Cause of swolen lips/gums?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Cause of swolen lips/gums?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Kag 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

pattie s.
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 8

Hello everyone, we have a situation in which our candida sufferer is complaining of swollen lips and gums (she has had all of her teeth extracted). Is this simply yeast-related or could it be due to a certain food, supplement, or even die-off? Is this a common symptom that others have experienced? Thank you for your thoughts.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Patti.
    I’m sorry to hear this about your sister. Has she been wearing dentures at all since she had her teeth pulled? Also does her tongue or throat contain any amount of thrush?

Able

pattie s.

Hi Able,

She has dentures but rarely wears them, maybe a handful of times in the last 6-7 months. She does have oral thrush, for which she uses Clotrimazole lozenges and occasionally tries oil-pulling w/tea tree oil. She does fear that the thrush may spread into her throat. The swelling has become a regularly occurring issue – she complains of it every 1-2 days.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Is she using pure tea tree oil for oil-pulling?

Able900
    Spectator

pattie s.;40339 wrote: She has dentures but rarely wears them

If she had thrush, which it appears she does, I was going to suggest oil pulling.
    It looks like Shay knows something about using tea tree oil for this, so she can tell you about using it.

I would advise your sister not to use the dentures at all until her infestation has healed. A lot of times dentures are actually a cause of Candida in the mouth.

Able

shayfo

I was just going to say that tea tree essential oil used straight could be causing inflammation and pain, if that’s the type she’s using. It’s extremely strong stuff. I would recommend melting a cup of coconut oil and mixing only 2-4 drops of tea tree essential oil into it. Then store the infused oil and use it for oil-pulling daily for a while. The coconut oil has the added bonus of being anti-inflammatory as well as antifungal. I oil-pull almost every day and my non-candida-related dental issues have improved dramatically (I never had thrush to begin with).

pattie s.

Actually, she uses tea tree oil mouthwash – only once a week or so, however. It is hard for her to oil-pull much longer than four or five minutes before it begins to hurt too much. If I can convince her to try it, we may try using melted coconut oil for some relief. However, last week we gave her a tbsp. of raw organic extra virgin coconut oil and she had a severe herpes outbreak a couple of hours later, as well as swollen gums and lips. I was just curious if this is a common symptom and what the cause of it may be. Thank you

Able900
    Spectator

pattie s.;40348 wrote: Actually, she uses tea tree oil mouthwash – only once a week or so, however. It is hard for her to oil-pull much longer than four or five minutes before it begins to hurt too much. If I can convince her to try it, we may try using melted coconut oil for some relief. However, last week we gave her a tbsp. of raw organic extra virgin coconut oil and she had a severe herpes outbreak a couple of hours later, as well as swollen gums and lips. I was just curious if this is a common symptom and what the cause of it may be. Thank you

Patti, was the tablespoon of coconut oil she took the first time she had taken the oil? If not, how much had she been taking before this?
    I’m sorry about all the questions, Patti, but with such a severe case as your sister has, I certainly don’t want to be guessing about anything unless I have no other choice, and even then I’d rather not.

Able

shayfo

If she can’t handle coconut oil right now, sesame oil is used in Ayurvedic medicine for oil-pulling. To the best of my knowledge, sesame oil isn’t antifungal, so it shouldn’t cause intense die-off, but it can still be a carrier oil for tea tree essential oil, and even plain it’ll help with general detoxification. (Just make sure it’s not toasted sesame oil which is dark in color, because it’ll taste reeeally gross to have a mouthful of that.) Most mouthwashes are alcohol-based, so the alcohol could possibly be aggravating her thrush and the surfaces inside her mouth.

pattie s.

Able,

The only time she has had coconut oil was when trying that one tablespoon of it.

The swelling in her mouth and lips is getting worse each day now and we are at a loss as to its cause.

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Patti.

we gave her a tbsp. of raw organic extra virgin coconut oil and she had a severe herpes outbreak a couple of hours later, as well as swollen gums and lips.

With an entire tablespoon of coconut oil, she started with way too much oil at one time considering the severity of her infestation, Patti, and since this all took place after taking the oil, then the amount is more than likely what caused all the discomfort. But she definitely needs to be taking coconut oil now, even if she has to start with ¼ of a teaspoon a day, and this is what I suggest you start her on right away. Give her the 1/4 teaspoon for about three days before adding more unless she is still experiencing die-off from the quarter teaspoon. Go up to only 1/2 of a teaspoon for other three or four days. You can continue to raise the amount very, very slowly up to 15 teaspoons of coconut oil a day spread throughout the day; this is going to help to rebuild the flora in her intestines which will be necessary before her body can heal.

As Shay suggested, with oil-pulling she can use sesame oil or coconut oil (alternate these two starting with sesame oil for a few days), but I think I would leave the tea tree oil alone for the time being. Hopefully this will be less painful than the tea tree oil was. If you haven’t already done so, please read the instructions on the following website. Oil-Pulling for Oral Thrush .

When you have time, Patti, please let me know what supplements and doses she’s taking at this time; especially as far as her probiotics are concerned. And is she drinking homemade kefir now?

If she isn’t already doing the following, she can take Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate at 250 mcg four times a day, milk thistle (see below), and Candidate by Native remedies. All of these are for protection from the die-off she’ll be having all through the treatment, especially in the first several months. Also she should be drinking plenty of water throughout the day and please don’t allow her to become constipated at this time even if she has to take milk of magnesium or something else to prevent it.

Milk Thistle
    “To cleanse and protect the liver as well as for liver damage from the Candida toxin, aldehyde, the recommended dose of milk thistle is 420 mg/day containing at least 70-80% silymarin. Silymarin is a flavonoid that is extracted from the seeds of milk thistle and is the beneficial part of the herb.

The highest amount recommended is 560 mg/day for 16 days; after 16 days the dose can be reduced to 430 mg a day. This amount is recommended for intrahepatic cholestasis treatment, but the same amount could be taken if severe liver damage is suspected. The dose you decide to take should be spread out over approximately a 15-16 hour period.”

Able

Kag
    Replies: 402

Hey Patti, basically the only major yeast problem I have had lately is this lip problem. I also had a rash on my lips that was non-herpetic. It went on severely for at least 5 months before I got on this diet. I would highly recommend the oil-pulling, especially with coconut oil. She should make sure to spit this out after pulling and rinse her mouth out. It was a very looong process for me to get rid of this and my lips still burn from time to time, I think when I inadvertantly eat something that I am not supposed to. Is she doing any better in general since she started the diet or are things about the same?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cause of swolen lips/gums?’ is closed to new replies.