour before and after meals
    – not eating raw food after 4 p.m. (apparently it ferments in the gut overnight which is supposed to be bad – however i don’t know much about this)

i’ve also heard that you should wait 4-5 hours between meals to allow your digestive system to digest as much as possible from your last meal. i’ve heard that, as soon as you eat again, your intestines will actually become lazy and your body will concentrate on the new food coming into the stomach. i’ve sticked to this during the last weeks, but i’m not sure if it’s true and of course this is the complete opposite from mccombs’ idea of eating snacks every hour to maintain the blood sugar level. i think my body has gotten used to it, only after four hours i get symptoms of low blood sugar.

many nutritionists also say you shouldn’t eat after 7 p.m. and go to bed with an empty stomach, a full stomach will affect the quality of your sleep and many people wake up at the so called “liver time” which is some four or five hours after you eat, because then the liver has to work and the liver can only work well if you’re awake. i have no scientific data about all this, but i have indeed observed that i wake up at night if i eat too late. still often don’t manage to stick to this though…

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I wanted to bump this for a variety of reasons. I feel that many of us are here because of their lifestyle and personal habits. One habit many of us may have is eating your food too fast! I have this problem and its a hard one to break. I try to stop it, but its very difficult.

Gross warning!:

Today I went to the bathroom and afterwards I noticed that some spinach was completely undigested by my body! So gross and so sad to see this. I assume it was from lunch yesterday…and that day I did eat very quickly! After 9 months on the diet you don’t want to see this and I feel shaken to the bone thinking about how crummy my eating habits are. No wonder I have a major problem here…I just can’t chew my food enough!

There could be other factors of course, but this is the most simple explanation.

-raster

GayBofill
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 34

Hey Raster,

I used to be a macrobiotic chef and the “father” of macrobiotics, Micho Kushi believes that one should chew their food 100 times before swallowing! Right. I was successful with that one for about a day. My thought on chewing 100 times per mouthful was (and I asked Michio Kushi this when I saw him in person) “How do you have a conversation with the person you’re eating with if you’re so busy chewing 100 x per mouthful! He said, “Ah, especially if you’re on a date!”

Fortunately I’m married now so I don’t have to deal with the dating thing but yes, chewing is probably one of the most important steps in the digestion process since digestion does begin in the mouth.

Sadly, as a fast paced New Yorker, chewing 100 x per mouthful doesn’t seem to be in my daily agenda these days. Sigh. but…it probably should be! I’m glad to read your post because it reminds me how I need to treat my body better if I want it to be good to me.

Chews Healthy!
    GB

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

raster wrote: I wanted to bump this for a variety of reasons. I feel that many of us are here because of their lifestyle and personal habits. One habit many of us may have is eating your food too fast! I have this problem and its a hard one to break. I try to stop it, but its very difficult.

Gross warning!:

Today I went to the bathroom and afterwards I noticed that some spinach was completely undigested by my body! So gross and so sad to see this. I assume it was from lunch yesterday…and that day I did eat very quickly! After 9 months on the diet you don’t want to see this and I feel shaken to the bone thinking about how crummy my eating habits are. No wonder I have a major problem here…I just can’t chew my food enough!

There could be other factors of course, but this is the most simple explanation.

-raster

Hi raster,

I was always a fast chewer, I don’t really have time to chew. I fill up my mouth, chew a bit and swallow. Socially, I was the slowest eater, but not because of the chewing, but because of talking (I am chatty person as you may have noticed from my posts).

The thing I wanted to ask is that even though this was what I did most of my life, I never noticed parts of food floating in the toilet. This changed recently when I started having digestion problems. Any clue in what changed? Is candida the one that is causing this now? I don’t have diarrhea since starting the diet, but my BM is loose and it takes two to three flushes to get rid of it. Also, it is lighter and ofter greenish color. I was always more on the darker hard BM side and even constipated mostly in my younger days. When I got older I started eating more fiber and healthier, but the BM was solid and every morning. Now, I have one to three BM’s in the morning and rarely one in the afternoon.

I am asking this to determine if this is part of the candida disease, healing process, or it should be normal. Can you share your experiences or knowledge please?

Thanks in advance!

Arijana

samuel50
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 26

Chewing helps to digest our food faster that’s the reason for it.

bpaul90
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 7

So does anyone know how digestion is affected if food was blended up (veggie drink/veggie soup) and drank? Of course it would be like pre-chewed food, but there would be minimal contact with saliva and so less enzyme secretion. I’m just wondering because I make a lot of veggie smoothies that I drink down as fast as I can, but maybe digestive bitters make up for the minimal contact with saliva?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Chew your food longer! Simple tip to improve your health.’ is closed to new replies.