Cheese?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  shayfo 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

Okay, so I know that this is a dangerous question but I am going to ask it anyway? Are there any long-timers on here, people that have successfully cured their candida problems that eat cheese? Are there cheeses that are considered better than others? I am not going to eat cheese every day or even every week… but I would like to know if some day I may be able to eat cheese again. I know that goat cheese is lower in lactose but I would like to know if anyone on here has experimented at all with cheeses and if so, what were the results. I think that I can learn to live without a lot of things, but I don’t want to live without cheese forever. Thanks!

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

Don’t quote me but I know I read that if any cheese consumed it should be mozzarella cheese. Idk where the hell I read it though. I miss cheese horribly

shayfo
    Replies: 668

In a few of Able’s posts describing his post-cure diet, he mentions eating pimento cheese and jalapeno poppers (which I assume also contain cheese). I think it’s probably something that can be eaten in careful moderation after successfully achieving a cure.

Kag

Hmm.. I wonder if Mozzerella is lower sugar? I don’t know. I just wanted to have something that I could put in my head as a goal eventually. I really miss cheese. Anybody have any thoughts on goat cheese? We do have one at the Co-op that is lactose free. I wouldn’t have it now, but I was thinking maybe in a year. 🙂

Emsmith
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 137

Here is a recipe for cheese. i enjoyed one similar to this….http://janeshealthykitchen.com/vegan-cheddar-cheese-2/#.UTK6PYy9KK0

Tangy, easily grates, with garlic, coconut butter, nutritional yeast, vit c, coc oil

Kag

Is nutritional yeast okay to use? I have read conflicting things about this..

shayfo

I think it depends on whether you have a yeast allergy. It can’t feed candida, but some people react to it anyway. I’ve been eating it with no problem, and I think the high B-vitamin content helps me.

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

Have you tried kefir cheese? It’s nice on coconut toast like cream cheese. I also add it to eggs sometimes but of course heating it destroys the benefits.

What I have heard about cheese is the younger the better. I have experimented with chèvre and cottage cheese. Neither of them seem to bother me but I wouldn’t make it an everyday thing, or even every week.
    I also just ordered some creme fraiche cultures, and plan to make my own, as well as cottage cheese.

Cheese is definitely not a part of a strict Candida diet. I came to the candida diet through Atkins, and I would agree it’s important to cut out cheese if you wan to heal.

Kag

Hmmm… well maybe I will try the nutrtional yeast at some point. I like that it has B’s

I haven’t ever heard of cheese made with Kefir, I don’t believe it is something that we have a the Co-op. We do have a goat cheese that is listed as “lactose-free”, but I am not sure if maybe that is because the serving size is small.

Kag

Also, from what I have seen, the older a cheese is, the better it is… So confusing.. I may try the Beemster cheese again at some point. I don’t know if maybe the cultures they use to make cheese are bad for you? I would assume that if they “age-out” the lactose, it might be okay at some point. I would like to try kefir cheese though, that sounds very tasty. I can’t drink kefir right now, gives me terrible reflux.

yeastygut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 34

Cheese… I have been overdoing it with cheese lately… on many candida diets cottage cheese is allowed, as well as goat cheese, feta, ricotta, and I believe mozzarella. I think cheese in moderation is okay (it was for me when I was eating it in moderation), but I have noticed since I have been over-cheesing my ears have become the slightest bit achy and I have also been craving cheese, which is not the best sign. I’M ADDICTED! I have really been meaning to cut cheese out again, but it keeps showing up in my refrigerator… moderation is key!

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

I think there is a way 2 make kefir cheese, I certainly wanna find out sounds yummy! Everything I read says the younger mozzarella,, feta, goat, cottage all better.

I hope I get to the point where I can consume cheese regularly I mean maybe not everyday but a few times a wk. I am not planning to stay on any diet after my symptoms are gone but to eat healthy and balanced with dairy, fruit, meat and rye or other breads and pastas not to high in carbs.

I think it depends on your symptoms and how u choose to eat though. If u don’t have a lactose problem I’d go for the lactose free goat cheese if your symptoms are getting better 1st .

shayfo

A former roommate told me he heard that cheese has addictive, opiate-like properties, but I never looked it up until tonight. Interesting…no wonder we want it so bad! The chemicals tell us we do :p
    http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/blogs/thenextgreatgeneration/2012/04/culinarily_curious_addicted_to.html
    http://www.vegsource.com/articles2/barnard_food_seduction.htm
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/cheese-contains-morphine.html

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

kefir has been giving me issues also for some reason. Shame on me but tonight was my cheat meal, I do allow myself to have on once a week. Not recommended thats for sure, however for me it is ok. I had three tacos and had some cheese. No bad reactions at all, no extra bloating, no added reflux but I m sure the high carbs feed the bad stuff. But back on the diet tomorrow morning, yay. I used to eat cheese everyday, being Italian I ate cheese, pasta and beef everyday for years. Wonder why I have bugs in my gut lol. Idk how much sugar is in mozzarella cheese

jay253
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 43

check the scd allowed food list for low lactose cheese most all hard or aged are good, mozzarella isn’t allowed for some reason

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Cheese?’ is closed to new replies.